Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / NGC problems can anyone help here?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 02:18
OK so i go out and buy NGC and lo and behold the code which works with my old version does not work, So i go in and change all things the way that it tells you to and it still says things like "COLLISION ENGINE WILL NOT WORK" or something after ive already created an EXE. I guess what I'm saying is IM LOST! heres a version of my code so far (Youll have to make your own models) can anyone tell me where to go from here?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 03:01 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2005 03:03
In a hurry now (late for work) but try this.

Always put your SetCollisionsPRO() section before you use any of the collision commands other than start and debug.

[edit] And put the sync command before your loop command.

Lance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 04:53 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2005 04:58
This works for me with NGC 3.0 and not 3.1

1 you forgot the sync command
2 there was no set ambient light
3 I gave up on NGC 3.1 for my project and used 3.0
4 The download is in text format

Lance

Attachments

Login to view attachments
code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 12:01 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2005 12:10
OK I HAVE VERSION 3.1 hOW DO I GO BACK TO VERSION 3.0 JUST REDOWNLOAD IT? jUST ANOTHER SILLY QUESTION THAT NEEDS ANSWERING.
(Edit)
sorry about Caps lock as i did not realize it was on!
OH and one more thing you forgot the stupid little zero at the end of those lines and i am still getting the stupid "Collision system failed to load" message when i try it
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 19:30
Here is the problem I believe. Try putting the constants for your collision types before you use them.

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 06:56
Yah ok, did i mention it was supposed to be a FPS? I just loaded the main character thing cause thats what the code is supposed to do, I really am lost and liked the .TEXT thing-a-ma-bob but it still didn't work, Would that be because of Version 3.1 instead of version 3.0????? Anyway just needed a bit of help and any other hints would be very useful as i am new to DLL usage as a whole.
code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 11:20
HELLO!?!?!?! this is slipping away from me quickly i really do need help. Not to sound like a total Noob or anything but i am kind of confused with all these NGC things. My code used to semi-work* with an old code but i upgraded and cant figure it out!

*Old code had some problems with lighting and certain other things, the main character(Camera) would slip right through a wall and would put you outside the level(Lol)
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 16:41 Edited at: 27th Jan 2005 16:44
This code loads fine. I subbed my models for obvious reasons.

The only thing I changed from the above code is I added myObj = 1.

[edit] If the error is "Collision system could not be loaded" then make sure you have the correct version of the NGCollision.dll in the same folder/directory as the .exe

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 08:07
That was te exact problem and i had NGCollision.dll in it perfectly well, by the way is this code for 3.0 or 3.1 I can use both.
code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 08:16
To put it in the same directory you go FILES>BROWSE>INCLUDE>NGCollision right? on the program menu thing where all those butons are, I did that perfectly fine but it still gives me the "COLLISION SYSTEM COULD NOT BE LOADED" error when i execute, it goes to a black screen and does that, is this because I am using 3.01 and you are using 3.1? I dont know what the difference is so it could be the problem!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 13:02
I have an idea. Can you attach your .dba and .dbpro in a zip here or I will when I get home. I will be able to look at how you have it setup then and be alot more help. I wasn't talking about the include file though. It can be in any location as long as you use the FILES>BROWSE>INCLUDE>NGCollision.dba to include it. I was talking about the actual NGCollision.dll (which should not be included in your project media unless you have compression and encription turned off). You need to make sure this file is in the same folder as your programs .exe

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 07:38
How do i do that? could someone explain to me where this alledged file is?? the demo uses the include/NGCollision for its file format thing and that works fine! Oh and by the way i don't know how to make a stupid .ZIP file, my dbpro training has not had to deal with that yet!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 12:50
The NGCollision.dll is in the folder you extracted the 3.01 NGC .zip into. It will be in the same folder as the example .dbpro and .dba files. You need to copy this file into the same folder you save your new source into (the folder DBP will create the .exe in when you compile and run).

To put the code in a .zip you need winrar, winzip, or winME/XP. You just copy the .dbpro and .dba into a new folder, right click and select send to>, then compressed (zipped) folder in WinME/XP. If you have winrar or winzip it will have an option for that when you right click. Make sure you remove you access keys from the NGC file you post. Use startcollisionpro(000000000,000000000,000000000) in its place.

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2005 01:51
ahh copy it into the folder and then do the files>NGCollision thing? or just copy it in like that? I also tried to do it with the old demo by subtituting it for the model that was already there, something went wrong though and the model did not show up, i just got a whole lotta grey space! Anyhow i just wanted to know why it would not work likke this???
code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 00:48
Alright this thread is slipping away from me! I have a new problem to pose to you now, When I loaded my model into the 3rd shooter thing to weird things happened, 1)The model is only recognized by the two enemies not the main character, he slips right through it!
2)my perfectly beautiful .x model completely dissapeared from the world of Colour! It does not have any colour left in it at all! The entire model has turned itself white and will not be coaxed into any other texture! Thanx for all the help but I still need some more!
code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 00:32
ALRIGHT i have a new problem for all those programming enlightned minds out there, The following was my original code before i upgraded because the collision wasn't working 100%, I need someone who can tell me what I would have to do to convert this code into a code using the NGCollision DLL without losing textures or anything. (IF you want the model to this code just ask and i will send it to you via email as it is to big for this forum!)
code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 12:01
OK obviously noone cares so I am going to go nip off and shoot myself, I really need a bit of help here because when it comes to programming I am not exactly what one could call a "Pro" I am more of what one would call "Inexperienced" or in plain and simple language "NOOBY".
Any and all help will be appreciated.
Thank You
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 13:39
Sorry but I just don't know how to explain it to you. I have tried the best I know how.

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 12:46
I know and it dont work
code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 11:55
OK so I have taken out my commands (Well remmed them) that created the original collision, now I need to know what the command to make the camera collide with the world is, I know I have to call all those things and I could probably find out how to do it alone but it would take me a lot of time and energy (really i'm just pretty lazy) Here is my code, could someone please explain to me (Again I am sorry) The routine for calling constabts and collisions and how I would be able to put thet in this code. What I really need to know is.
(A)what the command for the camera2world collision
(B)The order in which I would call the constants
@Lost In Though, I know I am a bad student here in the whole NGC thing but could you please give it another try I will listen to all your advice,
By the way here is the code (Without Collisions)
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 16:50
That whole code you posted is collision code. That is it's purpose. The entire code is camera to world collision. You can't just call the collision with that code. I think you will be better off learning the NGC collision instead of this.

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 08:55
Dude I took out the collision part with my rem commands but I want to keep the camera movement and level loading all the same so I dont lose anything very important or anything, All I kept the code for is the movement because I had gotten it to work properly at least, here is the version without collision code at all.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 18:41
Try something like this. You may have to adjust the ellip sizes and offsets for it to work with your level. And of course there may be some collision resetting and repositioning you may have to do if the level interfers with your player start positioning. I don't have your level so I can't test it.

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2005 07:54
What is your email and i can send any and all levels or MEDIA that I have used with this program, I will try the code and hopefully it will work Coding hurts my brain! (LOL) I am glad you did not totally abandon me because then I would be in every sense of the word "Screwed".
code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2005 08:06
Ok I tried out the code and It went through almost entirely OK except for the little box that comes up and say "COllISION PROGRAM COULD NOT BE LOADED" how do you solve this problem?? IS it all to do with not including the NGC file properly? If so could you explain the EXACT way to get to the thing that lets me include it?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2005 18:05 Edited at: 11th Feb 2005 18:44
My email addy is in the button below my posts. I will make an example but it may be monday before I can. I broke the cooling fan strap on my DBP machine while trying to clean it. Will be monday before I get another one.

[edit] I got your email. I will make a download to finish - step by step example of your media working with NGC and post it here as soon as I can. Like I said it will more than likely to be monday or tuesday though.

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 07:47
Alright thanks man I really appreciate all the support, I send U lots and lots of free copies when I finally complete game (LoL) to bad about your cooling fan strap thing-a-ma-bob I hope it gets fixed quickly!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 09:07 Edited at: 15th Feb 2005 05:39
Good news, I'm back on my DBP Machine again! I borrowed a fan from my buddy at work until I get mine Monday I should be able to make an example tomorrow. Do you use the default IDE in DBP or an alternative IDE? I can make the example in the same editor you use to keep things simple as possible.

[edit] OK after spending most of the day trying to make v3.01 run good enough to be useful, I have failed. I did get a version going at 20 FPS bypassing all of the bugs but your level runs at 200 FPS in v2.03. If I were you I would email them asking for access to v2,03 until they egt v3.01 fixed.

[edit2] Supposedly an update may be out by the end of this month or early next for v3.

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 10:13
There was an update for version 3.1 or something but it did not work, I think I am using the DBpro Ide, I dont believe I have installed any new IDEs I will try and get my hands on 2.03 if i can!
Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 11:39 Edited at: 15th Feb 2005 11:41
spinneker , first , we will help you
second , your version is no different than mine if you bought it recently and if not you still can upgrade
third ; if you post your recent code i may try to run it and / or help you on why it fizzle , you can post it

i think i saw you didn't use a radius to your character , you may do that i think , so it tells the engine were to start the collision

I'm willing to help , send the code i'll try to make it work and debrief

btw your ide can be updated from the "version 5.7" page at the index of db site , read it all , at the mid , there is a link to the upgrades , really get them cause it's debugged and all ... ===> version 2.03 ?! not the ide ... last one is 1.9 no ??

ps : i did a thread called "ngc booklet" on the dll talk ; consult this one too , it's ngc related there are things you may take on account , maybe .... here !

A pixel is nothing , lots of can be all
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 18:00 Edited at: 15th Feb 2005 18:01
I was talking about NGC v2.03. So far v3 sucks bad even 3.01. The latest DBP IDE Update is 1.1.0.3 though. It is an unofficial update that fixes alot of stuff.

Which can be found here http://www.dannywartnaby.co.uk/rgt/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=3242

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2005 10:15
Alright you people all confuse me with your coding jumble, I have posted my code a max of about 5 times on this page use the latest code snippet, I will download that IDE if it will help me out and I am going to try to tough it out with NGC 3.03 because it is the only one that I feel comfortable working with, also I am too lazy to find a better version ()
Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2005 13:33
hey thanks for the ide update !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i was waiting like a silly for 3 monthes to get it ok ...

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2005 09:31
YAh thats kibda off topic, do youb guys wish for me to downoad the new IDE or not???
Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2005 14:41
it seems better yep , take it

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 07:32
Alright I downloaded the new tool-bar but I have a few questions,
A) How do I intsall it properly
B)How is the tutorial for adding the Dll coming?
C)Does the new toolbar replace anything or do i still have my "FILES" "MEDIA" "CURSORS" and all those things still there?
code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 06:54 Edited at: 10th Mar 2005 11:36
(SORRY).
Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 16:03
hey if you want us or at least me to help , be sure to want to manage stuff , right now you'r asking for bump ? or complaining ??
try to make an effort on your own question mark

bump is outdated in 5.7 you'd have to wait for another release , you can apply it , but it would render not that well

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2005 08:06
There was a 5.7 forum??(LOL) I asked a true question sorry about the bumps but it has been a while and I got annoyed trying to load the new IDE thing as t continued to tell me that it couldn't find a file or something and then the file spasmodically exploded. I will try to be a bit more patient but I have absolutely no clue how to load NGC collision. I followed the instructions on the manual to a "T" and i still have the same "Collision program could not load" error.
code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 11:40 Edited at: 10th Mar 2005 11:47
Alright sucess I went to version 2.03 and now the collision system does not give me a load error and i am using this code, unfortunately This does not solve the problem of THERE IS NOT MOVEMENT AT ALL but i figure i can fix that later,
@lost- could you find it in your heart to put a version 2.03 code that does the same thing as your 3.01 code does (Eg, collision, movement that sort of stuff)
Sorry for all the spazs and as you can see I edited that Bump post to say sorry.
[EDIT]
I have it working in version 3.01 as well but it also does not have any movement at all and I am using the exact code you told me to use
(at least it is not giving me a "Vollision system could not load error") could someone tell me what the problem with the Movement is??
Here is the code (I lied I made one adjustment)
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 17:06
As soon as I'm feeling better. I've been down all day with this cold

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2005 09:42
Great to know you were not totally mad at me and not going to answer in this thread again (sigh of relief) I got so worried when it went about 3 weeks without seeing the tutorial which i had assumed would be around in about a week, But i don't need that now I need to know why my movement isn't working but thats a trivial thing compared to The dreaded "COLLISION SYSTEM COULD NOT LOAD" thing, I have sworn that if i ever see that message again i will shoot the computer (and it wasnt a cheap comp 800$ when it came out )
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2005 23:39 Edited at: 12th Mar 2005 23:35
Feeling a little better today. I'll see if I can get a basic tutorial done today and work on a more advanced on later.

[edit] Still not feeling very well. Here is how far I got. Still in rough draft stage. I'll go into alot more detail and make a proper tutorial when I'm able. Any suggestions or questions welcome. I'll try and answer when I can. This part can be used in any project you use NGC with.

http://mapmasterz.com/lit/ngc_info.zip

It is far from even really being started but it will show you how to copy and setup the files. Maybe it will help someone until I get better. A couple of side notes not included in that.
*Always use the setcollisionspro before loading your models and always use the collisiontypepro after loading them and use both of these before calling any NGC object related commands.

*In your main loop you will want to do your movement code on the player object first, then use the RunCollisionPRO() to update the players position after collision checks, you can now place your camera and rotate it depending on the player objects location and orientation after the collision checks. There is no need to position or rotate the camera before now, you can add mouselook code if you like here, and then use the sync command just before your loop command.

Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2005 01:03
I DLed the new demo and had problems. I finally made a little test model to get it working. Here is the link to my worked NGC code. It may help you get yours working.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=50425&b=18

After I got this working I put it back into my big program and it works GREAT! Going to buy now that I see it does
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2005 01:25
I would test ellip to poly more carefully if I were you. That is v3's biggest issues.

Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 00:55
My ellips is working REALLY great actually.
Though, NGC told me that V3 is being re-written form scratch because of issues in v3. But I thoght the bigger problem was in the Polygon-to-polygon collision that was not fully-supported in the collision plugin.

Not to hijack this thread, How would you play a sound either of two moving objects crashed into each other? In other words, if a collision happens how do you say do this?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 01:10 Edited at: 16th Mar 2005 01:11
Something like this.

Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 03:51
Thanks Lost in Thought.

@code spinneker - One thought. Are you using the replacement commands in your DB program. They help DB and NGC communicate better.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 22:59:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 22:59:22