Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I'm back!! What did I miss?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2003 21:29
I went home for Christmas and now I'm back at uni, Yippee!

I don't even know where to start.... so much reading to catch up on!!!

Did anyone miss me?

One big disadvantage about home is no internet access cause my laptop kinda jumped down the stairs and is still being repaired. Sob, sob, I really can't live without my computer, (is that a bad thing?)

I missed my computer so much that I actually started reading again, I read the Fellowship of the ring! AMAZING!!!

Have any of you ever used C++? Cause I'm debating whether or not to take the Games Design module at uni this term, it's in C++, but its a new module (no past papers) and a new lecturer so it's a risky choice for a final year module.
The alternatives include: Operational Research Methods, AI, or Networks.

Rose
Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over!
http://members.lycos.co.uk/timesaga/rose.gif[/img]
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2003 22:59
Hey Sweetie let me be the first to welcome you back! Don't worry you didn't miss TOO much - many people were away for Xmas / New Year. Hope u had good ones by the way

Co-incidence but I'm currently re-reading Fellowship, its a great book

I, and many others here have used C++ , its a powerful language and the one many pro games are written in, its just that it takes MUCH longer to make games in it than DBPro cos you have to write your own engine

Good luck and wekcome back *Awaits the flood of pervy hormonal boys!*

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2003 23:10
(^_^) hey welcome back online honei ...
if they're doing C++ at Uni it'd be debatable to take it, i mean your project should be priority - but then again C++ is one the the most invaluable languages when you want to step up to professional games develop :: hint-hint! ::
miss'd not having you about ...

and you missed something REALLY important - ME!
hehee

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2003 23:49
Hell no, the most important thing around here is me and my plug-ins, oh my yes!

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 01:43
Rose:
Sure nice having you back =)

You missed the unofficial demo release of my game The Magic Land. You can find it in the beta forum =) Shots on my site.

[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 13:36
Hek while we're at it ya missed my Christmas Game and Dizzy Demo too... visit my site 4 it

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 15:36
WB,

I got a mic adapter at last, and i should have a new PC with a webcam and broadband!

Hope to hear from ya soon.

L8ters,
MP

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 15:57
awww Thanx Guys!!
*hugz* to everyone!

Hmmm professional games deveolper....
how would I get into that?
I'm still not sure what I wanna do, my mum is trying to push into applying for a job as comupter tech. in the hospital... cause shes says its a 'safe' job, in other words if the computer industry crashs at least I'll still have a job.
Hard to believe I'll be out in June looking for a job,
Thats scary!!!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 16:11
Tose:
Taking a jobb like that may not be the funniest thing to do but it's always good if you in the future are looking for a job and it's nice getting paid for a real job. I don't know what I would do with all that money but sure is nice and safe to have.

[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 16:21
hehe You love her from her head to her "Tose" Who needs an edit button? lol

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 16:53
Hi Rose, welcome back - be sure to check the applications showcase for mine and simples first app of the new year (VSD Tracker).

Why not go into IT support, and learn a more business orientated language, VB/VBA for example. You're probably familiar with them from college anyway, systems analysts earn really good money.

I code databases all day - and it's certainly nowhere near as much fun as DB!. Just as long as you have the time to program your own stuff, it's bearable.

Van-B
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 23:08
You could work at NASA, or somming, they like brainy peeps that can program.

Or look for UK based software companies.

Games would be good, always need for them, and lots of money in that sector.

I would look into applications and then games. Apps have more use in the real world, databases and alike are always needed.

Me personally, i like web appliences. Which could always mix in with databases and stuff.

I would go with the C++, that is a need. VB etc. are good, but C++ will nealry always be better as it can be applied to nearly evey type of job.

Ever thought of starting your own buisness? Working a easy IT support job while programming a decent program?

Worth a thought...

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 12:05
HEY don't put her off the idea of being a games programmer

(^_^) well i'm not sure which is cushier, a job in a hospital as a Tech (probably $20k/year) or a job as a Jnr C++ programmer ($35-40k/year)

i hear Rare are lookin' for Jnr Programmers - which is still pretty close to home for you and a very pro company. Would be working with C++ and DirectX 8.x|9.x along with alot of friendly people... and so funny to wind up some of the employees
also Blizzard appear to also want a nice programmer, Bungie too ... my mates were telling me about CGR and World developer jobs going, and gotta say what they've offered is tempting as hell - i mean mark has been trying to get me to jump across the road since like last christmas, but now i dunno ... the offers they're making for talented people, i mean they recently got a friend of mine as a CGR Post Effects Editor at $240k plus bonuses and full insurance package, inc. moving expenses.

Alot of the top developers are now crying out for TALENTED rather than educated people - think they're getting sick of the sub poor graphics being developed and buggy programming from people who only technically know the business but don't understand it.

but still glad ya back honei

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 15:45
Awww, get a job in a place called Harlow

Just off the M25.

Well, i love games. But i do not work well in large teams, and do not like being bossed around. I like to be left to create code and control a project, which will not always be avaliable but i hope to get a very good grade at uni and start in a job with very good prospects of going up in the world.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 16:05
Why not just become REALLY good at DBP and Milkshape and work for yourself selling your projects? Its much more feasible to do it alone with DBP than C because you can develop so much quicker

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 09:29
No shit Harlow? (^_^) lmao god we're alot closer than i thought.

If you don't like teams then become an Application programmer with VB/VB .Net or C# cause freelance people make alot doing that on thier own.
But personally i like the security of having an iron clad contract and knowing that next will i'll be earning Nth amount of cash ... but then again with my experience i can get the Boss like jobs.

which trust me kid - YOU DON'T WANT. It's far easier if someone explains what is wanted and they leave you to it, than having to sit there and explain to everyone what to do, roughly how they should be going about it... what kinda design certain areas will need outside genetic coding and modelling.
really is a task and a half to just organise a team

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 13:01
Agreed. When I used to work in "normal" jobs I would always get promoted higher than I wanted and end up having to
A: Boss people around / fire people (I hated that!) and
B: Have a lot more stress trying to organise people than I could deal with happily
Wasn't worth the extra pay, so I became self employed and BAM suddenly life's cool

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 13:49
So Raven where you living?

You know harlow is the place where the internet/optical phone lines were inveneted? (more developed though).

Bell Labs (STC for some reason) was here then turned into Bell Northan Research then BNR then Nortel then Nortel Networks.

I know a lot about the transatlantic phone/data lines. Mainly cause my Dad helped make the signal boosters and the hardware at either end.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 22:29
hehee ... my secret
if my geo is right thou i'm about 30-50miles north of ya

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 09:39
huuummmmm

Bedford?

Around there

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 12:52
awww rose the only thing you missed was me... ^_^

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 15:28
humpf

Not just you...

I missed Rose loads

Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 17:39
awwww,

Anyways I already run my own business, I opened it when I was 18. It's a children's computer club, I'm kinda creating a website for it now.

Think I might take that C++ module this year afterall.
Could be interesting!

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 17:57
Oooh cool that sounds great Rose have you tried applying for grants? I'm sure you'd get them for a worthwhile project like that Good luck whatever you are doing

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 19:12
Hummm, Websites.

Give me a email, i can help you there

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 19:57
Bedford... is around 2-3miles north of me
lol trying to narrow down where i am (^_^)

Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 14:44
I think u just want to be found Raven

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 17:15
lol... well i'm not gonna give an exact addy - i remember last time someone asked me for it and i thought it'd be oki.

Someone i didn't know turned up on my door and started on me. Funny now, but at the time kind piss'd me off

i miss'd you last nite hon - you said you'd be back once you got back to uni, but i guess i miss'd ya

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 18:20
I goto bed too early. But then i do get up too early too.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 19:43
i actually went to bed earli for me... like 10pm
and i slept until like 7am!!!
i mean FGS 9hours sleep jebus, thats more than the last week combined

god i swear i hate being single

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 19:46
lol, we sleep nearly the same times, accepts i goto bed 10:30 and get up 6:45

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 01:13
yeah but you have a reason for it ... for me i think i'm just feelin' old

its kinda getting beyond a joke, i have a few friends who are like teens that are always callin' me grandpa - always tired and grouchie.
surely thats not right for someone my age

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 09:34
nope its not right.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 14:39
Vegeta - Me too! But I have 2 kids to tire me out

Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 15:53
Sorry i missed u Raven, I should be on MSN later 2nite, but I have to go to the hairdressers first cause I put a new hair dye in my hair and it went badly wrong, I now have bleach white hair!! oops!
Oh well, someday I'll look back and laugh about it!

Don't be sad being single, it can be fun, I mean I've now got more time to program, more money to spend on me and more time to spend with my friends!

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 15:55
Yay, me single

Well, what time you on MSN? I will make a, errrm, ?date?

Hehe.

Nice to see ya (PS i got a mic now )

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 19:57
lol KG ... yeah i wish i had the kids as an excuse
althought i did used to go out with a girl for 2years who took care of babies for a living and i had help too (ack if anyone has seen DBZ imagine Vegeta having to do chores like that, and you've just got the perfect pic of what i was like!) so does that count?

i hope you do get on laters ... i'm lonely
and i wanna talk about the game some more, i'm trying to plan it all out but as right now i'm the only one throwing ideas into the pot - i dunno its not so fun when you can sit and brian storm with friends.

as for being single - i dunno, it just doesn't feel right to me. always feel like i'm forgetting something, miss having someone there just to well be there.
All of my friends are either stateside, or are always away on business and working (so no joy there either)
And lastly i've just spent £17,500 on a new car hehee, i'm kinda broke now

regujka
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello!
Please send me someone the shader and the vector examples because I can't get on.

regulyistvan@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 00:58
Shouldn't that guy be banned for serious SPAM? I've counted that message 10 timesand I'm sure there'll be more...

lol I like Vegeta in DBZ - I can empathise with him! I feel like that a lot, and I hate having to keep it down

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 04:28
empathise lol
if you've ever watched a program called Zoids (guardian saga) there is a guy called Raven ... if you take him and blend him with Vegeta - you have in a nutshell moi
i've actually had someone give me an A4 16page double-sided argument to that end (and explaining to me why it wasn't a good thing niether)
personally although i can at times seem quite Vegeta-ish, really i think i'm far more like Raven.

lmao what makes me laugh alot is people around here only get a fraction of what i'm like, ya know like both sides of the coins ... just imagine working with me hehee

i'm sure Rose can agree i'm a total nightmare

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 16:27
lol I wondered about the Raven part - Does that mean you would prefer to be called Raven not Vegeta? I used to love Zoids, and the toys were SOOOooo cool I had this great Spider thing, you could put it under a blanket and the way it walked looked quite convincingly like a Tarantula - about the same size too. Scared a lot of my cousins and friends like that lol

Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 16:50
Well From what I know of Raven Vegeta, I like him!
I've kinda taken to calling him Raven though, good question... To Raven Vegeta, which name do u prefer? Raven or Vegeta?

or maybe RV?

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 18:34
Hehe, me easy as i am very open

Well back to my latest project!

Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 11:42
hmmm so ur easy Martyn....
good to know

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 12:46
hehe (you on MSN ATM?)

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 16:11
lmao... being easi isn't a good think Martyn
i prefer Raven, but so many are used to calling me Vegeta
and i'm called both - so really whichever you guys prefer

p.s. Thanks Rose the Cheques in the mail

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 16:22
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
MSN is down.... Grrr

no one to talk to cept those on my Yahoo! Aim and mIRC lists thats only like 40peoples

JayDee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 16:58
Oh boy :o I almoast forgot about this forum :o lol
Well I'm back here too like Rose....
It's nice to be back oh btw Rose, nice to see a girl here ;D

Dark Basic Pro.....ummm..... Is..... uuuhh...wait a sec :o It's my favurite program lol!!!
Regards DBP Coder
Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 13:28

good to be here!
I'm sitting in labs now, trying to figure out a way to download a messenger... I can't get any of them, yahoo, MSN ... so I'm going to the chat rooms.

Rose

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 14:46
If the labs as a rewriteable CDROM (most do nowadays)
grab yourself a rewriteable and use windows to save the file to CD ... then run from that

i remember doing that back when i was at college, they didn't like it cause i'd download like 100Mb mods for Quake rather than research stuff.
But i'm not extirely sure what would count as research - i mean not alot of websites of info that are that large
I remember one time i downloaded the whole of polycounts models for Quake2 in an hour - then went into another one of the rooms where we'd installed Quake2 over the network and updated them all hehee

they hated me there i swear, Quake2 on the lower room machines - Quake on the CAD machines and GTA on the Powerpoint machines

whatever room we were all in we'd have some game to play when we got bored, made it even funnier was some of the tutors were morons and thought they were screensavers

some places have Zip Disk drives, i noticed when i was at Digipen and C-Sun that alot of thier computers has those as well.

Anything that can handle about 10mb should be oki for downloading, cause it'll bypass any writing protection cause its a windows operation
that said i'm surprised you don't have a HDD space for whatever you want ... i mean even in college i had a 150Mb drive on the network i could place everything i wanted, as long as i wiped it before Friday cause thats when they searched them for *ahembadsoftwareahem*

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:47:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:47:47