Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Lets hope all goes well...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 01:13
Ever since i heard of FPSC i have been more driven and focused in my attempts to make some kool games.

So, i have a problem, FPSC isn't out yet, hmmmmm, answer try some other programs then, ooh first problem they all suck!

Tried A6 Gamestudio, couldn't get to grips with it, same goes for Reality Factory and PIE 3D GCS is too old. I don't know if anyone else has tried these, but OMG i can only hope FPSC comes off miles better than these!

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 01:34 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2005 01:34
Hmmm sorry for saying this but your post dosn`t make any sense

But i know what you could do. Wait for FPSC as everyone else(including me ) .

Or you could program a game in DB or DBPRO. But i`ve heard that FPSC should be out sometimes in the first week of Fabruary.(don`t know if its tru).

The Nerd

looking for Royalty free 3D objects?
then Check PanzerGames at this link : http://www.freewebs.com/panzergames
nemo85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 01:40 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2005 01:42
Ok so i have no idea how my post didn't make sense, use your brain and read it carefully!

Basically FPSC inspired me to wanna make some kool games, so i thought i'd try some other programs, but their all poo!

Get It? Got It? Good!

Plus i've stated before i have no desire to learn to program, i don;t have that sort of time to devote, plus i straight up can't be arsed!

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 02:11
I have paid for versions of all of the engines that you refer to and more. Each has advantages over the other. Some of them have features and capabilities in some areas that FPSC users will only dream of. However all have poor support for some features in other areas and none is a complete tool that can offer a single individual or small team an easy option of completion of a game title without a vast investment in time in particular. Even then its a matter of opinion as to how the quality of anything completed would be classified in terms of a games standing.

I wont go in to aspects of named or specific individual engines other than FPSC here.

By far the most important aspect of game making for any individual or small group developer is completion. You cant have a game unless you have both the skills and tools to complete it. Next on the list is quality of gameplay and the most imortant features of that are good ideas and game design (which are the same for all engines) and most importantly good AI (which is not). In a First person shooter game AI means good enemy AI - the more sophisticated the better, why? because if you have the choice you can make an enemy difficult to kill or outwit or not as you choose depending on your game idea or possible target audience. If you dont have that choice then you are limited to whatever level of AI you have or can script. Next is FPS you need an acceptable level of frames per second which means above 24 at all times if possible - short drops in FPS may not matter but at critical gameplay points when you need the most they may be lowest. e.g. when enemies are attacking. Careful level design is needed.

Most engines wont give you anything like a decent level of AI out of the box which in my opinion is the defining factor and developing your own AI together with pathfinding and collision is a notoriously difficult task. Forget it unless you want to spend a great deal of time on those things - and I mean a great deal of time.

Simplistically, thats it.

Ease of production, Good story, good level design, good AI, Acceptable frame rates. Everything else is a bonus and may add to the quality of your game.

What FPSC will give you over and above any other I am currently aware of is the ability for an individual or small team to complete a reasonable game in a reasonable amount of time. If you want to put the effort in you may make good games or even a great game all of which is down to the developer who has the tool. But you will at least have the tool, the rest is up to the user.

If that sounds like thats for you then stick to FPSC and see what you can do with it.

I look forward to seeing some games made with FPSC and wish you all much success.
nemo85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 02:23
Good post indeed!

Results are what is important and i just couldn't get any with the other programmes, maybe if i had put lots of time into learning the other engines, i possibly could have created something of substance, yet it seems FPSC is defo the way to go!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 03:13
There will no doubt be people that want to take things further, but that's the neat thing, with DBPro you could use FPSC as a springboard level engine and develop your own characters and AI routines. I have no idea how levels will work in DBPro, but there is plans to support them, maybe something that will appear in patch 5.8, but either way it makes FPSC a very nice package for a good range of skill levels. I love the way everything is tidy and organised, as peoples level building skills develop they're more likely to want to learn the extra skills involved and we'll see some cool freeware games on the strength of that.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 06:12
I managed to become an accidental unnofficial BETA tester (don't ask, long story!). And I've gotta say from a laymans point of view that FPSCreator is actually better than I expected. I haven't much programming knowledge or anything like that and its SO intuitive for me. Its going to be worth the wait and I can see where it will be by version 1.

-------------------------------------
www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 06:14
can you then post some screenshots?

Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 06:22
Quote: " can you then post some screenshots?"

HA! I could have placed SO much money on that being the next question! I don't know if I'm allowed to because (as I said) I became tester by accident). But I'll post some screenies of the editor as soon as a moderator says that I can, if they say no then I'm sorry then I won't. I don't want to step on TCG's hard work.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 06:25
ok(*crossing fingers*)

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 07:25 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2005 07:33
Quote: "I became tester by accident"

Is this "I got sent the beta by an unnamed source" or "I emailed Rick"?

Rick has said beta testers can post screens of levels.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 07:31
YAY then please post some screenies!!!

Anime civil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 07:56
You wont find any good programs unles you can program. There are engines, which is REAL programming, but that's really hard. Torque game engine is one example, but it was used to make Tribes 2, an MMO. Great game, mad eby sierra too .

Animecivil
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I managed to become an accidental unnofficial BETA tester (don't ask, long story!)."

Really... and pray tell how does one become an "accidental unofficial" BETA tester hmmm? (yes I'm asking)
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 08:44
Quote: "Is this "I got sent the beta by an unnamed source" or "I emailed Rick"?

Rick has said beta testers can post screens of levels."

I made the female sound effects for the EA version and Rick emailed me and gave me access to the ftp and a passwords and access to the bug database telling me to add any bugs I found. I was wondering why I was being told to test for bugs when I hadnt asked to do it. After downloading the newest version, I then emailed rick to ask why I was asked to test it ( I HAD to download it first!!!!!). He emailed back stating that indeed it was a mistake. But I'm allowed to test it out and add bugs to the database, so technically I am a Beta Tester. Sorta. I actually wrote a huge review on it and planned to post it, but I thought it would be really rude to do it (even though it was a glowing review) seeing that the EA version isnt even released. So I didnt. I'll post screenies on Sunday, I need to spend some time building my levels first!

Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I made the female sound effects for the EA version "

Ahhh well that it explains it then. I hope you meant you RECORDED the effects cause if you *made* them... well then I hope you have a higher pitched voice then Lee
Shawn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 12:43
Need something to do while you wait? Try this fps maker:

http://www.apgsoftware.co.uk/retrib/index.php?view=engine_specification
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 16:11
@Coldnews, damn... Lucky you!!! arrggggg

If someone of us needs to be a beta tester than it surely must be you, you deserve it.

Don't eat yellow snow!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 17:47
Quote: "I made the female sound effects for the EA version and Rick emailed me and gave me access to the ftp and a passwords and access to the bug database telling me to add any bugs I found. I was wondering why I was being told to test for bugs when I hadnt asked to do it. After downloading the newest version, I then emailed rick to ask why I was asked to test it ( I HAD to download it first!!!!!). He emailed back stating that indeed it was a mistake. But I'm allowed to test it out and add bugs to the database, so technically I am a Beta Tester. Sorta. I actually wrote a huge review on it and planned to post it, but I thought it would be really rude to do it (even though it was a glowing review) seeing that the EA version isnt even released. So I didnt. I'll post screenies on Sunday, I need to spend some time building my levels first!"

Hehe lol, so you when you saw it you had to download it it

Did they make you sign an NDA?

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 22:03
NDA = Non Disclosure Agreement
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 02:20
Yeah, of course I wanted to download it! I'm human arent I?!?!
If Rick wants me to sign an NDA I'll gladly do it. Rick actually thought I'd faxed an NDA to him but it was the contract for the Sound Effects! that was the whole mixup!
I won't bother with any screenshots or comments, I dont want to step on their toes. I'll just be happy with a lucky coincidence.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 02:55
Quote: "Yeah, of course I wanted to download it! I'm human arent I?!?!"

Ali M Oldboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 03:19
I know it comes out in the second week of feburary (I think ) That's when I finally get my own computer yay! I've been using my brothers computer since my old one broke completetly, and since I got money for my birthday, £185.00 (Lucky Me ) and only that, I should be able to get that, man a I cant WAIT!

Ali M

†††[ -- LoSt DrEaMs -- ]†††
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 03:51
They say in the "Januar 19th update" that it will get out in the first week of feburary.

I was hoping it would come out in the first week

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 04:26
If you read the details - there is no official release date yet.

It has not been stated that it will be released at any specific date. It seems now it may be some time in February or it may later. Obviously it cant be released until the TGC team think its fit to do so. Its best if you dont expect a release until an official date is officially specified and then just hope nothing else pops up to prevent it happening.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:02:45
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:02:45