Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Polygon reducer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 10:16 Edited at: 14th Jan 2005 06:55
I was told something called "lod" exists for high end games such as half life 2 for instance , I'm looking for a dll , that could do "action 3D"'s job : reduce polygon size according to distance.

If anyone has something to propose I'd be happy to be emailed since I'm not sure I'd check the forum soon .

Thanks.

Looks like plenty peoples read , but none replied

A pixel is nothing , lots of can be all
Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 07:12 Edited at: 14th Jan 2005 07:13
Found something more interessting than the dll I was talking about , it's called Melody , melody is a software developped by nvidia (huh ? who're those guys) that allows you to create lod (level of detail) , it's creating stages of detail with 2 models , ex: you've made a huge 20000000 poly model , and want it rendered as good as it can be , you load it within your 3D modeler , and optimize it , as much as you can (eg : max , action 3D , etc ... etc ... seek the forum ) , then with your 2 lod (level of details = 2 models) , you load them up in melody , and get stages .... eg = as much as you want of different models out of it

The second part is the following , when in game you want it loaded , you just calculate the distance from the camera , and that COULD be done with a dll , so anyone got an idea about that ?? (still no mail ... )

*edit* oops , here is the link http://developer.nvidia.com/object/melody_home.html

Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 07:24 Edited at: 14th Jan 2005 07:25
A polycrunching DLL wouldn't be of much use in a real-time game. It'd be too slow, and with nothing more than math controlling it, your models would look butchered at medium distances.

The basic idea of LOD (Level of Detail) is to have several versions of the same model (high-poly, medium-poly, and low-poly), and switch between them as appropriate.

Then again, in a modeller, a polycruncher DLL would be very helpful.

I hope I answered your question,
Underhill

BTW, that Melody program looks very nice! Good job in finding it!

All teh codez are belong to us!
Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 08:16 Edited at: 14th Jan 2005 08:18
LOL !!! you rephrased my second post

Hey you still didn't answer , the question was , is there a dll that could give distance beetween 2 points ?

Ohh .... ng no ?

dj chainz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 04:00
Theres a maths formula, not a DLL. I do not really program in 3D, but I believe this formula can be found in teh main tutorial for DBPro (the aliens in a BSP world...)

I am the lead programmer at red spark studios
I also have a blog on how to make a game engine
http://www.dbgame.blogspot.com
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2005 07:52
dist = sqrt( dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 )

where dx dy dz is a vector describing the distance between the 2 points.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
yeh i found melody a while back, but at the moment i don't have a use for it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 05:38:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 05:38:15