Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / ai scripts targets...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
how hard would it be to get one enemy type to target another enemy type? Like put the player in the middle of a battle between 2 teams of soldiers --or on one team...

You could make a mounted gun with this as well...
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
These questions has already been asked.
Search the forum
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 00:28
Preface: I'm not trying to instigate yet another flame thread with the following comments, so please don't freak out.

Quote: " These questions has already been asked.
Search the forum"

I'm sorry, but that kind of response always gets to me. While technically accurate in that the question has already been asked and answered, the question becomes how much more time would it take to re-answer the question as opposed to replying with a generic "search for it"?

The very nature of asynchronous communication is that questions and answers are going to naturally reoccur. But, lets examine this from a synchronous communication standpoint. Let's say, for example, that you and your colleagues meet once a week to discuss various issues. During the course of one week's discussion, a question is asked and answered. The very next week, a newcomer arrives at the discussion meeting and asks the exact same question. Would your response be "That question has already been asked"? No, I don't think so. Not very practical.

Just my opinion.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 00:36
So is Sinistar going to get an answer or does he have to search the Forum - if that is there has already been an answer in an absolute form.

I would like to ask Sinistar "have you found the answer yet?"
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
To answer Fdecked.
The reason i posted that answer is because.
I visit this forum around once or twice a day. And when i visit
this forum i hope to get some news conserning FPSC. I want there
to be new qestions asked and new intersting answers to read. I dont want to sift through the same questions over and over again before finding something new.
This is the same reason i find it anoying when people ask these silly way out there questions about Perpixel shading and drivable vehicles when the asnwers to those questions should be common sense.(or atleast reading the newsletter or the faq, or looking at the screenshots)
Sorry for being rude or harsh. That is simply the way i feel. Im sorry for acting like an arse. (we all get one shot at doing it right)
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 05:24
I understand perfectly what you're saying and where you're coming from, Noldor. However, the beauty of this form of asynchronous communication is that we each get the CHOICE of clicking on a thread topic or not. If we were meeting FTF, it would be exponentially more annoying to have to discuss the same issues every time we met and you wouldn't be able to escape the redundant questions. In this forum, we can escape those things by making the choice not to read a thread and go on to the next one.

The real problem I have with the generic "search for it" response is that this is a growing community of people with diverse background knowledge and involvement levels. There is simply no quicker way to kill an online community such as this than alienating the "newbies" with those "search for it" responses (right next to over-zealous, thread-locking mods).

As Rick has already pointed out, this community will soon be migrated to another area. When that happens, the FPSC community will need every member of the board. It is through that growing and sustained membership that FPSC will become a better, evolving tool.

And again, I don't think it's a big "sifting" job at all. The forum is set up so you can see the thread topics right away. It's a simple matter of scanning the threads at the top and then making the choice to click or not to click. Redundancy becomes much less annoying when you get into the habit of being selective on your clicks

That's all I was trying to point out with my earlier comments.
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
So instead of just answering it with like 3 or 4 words, you write an entire book about not asking the same question twice. Somehow that's less annoying.

If redundant, then please show me the link where the answer is because I can't really find anyone directly addressing the issue of how targets are assigned to entities as far as what they'll shoot at, follow, etc.

The board is a discussion board, not a FAQ. I was bringing up a discussion on an aspect of AI. Just because it's been discussed before doesn't mean it can't or indeed shouldn't be again.

It's not like I was asking how much it was going to cost or whether you could make a WW2 style game.
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 06:34
Another axiom of forums like this...can't please everyone. LOL!

OK, well it was never my intention to answer your question becuase I have no idea where the thread(s) are. I was simply defending your right to ask the question. I'm not a coder and won't be doing any scripting with FPSC. There are plenty of other more qualified folks here who could answer your question in like "3 or 4 words" I'm sure.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't I quess
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The real problem I have with the generic "search for it" response"

The real problem I have with it is that the search features for this forum are... well.. terrible (sorry Rich! )
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Well ok. They answered the question in an earlier thread saying that it is not possible to have the enemies belonging to different groups (friends, hostiles, bystanders) and have them fight each other.
Altouh it might (might not) be in a later version after the EA version.

"Fdecker" i see what you mean but i think the topcis do not say much about the actual thread. The topic often says what the first question might be but there might also be screenshots and other questions in those threads.
Ohh well something i have to live with i guess.
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
fdecker: I was agreeing with you (though maybe I could have worded it more clearly...)

Nolder: Thanks.

Though it seems it's not currently built in, if game entities have some way of knowing about each other and you can give them some associated variables I suspect you could probably script someting to make them shoot at each other.

I just can't wait till it comes out and we can start passing around scripts!
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Though it seems it's not currently built in, if game entities have some way of knowing about each other and you can give them some associated variables I suspect you could probably script someting to make them shoot at each other. "

This seems like a pretty logical thing. I'm sure Lee and the guys already have this on a list for possible features later on.

BTW - I like your name and avatar, but I think your quote should be
"I Live... RUN COWARD! RRRRRAGH!"
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 08:34
Noldor,

""Fdecker" i see what you mean but i think the topcis do not say much about the actual thread. The topic often says what the first question might be but there might also be screenshots and other questions in those threads.
Ohh well something i have to live with i guess""

good accurate point I thought about posting that but you beat me again - friend
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes Friend
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought the coolest thing I ever saw was in Doom I when a bunch of shotgun guys surrounded a zombiman and mowed him down. Or when you get the right combination of monsters in a room and hide behind a corner you hear all this growling and shooting and when you walk back in it's just all bodies... Good times!

Pogo.... I Hunger!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 17:07:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 17:07:34