Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Politics

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 02:51
the math here seems a little off to me ->>
Exports: EU 54%
Germany 11%
France 9%
Netherlands 7%
Ireland 7%

11+9+7+7=54? ... with math like that it worries me how bad the schooling is for them

am i to gather that this is what? the import - export total trade for the UK?

you can't go on general trade (if thats what it is) because a country can't survive on general trade, only living nessesities - suchas Food, Clothing, Fossil Fuels, Wood ... oh yeah but wait the UK doesn't import ANY of that

IF the ecomony feel the imported furnature whould simply shift to the US for us - which quite frankly wouldn't really add that much on, or atleast the materials would.

If the ecomony crashed then Britian still has viable options of other countries for import revenue, and that aside because the UKs currency is the strongest it is generally the one that is the offset marker for the other markets.

Anyways you look at it, the US and UK could simply survive between themselves because the import-export between themselves and europe is almost the same, which means the slack could be taken up by falling back on each other.
Aside from this they're already trading more than any other nations anyways.
The currency would fluctuate, and cause a market scare - but nothing that couldn't be recovered from, and as the US and other countries would go through the same - this still keeps the playing fields relatively level.

Anyway you look at it, the Euro is a bad idea to take over our OWN currency.
And the EU doesn't have ANY power over our treasury, it has been stated greatly over the past few years ... it is also a fact that the EU doesn't actually hold as much power over the British Government as they'd like to within the British shores, however outside of them they have total jurisdiction.

The EMU as you call it, is a BRANCH of the EU ... governed by the European Bank - so you can think of it more infact as the EMU is the Treasury and the EU is the government - and they do set the inflation rates to keep things stable.

BMW have show massive losses because the profits are based on current translation only ... 12million profit now is 1/3 of what it would have been 12months ago.

The Euro is not stable at all it is dropping in value daily, the changes just arn't as large as they were when it was first introduced. Over the past 3months it has dropped 0.20 odd points - this isn't much to you who isn't trading in millions per day, but this hits the big businesses HARD.
Especially those who'd trade is actually import|exporting goods, suchas Carlsberg Larger and Jaguar Cars!
its the fault of the Euro that the Pound agains the US Dollar is now about 1.5x rather than 1.6xits - this is the only reason they seem more stable now as well!

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 04:55
Quote: "
you can't go on general trade (if thats what it is) because a country can't survive on general trade, only living nessesities - suchas Food, Clothing, Fossil Fuels, Wood ... oh yeah but wait the UK doesn't import ANY of that
"

An industrialised nation CANNOT (I repeat CANNOT) survive on such basic things that you mentioned. Obviously it's beyond your imagination what would happen if the EU dies.

If the ecomony crashed then Britian still has viable options of other countries for import revenue, and that aside because the UKs currency is the strongest it is generally the one that is the offset marker for the other markets.
"

Really, I thought it was the US$. Must have missed something. I always thought I saw currencies compared to the dollar.

Anyways you look at it, the US and UK could simply survive between themselves because the import-export between themselves and europe is almost the same, which means the slack could be taken up by falling back on each other.
"

LOL.

Anyway you look at it, the Euro is a bad idea to take over our OWN currency.
And the EU doesn't have ANY power over our treasury, it has been stated greatly over the past few years ... it is also a fact that the EU doesn't actually hold as much power over the British Government as they'd like to within the British shores, however outside of them they have total jurisdiction.
"

Well maybe you should read the newspaper more often.

BMW have show massive losses because the profits are based on current translation only ... 12million profit now is 1/3 of what it would have been 12months ago.
"

???

The Euro is not stable at all it is dropping in value daily, the changes just arn't as large as they were when it was first introduced. Over the past 3months it has dropped 0.20 odd points -
"

I really would like to know where you get your statistics from. 30% Norht Sea Oil, most imports from Asian countries... and now this one. Please inform yourself before you post.

this isn't much to you who isn't trading in millions per day, but this hits the big businesses HARD.
"

Sorry, I totally forgot that you transfer millions of dollars a day, while I'm too blind to see what the big business is, because I never had anything to do with it in my whole life.

This will be my last post here. Simply because I'm tired to correct wrong numbers and imaginary statistics while facts are simply ignored anyway.
Surely the EMU has flaws and came too early (as I've stated before) but quite frankly, I haven't read anything worth talking about from you in that point. You have a strange imagination of how international economy works- but I guess that's just a lack of expierence. So, dream on.

Ogres have layers.
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
I think GW's father is more into golf than puppeteering anybody. No if anyone's pulling the strings it's been:
Halliburton Oil
Harken Energy
The Carlyon Group
Enron
etc...

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 12:54
probably good ol Dick Chaney (sp?)

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 20:40
Empty... i get alot of my figures and such from papers, as well as Bloomberg and such.

Share prices are always offset by the strongest contributer (simple economic knowlage ) which at this point happens to be the £ ... just because other countries don't say everything to the £ is because it isn't the widest used currency. Big differences in Economics and general knowlage which i'd suggest you'd look up on.

I'm still saying your math before is completely screwball

as for the BMW i'll lay that out in a simpler setup for you...

say BMW earn a profit margin of €10million each quarter for a year, meaning €40million in all.
now if the exchange of the Euro -> Dollar is 1.00 in March, we can assume that the first Quarter is $10million

however let say this drops by 20 points to 0.80 by January next year - so this means that if you do a predictive value for this then in Q1 its 1.0 ($10million) Q2 it is 0.925 ($9.25million) and in Q3 it is 0.85 ($8.5million) and finally in Q4 its 0.8 ($8million) ...

so you can see that they're loosing around 20% of their predicted profits. Although currencies are never this clean cut, the point is - althought TECHNICALLY they're turning over the same, on the world wide scale they're loosing money.

our "industrilised" nation is quite self sufficient, infact if you think hard about it its not like we've not had to do without the European trade before!
It is simply a bonus to our economy, nothing more - if the needs be we can survive on our own.
Alot of the European countries can't though ... simply because they're so intermingled now, whereas the UK has in the past always kept an arms length from being a European player.

somehow i get the feeling you just don't like what i'm saying here, and are running out of responses.
alot of stock brokers deal in this kinda cash each day using the principals of Economics ... which most people i know have learnt at school - you don't have to actually trade in millions to understand what it is worth.

if BMW actually lost $2million a year in revenue this isn't actually a great amount in thier terms, however you have to think down the line - this is about 10,000 jobs in one of thier plants.

BMW have pulled out the other UK and cut back greatly within the US over the last twelve months, thanks to that stable €
the problem isn't having it stable, but where it stables itself out after a market crash like what happened just after Sept 2001 and March 2002 - the Euro couldn't handle it.

As far as the EU's power in Britian is consern'd, have you ever read BEYOND a tabloid
they're oftenly a bias'd report on something they very rarely get full facts upon. Alot of the times the Euro gets the rights over something is when the stupid government can't be bothered to fight it. The Beurchracy between thew UK and the EU is just pathetic, even within the UK its getting stupid.
It takes several week for appeals and such to go throu and setup meetings etc... by which time the EU have already done what they want to and its too late.

Its not a case of power, its a case of everyone fart-arseing around wasting time aruging about forms and official stuff rather than getting on with what they should.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 21:20
"I'm still saying your math before is completely screwball"

Unfortunately Vegeta, there are so-called "statistics", even from reliable sources, which can be used to argue either way. It is how you report them.

IMO, whatever people may say favourably about the EU and Europe, the past tells us that it will not work and as for the present - don't get me started.

I don't know as much about the Economy or Geography as empty of Vegeta, but it doesn't take a genius to see at ground level what will inevitably happen. I think, the war is lost - maybe the IRA can do us a favour and blast our Prime Minister for us.

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 21:21
"empty of Vegeta"

empty or Vegeta. ahem

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 17:55:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 17:55:56