Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Shenmue III Box Art

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 08:01

Paintshop Pro 7
Yusaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 08:02
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 09:53
lol... i'd say don't quit your programming job
was never really a big fan of this game, and been hearing alot about 3 recently.
Quite frankly i think the hype is lost on me, because unless they've edited it to effectively not be the same game then its gonna be just as boring as the others.

they might as well just release this as a DvD movie rather than a game ... but just my opinion

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 10:58
I always like to see fan-art and hoaxes. There are a few galring errors if u look tho. I agree with Raven about the Shenmue being too much watching not enough doing But I know many people have got a great deal of enojoyment out of them too

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 17:54
Cool! Hey Yusaku, what about your Shenmue Zero? when's the Demo coming out? <thats if it isn't out already>

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 20:00
anyone notice how Halo STILL isn't out for the PC yet ... what a < Censored > < Censored > with < Censored >. Just gets my < Censored > that < Censored > microsoft and < Censored > < Censored > < Censored > bungie can't be < Censored > < Censored > to release a < Censored > game which they < Censored > us 2 < Censored > years ago!!
i'm feeling very < Censored > < Censored > < Censored > right now

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 20:01
Maybe they wanna sell more X-Shite Boxes

"A true warrior fights with skill, not anger..."

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 22:43
Microsoft won't let Halo be released on PC until Halo 2 is out for Xbox. Otherwise it would be directly competing with itself.

Similar to Sega not releasing Crazy Taxi on PS2 until the sequel was released on Dreamcast, even though it had been 100% code complete 6 months earlier Shame they didn't spend that 6 months adding more Crazy Box, A Multiplayer mode, Reducing Pop-up, and properly optimising the game for PAL / 60Hz

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 22:50
The politics of the Game Industry

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 23:28
ya know what piss's me off the most about this... is that it was developed for the PC FIRST!!!
ack... the Tomb Raiders i worked on we're all released on all platforms at once - i don't understand how the hell its bad for business to release on a second platform

i mean its allowing for double the sales, and now HALO is old technology and will have to compete with Unreal2 which is i'm sorry to say is WAY more advanced.

but i'd love to play the bugger with a keyboard and mouse, i hate the < cencored > < cencored > stupid < cencored > sidewinder rippoff controller.

its like Red Faction 2 on the PS2 ... games like that just arn't ment for consoles i'm afriad.
anyone tried to play nitefire or Jedi Knight2 on the GameCube? I mean its oki, but the C stick isn't exactly the same as the 3D Stick - which is the bitch i have about the Playstation controllers, they're just not free enough to allow for the precision you want.

Anyone who's used the Gravis Aftershock (NOW THATS A HELLOFA CONTROLLER!) that you don't need to make the 3D sticks so tough that your fight with them

i mean the 3D stick isn't exacty loose, but cause the springs aren't super strong makes it very nice and plyable

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2003 13:36
I agree You can't beat the Keyboard/Mouse Combo for FPS it just doesn't work on pad. Goldeneye was just about OK, but basically no pad can offer the flexibility and response time needed. And yes the X-Box pad is an unusable, ugly monstrosity Shame cos there are a few nice games on the ugly, 2 tonne box

I guess the Issue for Microsoft about releasing Halo, is that Halo is still the main reason most users buy an Xbox. While there have been some excellent other game (JetSetRadio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Splinter Cell, DOA Volleyball [no trust me, its v playable as well as visulally pleasing lol] and a select few more) but they are either 'weird' games that may alienate the mass gaming public, or third party releases of games already out on PS2. Halo sells Xboxes like Goldeneye sold N64, TombRaider sold PSX and Sonic sold Megadrive. Its a one-trick pony. And until Microsoft can top it, they won't wanna share it

IMHO though, it'll seriously backfire, because when people finally play the PC version, they will see it as outdated and a bit stale, and the word will get around and people will stop buying XBox on the back of it Plus from what I've seen, the sequel doesn't improve massively on the original, contrary to what most magazines will initially say

As 4 TombRaider, it always amused me that TombRaider was Playstation's flagship product, bringing it into the mainstream. Admittedly Ridge Racer, Tekken, WipEout, Destruction Derby and ToShinDen all did a lot to initiate the console, and kill off the initial competition from the more expensive but seemingly underpowered Saturn, but Playstation never reach MASS market, non-gamers till TombRaider. Ok so it was a good game (not the sequels tho 'ack) so why does it amuse me it sold PSXs? Because it was released on Saturn, BEFORE Playstation, and the Saturn version was BETTER! Sega just didn't have the marketing budget to get people to notice this small point tho lol

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2003 21:23
well its more that the Saturn was more expensive to buy, the game was more expensive ... so really people went for the £100 cheaper greystation with a £30 version of TR
and for some reason the US people didn't even wanna know about the Saturn

which is strange cause it was a reasonable price there - but it was here where it did the business
pitty we don't have the 16.5million console gamer market to actually support a console on our own - atleast not one that cost $2bil in development.

personally i think TR was amazing, and TR2 acutally was more of an additional level and was quite cool.
TR3 kinda lost my interest as it wouldn't run on my computer (and i never bought a playstation until 2years back when the PSone came out)
TR4 was oki (and i say this as part of the team) ... the vehicle enhancements were cool, but lacked the appeal and overall feel. Was more like old hack, but was a much better 3D engine (and Lara hehee)
TR5 althought most will say its just a hack of 4, and for the most part they'd be right was quite innovative in some areas, with the puzzles being a bit more thoughtful - and it being more of an Action game than a sit back and wonder what happens next.
Especially the later levels.
But what was a killer for it was it was too damn'd short just to get it out on time. Though that said the Level Editor on the PC version was outstanding (if you could get the hang of it)

I'll be getting my "pre-order" copy of Angel of Darkness tomorrow ... my brother is comming down with it personally along with the Lara .max i asked for
i feel like its christmas all over again.
and i've learnt that its only going to be £28!! how sweet is that for a brand new game?

i can't wait too see how they've improved it since November

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 00:55
Unfortunately for the Saturn, like you said, the launch price was too high, and the release games comapred very poorly to te PS lineup -
Daytona (Amazing arcade game very poor conversion) - Ridge Racer Was Better
Virtua Fighter 1 - Tekken 1 & ToShinDen 1 both LOOKED better
Bug - looked like a bad 32x game
Clockwork Knight - looked like a bad SNES game
Panzer Dragoon 1 - Original, but linear and not as playable initially as PS's original games, WipEout and Destruction Derby

plus it was an ugly looking console, with a hideous pad, and badly overpriced (Hey - reminds me of Xbox at launch! Even has the 'hard-drive' in the form of built in memory for saves )

Yes, I have big hopes for Angel of Darkness, and will get a copy as soon as its released here - it'll be on PS2 tho as I try not to fill my HDD with games unless I have to (Eg they're PC exclusive lol)

The problem with the TombRaider sequels for me was level design, and the fact they never really progressed. TR1 was massively original, and had some decent puzzles. The sequels just added nicer graphics, but more generic find a key, pull a lever style levels. The sequels all felt like add-on packs to me. Tomb Raider 2 was acceptable, if less balanced than the first, but 3 was obviously rushed. TR4 was a little cooler cos I had the Dreamcast version which looked Nice, and the jeep driving bits were welcome, but TR5 again dissapointed me by not really progressing. As a rule I hate games that update faster than they progress - EG Fifa, TombRaider, Sonic 3&Knuckles (although I loved 1&2). I much prefer to wait a few years for a true sequel, which seems to be whats happened with TR6 I hope it works, I'd love to see Lara do something that feels fresh and playable again

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 12:00
theres a really cool story behind why TR6 has taken 2years instead of the originally planned 1 ... and it has nothing to do with not having a working engine because the actual engine hasn't changed much in a year

Released either March 11th or April 3rd (i honestly don't remember, nor care cause mine will be here at lunchtime WOOO!)

Unfortunatly your right TR didn't progress level wise greatly between any of the versions ... but the graphics engines progressed quite nicely - and whenyou find a formula that works why change it?

i mean take a look at fifa since 98, they've barely changed the setup other than graphics and this years with signature moves - but essentically purchasing the game now is no different to how it was like 5years back (sad no?)
but as it makes EA a nice 8 figure sum per year profit
why sit there change the whole format and loose that major customer base?

personally i think the best FIFA was the orignial Snes version - never bought any of the others
but then there was a NES football game that beat that but i forget the name hehee.
ISS really is one of the better football sims right now, but they also hyper release the same old game.

Sad really cause people DO spend thier hard earnt cash on something that they coulda spent it on PreOrdering Unreal2 released April or Tomb Raider
hehee

you actually get some Oni style fighting and interaction i this one, plus deeper involving levels, so i hope so.
but then again TR5 - when the original Von Croy building was developed, there was ALOT more you could do.
But had to be taken out cause Eidos were all jittery that adding that kinda violence and movement would make people complain.
If you want to know what you missed out, checkout the Intro demo cause we wanted to make sure everyone saw what was planned. Personally i loved the slide takle, but when that went - most of the back guys also went
And the helicopter chase had a bit where it smashed into the building and people jumped out.
And on the PC version there were Civies walking about the building minding thier own business that were non mission related.

Ho hum hey - i hate how publishers tend to get final say

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 16:22
Yeah that sound quality Shame it got axed I appreciate the "if it aint broke don't fix it" attitude, but when a company releases as often as TombRaider, or Worse Fifa, it just feels a bit stale, and like they should be released as cheaper add on disks, not full priced identikit games. Personally to me they feel Lazy.

I actually had the original Fifa on Megadrive, it was great! Best version there was, unless you count the identical snes version, or the PC Cd-Rom port with comentary! As soon as Fifa95 was released, the series never realyy progressed, if anything it got worse You're right, the ISS games tend to be the best current examples of a soccer game, although I prefer the Pro Evolution developments of it.

The level design in TR1 was actually far less linear than in all the sequels - although there were glipses of some originality in TR4 + 5, so I hope 6 will be far more than a graphical improvement. Personally I don't care how many polygons are used in Laras chest, the DOA girls are much fitter lol

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 21:39
"Finally, last year, Microsoft announced that there would indeed be a PC version of Halo, developed by Texas-based Gearbox Software. At the time, Gearbox seemed pretty busy, simultaneously working on the PC version of 007:NightFire as well as Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. But with the former game released, and the latter having shifted development to Ritual Software, we can only assume that Gearbox has Halo squarely in their sights." Gamespy 2003 outlook.

They went on to "helpfully" point out that it "might" be online, would "probably" use the keyb/mouse combo (! lol), and "may even look better than the Xbox Version".

I guess by these comments that not much information on it is available, and the possibility of it only looking as good as the Xbox version is frankly ridiculous, in a year when DOOMIII, Unreal II and Deus Ex 2 are all scheduled for release... and if it doesn't play online I shall fall off my chair laughing!

NightFire was unplayable due to a BIG no-no in games, die once, and the whole level has to reload, and you're kept waiting again! BAAAAD lazy programming. Plus why has the development of CounterStrike:CZ been taken out of their hands? Because it was cr*p. This is my guess, based on the fact that the new team are reprogramming the entire game from the ground up.

Looks like PC Halo doesn't have the best outlook But then again, with a sequel to DOOM being released I don't really care about any other FPS till I play that

Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 22:28
Aww, "only on X-Box?" Sega, treacherous back-stabbers. Gone is the golden age of the console. I'm jumping ship, but I'll always have a nostalgic tear in my eye...

I wonder if Gearbox are going to start making their own software soon. Opposing Force was pretty cool.

Who wants cake? I've got a little slice of hell for everyone.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2003 01:55
"Finally, last year, Microsoft announced that there would indeed be a PC version of Halo, developed by Texas-based Gearbox Software. At the time, Gearbox seemed pretty busy, simultaneously working on the PC version of 007:NightFire as well as Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. But with the former game released, and the latter having shifted development to Ritual Software, we can only assume that Gearbox has Halo squarely in their sights."

now can anyone actually tell me ALL the mistakes withing this sentance?
Firstly ... why would a game Designed to use a DirectX 8.1 require a port for PC?
Believe it or not the ONLY code they require is to setup the shaders as a third party option, and redevelop the control system ... WHICH at first glance might not seem so obsurd, but when you know for a fact that a GOLD version of Halo has been sitting on a Bungie HDD prior Microsoft's takeover.

Well thats problem Number 1

second thing is why does it mention Gearbox as making Condition Zero? because everyone know that Value are the ACTUAL developers of it. Alot of people in the industry were livid that the Team Fortress 2 was put on Hiata for them to make an SP version of CounterStrike.

thats problem number 2

Doom3 and Unreal2 released within a week of each other ... WHAT BRIGHT FRIGGIN' SPARK in marketing thought THAT would be a good idea.

that problem number 3

personally i think the whole scene at the moment is a complete cock and might i say up ... because quite frankly NOTHING is getting finished, and titles are bouncing around software houses like hot potatoes.

Those titles that are being finished are bloody not being released right - ack i swear i'm begining to hate the industries ever growing beaucracy seriously am.

Ya know how much i'm getting piss'd of with ... today i gave my brother £200 sent him down to GameStation, and he bought me a new N64 with all the goodies i wanted.
So screw the industry i'm playing classics!

later tonite i'm gonna go into my loft and get down my N64DD with Pokémon and i'm gonna have some REAL fun playing Pokémon Green the WAY it was ment to be played

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2003 11:15
lol cool can I come?

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2003 23:36
Just in case it already hasnt been said...

HALO PC comes out July 1st
HALO 2 comes out August 1st

That is if they dont push either back, like game companies so much like to do. I have both pre-ordered.

The Shadow Guyver
http://heero_yuy1983.tripod.com/nrtp/
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 13:36
i'll see if i can get my TV Card working on this system i spilt tea on last nite ... i'll take some screenshot - almost like being there hehee

i was walking about earlier in it get haviing some fun after wakeing up. So i have this Raticate right and I was chasing a Pikachu. The little bugger didn't wanna fight so he made a break for it.

I'm there running around trees trying to grab him so we went into a battle. Finally got in the battle ... POOF!
my Raticate killed it in a single hit

i know pokémon is kinda childish, but i don't care its pretty cool on the N64DD - personally can't wait for the Cube version due in Q3 2003

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 22:06
lol cool

Nah I love Pokemon, its on of the most engrossing games I've ever played... I had Blue and just couldn't put it down till I had a full Pokedex and all monsters at level 100! lol Gave up a bit after Silver and Gold came out tho, they were good improvements, but I think the novelty had worn off

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 23:52
i never really liked Silver or Gold ... but then i had Crystal 4months before either hit the US
by the time everyone else was hyping about it was old hat to me ... thing with Pokémon there is only SO-MUCH i can take of it, before it bores the hell outta me.

then put it at the back of the closet and then when i'm bored i'll think ... i'll beat the PokéLeague again
do it with alot of old titles.

recently had a gaming marathon of ALL the Monkey Islands - that was alot of fun. Just as much to actually get 1 & 2 working with sound on XP and C-Media soundchip hehee

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 15:01
Hehe yeah Many dos games are nigh-on impossible to get running stably with sound in XP... thank god for Doom95 shell - Man I never lost my love affair with Doom 1.9

Monkey Island was funny - I never played the new 3d versions tho, were they any good? I think I saw one on PS2! Plus you can even get a full version of Broken Sword on GBA, jeez it feels weird to play, but its accurate

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 19:20
that picture up there is icky
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 23:00
i've got both Broken Swords, had the same troubles - but i understand howto setup XP now to play them.

It's a pig of a doing thou
I dont' use Doom95 thou - use jDoom, Direct3D Acelerated additional effect Doom Madness ... and if thats not enough, the source code is free to download ans tweak to your hearts contents

MI4 the 3D one is pretty funny although i keep getting stuck in it
Gonna get Full Throttle 2 when its released. Pitty the guy who did the voice for the original died - but the guy they got to replace him has done a bang up job. Should be interesting.

and nothing to do with this thread but just got an email from Watford Electronics,
AlthonXP 1.8Ghz - £100
48x16x48x CDRW - £35
DDR2 512Mb Clk2 - £70
me thinks that me is gonna go out and get some new components for a new system
hehee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:16:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:16:45