Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / NGC booklet !

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 03:06
Hi everyone , the purpose of this is to gather some pieces of infos so as to make a decent "manual" official or unofficial for nuclear glory , coming up with examples , if anyone has pieces of advice to give , start right away , i've the chance to be a noob at ngc , so if anyone doesn't explain fully i'd be here to rephrase it

The manual once done , would be turned into a "printable version" so all can have it printed and easy to use .

A pixel is nothing , lots of can be all
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 03:09 Edited at: 9th Feb 2005 03:10
If you would like some info on NGC 2.03 I'll be glad to help. If you come up with a basic order of learning you want to folow, I can make examples with step by step comments in the code and instructions on how to make the projects. Just let me know what you come up with or want to do. I think this is a great idea.

[edit] I've given up on NGC v3.01 as it is just too buggy ATM to use properly. When they fix it I'm sure most of the 2.03 guidelines will fit it as well.

Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 05:11 Edited at: 9th Feb 2005 05:13
well ok lost ; hmmm i'm facing a small dilema right now , you're saying nuclear glory 3 is buggy , well then ... what would you advice to make me have my collision working proper ? (for now)
go ask them version 2 or ... ?? whatever you'd advice is a plus for us all
I take on account the v3 manual is already dense , and particularily hard to get 'in a sec' for users like me , discovering it
Hmmmmmm ... isn't there anything you did and would like to share you could post ? I don't really know what it'll turn like , but i think i may make a pdf or a printable html version .
I think a cool first step would be the "what did i do first at first when i got it" things to avoid , to think of , etc ....
it could come up with a short example ... but the purpose is not to rephrase what ngc already did ... it's to fix the lacks

Your experience would be welcome

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 06:01
Yes, I would be willing to contribute. My failures lead me to be quite experienced in the pitfalls!

Rather than let this project find it's own way, can I suggest some structure before it goes any further?

BatVink
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 06:01
Known NGC 3.01 bugs are found here.
http://www.nuclearglory.com/php-bin/members/forum.php?user=Guest&hash=&siteCode=1§ion=topics&boardid=11
There are far too many to list. I gave up on it. Basically the easiest way to get it working on a basic scale (though it will be slower than v2.03) you do the following:

I'm at work so this is just example list I'll put actual commands here when I get home.

Turn the octree off

when setting the raduis of the collision objects always make the x,y,and z values the same size

don't call the ray casting too many times per loop as it will lock the machine up

avoid rotating objects with code (try rotating them in modelling software then just loading)

avoid scaling objects (works most of the time make sure to use the NGC replacement code for scale object)

The only response mode that works sort of usable is resp_slide all others seem buggy.

The normals returned from ray casting are not always correct (they seem to have errors when on perfectly horizontal faces)

Among others I can't think of right now. If I didn't already own v2.03 I would email them asking when a fix was going to be posted for v3.01 or give me access to 2.03 until then.

Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 06:23 Edited at: 9th Feb 2005 06:25
@Bat
ok sure everyone is welcome to join it's open minded / open source
for now i think the first step should be to make a simple "hello world" like project , a tutorial like for ngc .
@Lost
let's write this down , i'll also quote old posts found here a little later .

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 07:01
Hello World Type tutorial

From some of the questions around here, I think people need an explanation as to why you use the commands. Once you know why, it's easier to digest.

BatVink
Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 07:21 Edited at: 13th Feb 2005 07:25
Ok i've been through the NGC plugin and i must say there are 2 things to notice that are important , and i'll do a pdf about it .
- The first one , there is a code to copy paste in the source code called constants , this code allows users to write fonctions more easily.
"ellip2mesh" instead of the 1234 numbers that could be forgotten more easily.
- Second , for new users , don't make ellipsoids ... make spheres (that's silly but NGC3 seems bugged according to many old school users) , that is use a radius that is equal at all places , 303030 for instance.
HMMMM .... i think that is all ... i'm actually lazy to make a pdf but ... arrr
here is a code to show the way it work : it's very simple

this code came from the topic http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47855&b=18and got corrected since it needed to , i think it could be used as a model to newcomers i tuned it to explain a bit more what do what it's a step by step first step code , i recommend you use it to understand the commands since it's minimalistic ....
I hope this helped , just listen to Lostinthoughts's advices you'd need them before next update
here !

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 10:12 Edited at: 15th Feb 2005 05:39
I'll be making a from download to finish example of how to use the NGC system for another forum user first thing (hopefully) tomorrow. I'll make 2 more versions using DBP made objects (and possibly the media that comes with NGC) and post here. One version for v2.03 and a version for 3.01. Anything you especially want in it please post here. I had to work late and am too tired to do it tonight. I will try to make it as easy as I can and with plenty of comments and step by step instructions. I will be using the DBP Default IDE as it will be the most common for everyone to have (as much as I hate it).

[edit]OK after spending most of the day trying to make v3.01 run good enough to be useful, I have failed. I did get a version going at 20 FPS bypassing all of the bugs but the test level runs at 200 FPS in v2.03. If I all i had was v3.01 I would email them asking for access to v2.03 until they get v3.01 fixed. I ran many tests and you can get it to work some ways with some levels and other ways with other levels, but no one cure all method to work all the time.

[edit2] Supposedly an update may be out by the end of this month or early next for v3.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:24:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:24:18