Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Gina's Gems - Completed At Last!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 00:03 Edited at: 25th Jan 2005 02:39
OK,

THE DOWNLOAD LINK FOR GINA'S GEMS IS ALL UPDATED!

Here's the link: http://www.hellmutharts.com/downloads/GinasGems.zip

Note: Make sure you SAVE it to your computer or the music won't work!

This is the last update and I'm going to submit the game to the DBC showcase right now, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

See Ya!

EDIT: I submited the game, currently 20 submissions before mine.
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 05:43 Edited at: 26th Jan 2005 05:45
Here's Some Screen Shots.

Main Menu:

InGame:

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 06:16
Looks nice, can't try it out just yet, though. You might also want to give the background a bit of colour, it looks quite bland compared with all the flashy gems.

Desktop: AMD Athlon XP2800+,GeForce FX5200 128MB, 1.25GB DDR RAM
Laptop: AMD Athlon 64M 3000+,Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, 512MB DDR RAM
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 06:36 Edited at: 26th Jan 2005 06:39
Thanks

The gems are a little different then the rest, but thats because there were two different artists. Mind Storm 101 did everything and then later BlinkOk did the gems.
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 09:25
Very nice.

It's nicely and proffesionally done ( except all the sub menu's, with that blue box ).

However, there weren't any instructions, and no matter what I did, I couldn't figure out what to do

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 10:33
You know the README file that you downloaded too....read it!
Just joking, but the instructions for the game are on my site,
I guess I'll put the controls and stuff in the readme file. In the readme file I give my sites address where the instructions are.

Here's the link: http://www.freewebs.com/underworld1020/ginasgems.htm

I just rewrote the instuctions on my site, so take a look at the link. And if you have any questions, ask me.
Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 11:28
i noticed you changed the gems from the diablo2 ones or something. they look good though.

coffee + monkeys + creativity = games
Operation Pineapple - Multiplayer FPS WIP
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 12:46
Just finished playing it. My score was 46850. It's a nice fun and addictive game.

BTW, what do you mean by "Make sure you SAVE it to your computer or the music won't work!" Isn't it saved to my computer when I download it? Or does it need to be in the root directory?

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 18:36 Edited at: 26th Jan 2005 18:38
The link in the readme doesn't work
And, the website tells me as much as I figured out on my own.

I assume that what you're meant to do is select two gems which then swap themselves so you can make groups of four ( as all the other games of this type require you to do ), but, when I click two gems, nothing happens.

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 22:23
Quote: "I assume that what you're meant to do is select two gems which then swap themselves so you can make groups of four "

Actually, it's 3 gems horizontally of the same color. You can only swap gems that are next to each other and will make a row of three. It appeared that the mouse swapping was a little buggy, but maybe that was because I was running it in windowed mode. What works for me is to hold the mouse over one gem and drag it to the space I want it to go.

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 04:25 Edited at: 27th Jan 2005 04:34
Ok,

I included a little example for you guys as a attachment.

All you have to do is get three or matching gems in a row horizontally. To do that simple just click on a gem that you want to swap and then click a gem that you want it to swap with. The two gems will swap places, if the swap makes three or more gems match in a row horizontally then the gems will break and your score goes up nd the goal bar goes down. However, if the swap doesn't make a match then the gems will automatically move back to there original positions.

I don't know how else to explain it, so thats all I can really say. And when your click on a gem all you have to do is click it once and then click once where you want it to go, I don't really see how its buggy, but I'm not using he same computer as you guys.

If anyone understands how to play and thinks that they can explain how to play a little better, it would be helpful.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 04:39 Edited at: 27th Jan 2005 10:57
@hyrichter - Can you fix the link in the readme file to:

http://www.freewebs.com/underworld1020/

Its seems as capitaliztion or something is affecting it, which seems really weird, but the link above works and the one in the readme file doesn't.

EDIT: I'm feeling really nervous that I submited the game to the showcase and people can't figure it out. I just hope they'll try to figure out and not just reject it.

EDIT 2: Their still saying "Awaiting Reply", so I guess they haven't seen it yet.

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 01:03 Edited at: 28th Jan 2005 01:07
Gina's Gems got in January 2005 issue of the newsletter!

Here's the link: http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_25.html

However, Rich still has to test the game out, but he probably will soon, I just hope he figures the game out.

Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 09:15
And you were thinking about not submitting it...

Think what you like, you'll all be mine in the end.
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 20:16 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2005 20:17
Well, I got into the newsletter, but they said that their not accepting any new games to the showcase for a while because their busy. I'm guessing its because of the FPS Creator, but they said that they will consider Gina's Gems when the showcase is open again.

Kinda sucks, but ooh well.

I'll let you guys know when the showcase is open again, but it probably won't be for quite a while.

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 22:32
Hi,

I've been thinking about make a new version of this game, starting form the ground up with all new graphics, sounds, music, effects, and code. We already have some ideas about what we want to be in the new version, but we want to make this really good. So, it would be appreciated if some people here could give some ideas on what you guys want to see in the new version, this one will have special effects and everything. We have a screen shot, but I'm going to wait just a bit before posting it.

Here are some ideas that we already have:

-Multiple Screen Resolutions
-Special Effects
-A Puzzle Mode plus a Level Editor
-Some New Music and Sound Effects (Action Style)

That’s all we have at the moment, but we want a whole lot more, so if anyone has any ideas, we would like to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

BlinkOk
Years of Service
User Offline
hey underworld dude, i mailed you .exe for this i reckon this would be a good format. you could also vary the theme of the background between levels; metal, stone, satin etc.

P4 2.8Ghz, 2Gb, 128Mb Radeon Pro, Dark Basic PRO
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 07:06 Edited at: 4th Feb 2005 11:36
I liked the .exe file you sent me, it was really good. I've been thinking of features to add and here's some of them.

Feature's:

-Multiple Skins With Skin Importer
-Music Player With Importer
-Multiple Speacial Effects(Explosions, etc.) With Importer
-Multiple Screen Resolutions Plus Windowed Mode
-Joystick Compatible With Force Feedback Capabilities
-Detailed Help Menus
-Customizable Control Configurations

Then on top of all that I want many different modes of play.
Here's all the different modes there will be:

Classic: The same as the original version of Gina's Gems.

Puzzle: You will have a certain amount of moves to clear all the gems.

Adventure: You have a little character that can pick up gems and move them. You have to arrange the gems in a certain way to get to the end of the level. This will be a 2d scrolling mode.

Time Attack: This will be like a tetris type of a game where gems in columns of three or more will fall from the top of the screen and you have to arrange them in matches of three to break the gems.

Blast Away: There will be a arrangment of gems on the top of the screen and you have to shoot gems from the bottom of the screen to the top to make matches of three or more.

Factory: There will be a picture in the middle of the screen and there will be an assembly line at the bottom of the screen. Gems of different shapes and colors will come out threw the assembly line and once it is completely filled you lose. To win you have to fill the picture with the different gems to go on to the next level.

Well, your probably thinking this will be a lot of work, and guess what I'm sure it will. However, with proper planning and taking one step at a time I think I can complete this within 6 months. This will definitly be a really good professional looking game when its done and if everything goes as well as I want it to I think it will be the best game out there of this type.

So, if anyone has any ideas that I haven't mentioned, I'd like to hear them.

EDIT: I'm going to start sketching some ideas on paper and see how things are going to work out. I'll do the first two features on the list first because there the easiest. Also, this will be moving to the work in progress forums as soon as I get something together.

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2005 20:55 Edited at: 21st Apr 2005 20:56
The one thing I never really liked about the original version was the score counting method. I have not played your version so I don't know if you followed the originals score system, but I hated that no mater how well you played the early part of the levels, like level one and level two, my scores were pretty much the same. I know that that is because to advance a level you had to reach a certain score level. That made the only real scoring move; the one that ended the level. If I put together a cascade midway through the level, that was six or seven sets. I did not get rewarded extra points to increase my score but just reached the end of the level sooner. I always felt cheated by that part of the score system.

I know it is fair but always thought if I did a version (which I am not planning); that it would count the gems matched to end the level instead of going by the score of the level.

sorry for venting.
Don

Wasting CPU Cycles since the 286 was a hot machine.
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 00:39 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 00:41
Well, my version is a little different, but it follows the same basic rules. Plus Bejeweled wasn't the first one to make the rules anyways, this gem idea has be around since like NES. In my version your entire score gets added to your final score, so I think you should be happy , give it a try:

http://www.freewebs.com/underworld1020/

Just, go to games and then Gina's Gems...

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2005 22:57
I downloaded and tried and have to say I was a little frustrated by the interface.

It may have been better if the selection indicator was a colored box instead of the push button effect. I also made the mistake of assuming that I could get three in a row up and down or across instead of just across.

Not a bad game though except for the selection box.

I would probably give it a 7 out of 10
+ graphic elements of the board
+ Music is pretty good
+ Several different skill levels

- Selection process of gems needs to have a more sure feel to it.
- No animation when gems swap places and/or dissolve or break.

Wasting CPU Cycles since the 286 was a hot machine.
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2005 21:19
Thanks, 7 out of 10 is pretty good in my opinion. This was my actual first full game that I've ever completed, I've made a lot of little stuff but nothing major. The new version of this has got the explosions and stuff your looking for or a least it will when I release it.

Here's the link:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47579&b=8&p=0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 06:03:25
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 06:03:25