Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Multisync 0.1 - Multiplayer plugin for DarkBASIC Professional

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 05:14 Edited at: 27th Dec 2006 04:50
v0.5.3
* Added net push string/net pop string
* Changed net host/net join to avoid crashing if blank string is passed
* Changed net host/net join to accept hostnames
------------------------------------------------

Finally you can add online multiplayer functionality to your games with the latest plugin for DarkBASIC Professional. It is fairly easy to use and can be quite flexable to your needs. This can be used for server/client multiplayer games, and because it uses TCP message transfering is reliable. Putting data in messages can be done either with a series of push commands, or using a memblock.

Anyway, a list of the current functions:

v0.5.3
DLL, manual, and example:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=497044
(62KB ZIP)

v0.5.1 (Old)
DLL, manual, and example:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=495817
(40KB ZIP)

If you find any problems or have any questions then feel free to e-mail: mr_petrat_NOSPAM_@hotmail.com. Remove the _NOSPAM_ part.[b][/b]

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe)
Download the free version

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 05:16
Whoo, sweet!

You are not alone.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 05:25
Only 1Mb? I'm on 4Mb! (All you americans and japanese can stop laughing now!) 4Mb is hella fast in england!

1800+ XP - GeforceFX 5600 - 256MbDDR - 60Gb Hdd - XP Pro (SP2)
Mac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 06:07
Nice Benjamin, I'll be testing this over the next few days.

Thanks.
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
looks great
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 13:07
good stuff man.

NEW WEBSITE ONLINE (best viewed with FireFox)
XboxLive Gamertag: AZP
Psycho Gary
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 01:31
im hungry... o, good work Benjamin, tis lookin cool!

:p
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent, I'll test it tommorow.
xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 21:27
Cool, the example seems to connect very fast compare to dbpro native commands. I might try to replace my multiplayer code in my game with this if I have the time. Looks like a great plugin and the documentation is good too.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 22:17 Edited at: 27th Dec 2006 04:50
I'm glad you like it. The documentation is in early stages really, and I'm going to update it in a couple of days because theres some things I forgot to mention(like a detailed description of how to work with messages). Also theres a couple of simple extras I'm going to add to the DLL such as a function to see how many more bytes there are to read from the current message, stuff like that, that I'm gonna add before I do a real update. So that'll be uploaded tomorrow or something.

Right now I'm trying to think of a decent type of game I can make a tutorial from. I think I may take a DarkBASIC tutorial and adapt it to work as a multiplayer game.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe)
Download the free version

Attachments

Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 20:24 Edited at: 8th Feb 2005 21:08
How do I send a string?
I haven't been able to find a command that does that.

Btw, I really liked the example given.

EDIT:
one more question, let's say I've 2 messages.
(1) "MOVING"
(2) "1"
Would message number 1 take more bytes (or take longer to send/recieve) then message numebr 2 ?
and would the difference in bytes be really big ?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 23:15 Edited at: 9th Feb 2005 00:41
I haven't included a string sending function because it would have to store the length of the string as well as the string itself, or the programmer would have to know the exact length of the string.

I've just made functions to push and pop strings.

Quote: "
EDIT:
one more question, let's say I've 2 messages.
(1) "MOVING"
(2) "1"
Would message number 1 take more bytes (or take longer to send/recieve) then message numebr 2 ?"

If you put "MOVING" as a string then it would be 6 bytes(because it contains 6 characters), and it wouldn't effect the send/recieve times too much. However, if you are using that to tell a connected player your status, its better to use values representing the status rather than a string .

Multiplayer DLL on its way! Easy to use DLL for client/server multiplayer games.

CR: Because your mad
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
still have a few more questions

"moving" = 6 bytes
"1" = 1 byte

(1)so the bandwith used to send 6 "1" packets equals the bandwith of one "moving" packet ?

(2)my plan of sending data was like this:
when a user has pressed the upkey, meaning he's going forward, the following message would be sent:
"x,y,z,1"
where x,y,z are coordinates, and 1 represents moving forward.
When the message would be recieved, the program would then decrypt the message and put it into its corresponding variables.
Then, I noticed your example code, which showed this:

call dll 1,net_pushfloat,x#
call dll 1,net_pushfloat,z#
call dll 1,net_pushfloat,angle#
call dll 1,net_send,1

so does that code send one packet containg those values ?
because if I understand that right, it would pretty much save me from making encrypt and decrypt functions.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 00:39 Edited at: 9th Feb 2005 00:44
Quote: "(1)so the bandwith used to send 6 "1" packets equals the bandwith of one "moving" packet ?"

Not really, because each packet contains a header which is a set size, so if you sent six packets containing parts of data instead of one packet with all the data in it would be a big waste.

Quote: "so does that code send one packet containg those values ?"

The push functions put data into the current message, and the send function sends the current message. You can write up to 1KB of data to the message(as default - you can change the size).

Also I forgot to say that data is popped out of a message the opposite way round to which it was pushed . I really had better put a message sending example in that manual . Oh and I just fixed the string push/pop functions further up so they come out right .

Multiplayer DLL on its way! Easy to use DLL for client/server multiplayer games.

Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 00:43 Edited at: 10th Feb 2005 03:46
thx for the info.

EDIT:

Quote: "Also I forgot to say that data is popped out of a message the opposite way round to which it was pushed . "

If I could make a request for the next patch, could you please make messages pop out the way they were sent ?
It would just make life easier..
thx.

some more questions :

(1) Could a number larger then 255 be sent which is not a float ?
If I just want to send "1" or "2000" or 5000",A float seems like a really big waste.Using char would be good, but that's just up to 255...

(2) How would I know how many "messages" (data the you get from the pop commands) are?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2005 10:35 Edited at: 10th Feb 2005 10:36
Quote: "(1) Could a number larger then 255 be sent which is not a float ?
If I just want to send "1" or "2000" or 5000",A float seems like a really big waste.Using char would be good, but that's just up to 255..."

Use net_pushword, words are 2 bytes each(a float is 4) and can store values up to 65536.

Quote: "(2) How would I know how many "messages" (data the you get from the pop commands) are?"

I've just recently updated the DLL with 2 new functions: net_getmsginsize, and net_getmsgoutsize. They return sizes of a message that is being read from or written to. You'll want net_getmsginsize for reading a message. Each time you read a piece of data, the size goes down.

The download is attached to the first post.

FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2005 21:23
easy is the best~ I'm new to programming so it suit for me. Thanks
1.Could this plugin conduct Memblock now or in the future(maybe for string sending)?
2.How many connection could it afford at same time in theroy? is it possible to realize mmo game with this plugin?
Very XieXie

AMD Duron1800+, 256 ddr ram, Gforce2 MX 32mb, 120gb, Windows 2000 advanced server. DBPro1.05. "Sorry for my english" "New to Programming"
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2005 22:08
Quote: "1.Could this plugin conduct Memblock now or in the future(maybe for string sending)?"

Well, I had allowed for that to be possible, although I did forget a minor thing that would make it impossible without . I'll upload another small update later, then I'll explain how to do it.

Quote: "2.How many connection could it afford at same time in theroy?"

I'm not exactly sure, possibly thousands if you had a fast enough connection.

Quote: "is it possible to realize mmo game with this plugin?"

You wish . Well technically you could have a 'largly multiplayer' game, I'm not sure about a 'massively multiplayer' game though. I suppose people will just have to find out for themselves.

Multisync v0.1 ready! - Easy to use muliplayer plugin for DarkBASIC Professional - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47654&b=5
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 01:31 Edited at: 12th Feb 2005 01:36
Ok version 0.1.2 uploaded, and can be found here:
http://www.lerioonia.com/Clover/multisync.zip

It includes 3 new functions: net_seekin, net_seekout, net_getmsgtotalsize. Look at the slightly updated manual for more information.

Quote: "If I could make a request for the next patch, could you please make messages pop out the way they were sent ?"

Perhaps..

Right, now, to use memblocks for the input/output buffers. Firstly, you need to get the pointers of the memblocks, like so:

Next we need to pass the pointers to the DLL so it knows where to store information:

The last parameter there is to tell the DLL the size of the buffers. Now all messages received go in memblock 1, and when you send a message it uses memblock 2 to take data from. Of course, to do that you'll need to tell the DLL how much data is in memblock 2, to do that you use net_seekout. For example:

That tells the DLL there are 8 bytes in the outgoing buffer, and therefore will send 8 bytes from the memblock.

Multisync v0.1 ready! - Easy to use muliplayer plugin for DarkBASIC Professional - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47654&b=5
darkdomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 12:17
hello

Plese create a complete Network o easy Net Connections, comunicate via Smpt Protocol. and Other Protocol type pop3 ecc..

Create plese a Plug-in Complete send a E - Mail.

Tipe Telnet.exe Mail.iol.it 25
Recive msg Server
Helo
Recive msg Server
and others command

Help Create a Plug - in Comunicate via smpt protocol .

Hello attend news

Anxiously awaiting BlueGUI v2

it informs to me when and ended BlueGUI v2
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 17:20 Edited at: 12th Feb 2005 17:26
So you can write up to 1KB for each packet.
If you don't fill up the 1KB, the packet size would still be 1KB.
Let say I want to send 4 floats, each floats size is 4 bytes, so that adds up to 16 bytes. The packet would weigh 1 KB, but the real message would wiegh just 16 bytes, so that's just a huge waste.
The solution would be of course, to downsize the buffers.
For example, making each packet header size to 20 bytes.

Lets do a comparison:
The new packet would have 4 floats, and a total of 20 bytes size.
The previous packet would have 4 floats, and a total of 1KB.

My question is, does the time it takes for the 1KB packet to arrive to its destination, does that equal to 50 packets each 20 bytes ?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 22:38 Edited at: 13th Feb 2005 03:23
Oh, I forgot to mention, the DLL keeps track of the amount of data you have pushed into a message, it only sends the amount that you have pushed.

Quote: "My question is, does the time it takes for the 1KB packet to arrive to its destination, does that equal to 50 packets each 20 bytes ?"
No, because of the checking that is done(Winsock does it, not me) and also the packet headers. I might do some research into how big the headers are.

Quote: "Plese create a complete Network o easy Net Connections, comunicate via Smpt Protocol. and Other Protocol type pop3 ecc."

You you mean a way to send e-mails? Thats not exactly what this DLL is for

FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 05:47
It could send memblocks now, Great news~
1. I'm not know MMO game very well, do you know how to avoid hacking or add-on to disturb the game-playing? I just know maybe the data for sending or recieving should be encrypted, do you have any idea? (Maybe it don't need in this plugin, i'm not sure)
2. Sending each string to thousands of PCs at same time from server, could this plugin relaize that easily?(sending character by character is not effiencient enough, any idea?)
Thanks for your work, I really need it~ Very nice!

AMD Duron1800+, 256 ddr ram, Gforce2 MX 32mb, 120gb, Windows 2000 advanced server. DBPro1.05. "Sorry for my english" "New to Programming"
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 06:43 Edited at: 14th Feb 2005 06:44
I've just been doing some tests, and I managed to create 60,000 sockets without error. Took up about 20MB of RAM and took about 4 seconds to load . I have no way of seeing if everything works fine with 60,000 clients connected though, so I'm not sure about that.

Quote: "1. I'm not know MMO game very well, do you know how to avoid hacking or add-on to disturb the game-playing? I just know maybe the data for sending or recieving should be encrypted, do you have any idea?"
The DLL doesn't (yet) support any type of encryption, so the programmer would have to do that himself. I suppose with those kind of games you have to just handle data in a way that its not possible for someone to cheat even if they did crack the encryption. For instance, you wouldn't have world coordinates sent to the server; instead you would have the offsets of the coordinates sent, so if they aren't within a certain range of the old coordinates, then its possible that someone is trying to cheat.

Quote: "
2. Sending each string to thousands of PCs at same time from server, could this plugin relaize that easily?(sending character by character is not effiencient enough, any idea?)"

In theory it would be a matter of putting each character of the string into the message, then using net_sendall to send the message to all of the clients, though I haven't been able to test this yet with a large amount of people.

dj chainz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 16:32
I can't get the Host demo to work - it freezes as soon as I enter my IP. I have tried disabling my firewall and that doesn't help - what is wrong?

I am the lead programmer at red spark studios
I also have a blog on how to make a game enginehttp://dbgame.blogspot.com
http://www.brazilianhotties.tk
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 21:28
Indeed. You need to copy the DLL to C:\windows\system32 or the folder you are compiling host.dba in.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 00:32
Maan, looks like you've done a good job here Ben, but I just can't get it to work. The connection for host always fails (can't test client as I don't have a server to test on ). I know I've got my IP right (80.229.23.131). I've stuck the dll in the folder and system32, but it always fails, in your example and one I wrote of my own. Is there anything I should've done before attempting this? I've read through everything (I think so anyway) you included in the zip, and can't find any more instructions. The host log reads...

Cheers for any help .

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 00:52
That code means the IP is invalid or not available. Make sure you're entering it properly. If all else fails, try putting a space before the IP because for some odd reason someone did that before and it worked.

Quote: "(can't test client as I don't have a server to test on )"

Simply get the host example working, then enter the same IP for the client example .

I must include a list of error codes in that manual

Multisync v0.1 ready! - Muliplayer plugin for DarkBASIC Professional - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47654&b=5

"Lets migrate like bricks" - Me
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 00:59
Doesn't work, even if a space. I am entering it exactly like this...

I tried with a space and it made no difference . I have 2 computers connected in my LAN if that makes any difference. I also put the port code at the end...

But that didn't work. I have disabled windows firewall, but my router firewall is still on, and I don't know how to disable that.

BTW, the connection fails instantly, does it usually do that? Is that an indicator that it isn't valid, rather than not available?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 01:08
When you try and host, it should do everything immediatly anyway, thats normal. Your totally sure you have put in the right IP address?

http://whatsmyip.smokingmedia.com/

Routers and firewalls shouldn't make any problems for hosting; only when someone tries to connect to you your firewall may block it.

Multisync v0.1 ready! - Muliplayer plugin for DarkBASIC Professional - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47654&b=5

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 01:14
That IP is what all the websites keep telling me . I used a different method, by typing "ipconfig/all" into cmd prompt. It gave me this info...

I typed in 192.168.0.4 and it connected. But from what it says there, that looks like the local address (is there such a thing? I'm clueless when it comes to networking). Maybe you could try and connect to that address as a client? I have the exe running right now.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 01:18
Just tried connecting a few times now, no luck unfortunatly.

[href url=http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47654&b=5][img]http://www.lerioonia.com/Clover/multisync.png[img][/href]
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 01:23 Edited at: 16th Feb 2005 01:30
Yes it should be the local address. I think . Actually, just for the sake of it, host using your loopback address. Although this means no one else can connect, you can run the client example and probably connect using the loopback address.

[href url=http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47654&b=5][img]http://www.lerioonia.com/Clover/multisync.png[img][/href]
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 01:29 Edited at: 16th Feb 2005 01:32
Did it give a non-existant IP address error? If it didn't that's always a good sign, may mean my machine is just blocking you. However it does work on my machine, and also across the LAN.

Also I used some location tracker for IPs, and it said the server was in London :S. I'm not in London, and that IP address also comes up when using the other PC, so maybe that was the server of our ISP?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 01:32 Edited at: 16th Feb 2005 01:35
It works across the LAN? Whoo! Anyway, I forgot to check the host code, but its 10060, and apparently that is when the connection times out, therefore its probably your firewall blocking me.

Wait a minute...isn't that your LAN address?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 01:33
Nice one . Now to figure out how to change my firewall settings.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 01:38 Edited at: 16th Feb 2005 01:39
Thinking about the fact that its possible that is your LAN IP, are you the local host on the network - in other words, are you the one that is connected to the net, or is another computer connected that you are using your connection from?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 01:50 Edited at: 16th Feb 2005 01:55
I don't think either computer connects through the other. We have an adapter (router?) that the phone line plugs into, and both computers connect to the internet through that.

You on msn? I'm logging in right now.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 18:09
Gah! This is really annoying . I can ping the address alright with a 0ms ping time, so that kind of indicates that it's my IP, but it still insists that I can't set up a server on it. I don't have to install or setup any stuff in order for my PC to act as a server do I? (WinXP).

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 23:57
Nah you don't need anything special for it. Seeing as your behind an adaptor/router, I think that affects a lot. Luckily I have had a great idea to find your IP . Basically come online later (on msn), then I'll give you my IP to try to connect to (using the client program), so then you try and connect to me, and my firewall will block it. And then I'll see the IP it has blocked, and I can verify its you by checking the port in the packet header...so..yeah. Lets try that sometime.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 23:58
I may have sorted it. Time will tell.

On another note, I presume it is best to have a completely separate exe for running a game server, and it isn't wise to build it into the game (crashes, slowdown etc.). What do other people think?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2005 09:36 Edited at: 17th Feb 2005 10:36
Yeah well I'm thinking about making a scriptable server program in C++ (as you now know).

I am making progress with this DLL. I have just now changed the way it handles new connections; now it searches for a free slot rather that incrementing in slots and wasting memory. Basically, if someone connects to you as player 3, if they get disconnected then someone else can become that player. I'm next gonna add a net_killplayer function, then I'll program a message stacking function.

EDIT: Hey, just managed to connect to an IRC server and see the server messages. Perhaps this DLL could be used for making IRC clients .

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2005 17:43 Edited at: 19th Sep 2005 10:23
It looks like that i have the same problem as hamish. I'm behind a router as well.

Yesterday i was with osmania on msn. He made a host/client system that works on his and my local network. But when we want to connect to each other over the internet it doesn't work.

My LAN ip is 192.168.8.2 (looks almost the same as from hamish). But for my ip is a bit strange. All the websites keep telling me that it is 80.++.++.++ . But if i try to host on that ip it doesnt work, same as hamish. When i look in cmd > ipconfig/all i get this(sorry in dutch): Look at the attachy.

this is telling me that my ip is: 169.254.115.217
I can host a game on this ip, but osmania can't connect to it.

is that because of my router?

.::Studying game design at the moment::.

Attachments

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2005 19:49 Edited at: 19th Feb 2005 19:51
It would seem so. I can't remember exactly how Hamish solved it though. I think you need to configure your router to forward data to you or something..

EDIT: What does ingeshakeld mean?

dj chainz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2005 22:54
I am still having problems with hosting / My IP.

I ran the ipconfig on cmd and these are the rather complex results:

I have tried connecting to all those IPs. They all failed (error 10049 on the serverlog), apart from 172.200.255.230 and 169.254.17.38 which froze the program. I had my firewall off as well, so unless there's some crap AOL block, I can't see the problem. I wish I knew more about networking...

I am the lead programmer at red spark studios
I also have a blog on how to make a game enginehttp://dbgame.blogspot.com
http://www.brazilianhotties.tk
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 03:35
Jopie:

What you need to do, is somehow access your router settings. I do it by going to http://192.168.0.1. Then you can set port forwarding. Port forwarding means that if people connect to your router (your routers address is what the websites keep telling you) through a specific port, then it forwards the connection to a specific address on your LAN (169.254.115.217, though that address looks a bit odd). On my router settings you simply have to enter a port range, and the LAN IP address. I had to upgrade by router firmware to get port forwarding working, but you may not have to. Best thing is to look on the manufacturers website to see how to do it, or failing that, google it.

Apart from that, you need to configure your firewall to let people through. I just have to switch of DoS protection, but that may not be the same for you.

DJChainz - You tried to set up a server of that address (169.254.17.38)? It should work.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 03:44
Can this be used to make something like msn? where u can make a screen name e.g MRWHITEUNREAL@HOTMAIL.COM and if someone adds that to their program....you can talk to them and share files?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 04:09
Yeah in theory but it wouldn't be best to use DB for something like that.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 04:29
Y would it not be ok?? would dark basic create too much lag or something??

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 05:01
Well unless it included some kind of 3D feature then it would be highly inefficent for what it was.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:43:20
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:43:20