Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / PC Controllers or Keyboards?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Which do you like using better?
Just when you thought life was done beating your sorry ass down, it invites friends to help.
Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 15:44
keyboards

Daih Thel phae 'e, clann 'e phaen
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 16:07
I own almost every type of PC controller available (Many Pads, Wheels, Sticks, ffds) but tend to use keyboard and mouse most often to be honest. ESPECIALLY in FPS and RTS games, but for most other styles too - I love keyboard control - Now I just need a force feedback keyboard and mouse

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 17:25
It depends on the game. Most games I like playing using both KB and mouse. I have a very advanced controller (Gravis Xterminator) that is nice for flight simulators and some platformers etc. However there are too few true PC made platformers out there, they are all ported from consoles. All games I have planned will be using KB and mouse as standard. WASD for move, shif/space for duck/jump and mouse to look around are standards for me. Some may have controller support.

[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 18:51
Yeah, it depends a lot of the game for me too . As I play mostly FPS so I use the keyboard and the mouse. I just cannot play any FPS with a joypad in a console, no matter how good it is, I hate it. . In another hand, I would never play a racing game (e.g Need for Speed), a fighting game (e.g Street Figther ) or a plataform game (e.g Megaman) without a good joypad. I still play a lot Capcom old games as Street Fighter so I use in my computer a USB adaptor to use PSOne pads. In the case, I have a PSone Arcade Stick as well ^_^. I also love MS Flight and Combat Flight Simulators... without a cool Sidewinder Force Feed back Pro I would not play them .

"A true warrior fights with skill, not anger..."

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Necrum
Years of Service
User Offline
So you wouldn't mind playing a platform game with a KB?

Just when you thought life was done beating your sorry ass down, it invites friends to help.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 00:32
I would love playing a platform with the same type of camera I got in TML.

[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 09:23
The problem with the Keyboard Vs Controller question is simply that the PC has far too few games which it would make more sense to use a controller.

The second problem with PC controllers is like the PC itself, there is no standard - so if you say made a game with Playstation like controls with Force Feedback, then there are current only 3 controllers on the market (and they are bu no means cheap starting at £30 each) which have the buttons, FFB and 3D Sticks.
And most of these can't usually use the 3D Sticks and D-Pad at the same time!

At this place (as i'd forgotten before comming home) I have a selection of "adapted" console controllers, setup for either Gameport or USB which have drivers created by third parties.
Now for games like Tomb Raider, Rouge Squadron and alike then Controllers are awesome ... but for C&C or Quake3, etc... controllers are a curse!

Until there are more platformer and console style RPGs and Racers on the PC then there is no need.

As far as my Zelda clone is conserned, i will be setting that up with keyboard controls ... however i'll also be setting it up to specifically use the Gravis Aftershock Eliminator

Well just my veiws

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 16:51:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 16:51:27