Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / VB6 -> DLL Tutorial

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Are there any of you super brainy folks out there who would be willing to write a step by step tutorial for creating a plugin DLL in VB6? I know I would greatly appreciate it. Frankly, I've read everything I could find on the subject both here and on any other resource I could find, but I'm still hazy on it!

If you could write a simple DLL that had say two simple bits of functionality... Say a routine that takes a string as a parameter and throws up a MsgBox displaying that string, then returns the button clicked as a result (i.e. VBOk or VBCancel for example). The second one could take a numerical parameter and returned its string equivalent. If I could see, step for step what it took to get that simple functionality into a plugin it would greatly help me to wrap my head around the process.

Any soul kind enough to do that service for the community (as I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd see the utility of it) should be put in for sainthood!

Intel Pentium 4, 3.4GHz, 1280MB RAM, NVidia Quadro FX3000/256MB, 240GB HD, XP Pro
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 08:21
I didnt think you could make one in visual basic 6.. although you -can- make them in visual basic.net..

Atleast that's what i thought.

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 08:30
theres a sticky devoted to the topic in this very forum

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=44109&b=18

vbAdvance is quite neat, but there are a few other ways as well

G Man
Years of Service
User Offline
As I said If someone would be kind enough to go through a step-by-step, that'd be most helpful...

Intel Pentium 4, 3.4GHz, 1280MB RAM, NVidia Quadro FX3000/256MB, 240GB HD, XP Pro
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 10:29 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2005 10:30
Did you look in that thread and read thru it? If your using VB6 to make a dll you have 2 options: Writing a c++ wrapper for the dll, or using a third party exporter such as vbAdvance. In that thread there is a link to a code tutorial I wrote for vbAdvance and how to get it setup properly to export vb6 ax dll's as standard dll's - I am assuming you already know how to code in vb6 and write a standard vb6 dll. The rest is just Init and wrapper code for vbAdvance. Have a look-see in that thread, as I said.

G Man
Years of Service
User Offline
If you mean this thread (http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=42070&b=18) Yes I read it... I keep reading about everyone having problems with their "string tables". Is that not an issue with this method? Secondly, when you create the .DLL you outline in that thread, can the resultant .DLL be placed in the Plugins folder and your "Greet" function be accessed in DBPro code by simply:

x$=Greet("abc")

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 21:18
no, its a dll, not a plugin - therefore this method has no string table issue I don't know from string table mumbo-jumbo and dont code in any form of c. If you do vb.net you can make a dll and use zk's converter to make it a dll. He was also working on the converter generating the string table automatically for it to be a plugin for dbp. Don't know what the current status is with that.

G Man
Years of Service
User Offline
You see, that's what I was talking about though... If you read the original message it was refering to making a "plugin DLL" in VB6 and not an API DLL. Obviously being able to make an API DLL is the precursor to making a plugin DLL, but it is not the end product.

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 01:21
If you want to make a plugin, go do it in C++.

If you want to write an external DLL, I recommend you use vbAdvance.

(I think vbAdvance DLLs just don't work with DBC very well...)

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 03:43
Quote: "Obviously being able to make an API DLL is the precursor to making a plugin DLL"

right, and this is where I was offering you my help. I cant help with the other.

good luck

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:57:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:57:13