Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Advice please!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 21:12
I'm in the market for a new Athlon motherboard and have come down to 3!

Asus A7V333
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra

Recommendations please! and thanks
Dazzy
DB IRC Chat irc.hashnet.org port 6667 #darkbasic
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 22:17
Apparently Asus motherboards are less reliable than other competitors (as they crash a lot), or so say the two blokes working on my PC right now

Visit [url]www.lightning-systems.co.uk[/url]
You are the th person to view this signature.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 00:21
Yeah I would use the Gigabyte board, I have had them before and they are fine. I have heard of people with problems using Asus boards also

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 01:17
yup Gigabyte all the way ... i've had several types of board over the years and Giga seem'd to be the only guys out there who really know what they're doing.

Though if you can afford it with an AMD processor either get AMD's 768 board or nVidia's nPower2 board

Asus have alot of faults on them, biggest one being that any processor that you put on there can't actually be detected properly by anything other than the OS - so all that extra power from those fancy updates you can forget about cause quite simply programs will think you have a standard x86 mmx processor

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 01:56
i got stuck with an asus clusc2 which forgets to mention that its 3 slots for ram only accepts 512megs and not 1,5megs ung!
Its stable tho, No dramas.

Not sure about any newer Asus boards.

my gigabyte on my 300 mhz is a BX and its sooo stable.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 19:39
the first Asus board i ever had... under WinME and Win95 had a habit of randomly accessing 100% of the Processor, which you can imagine what it did to the speed.

after 5-10mins of using it would just because completely unusable. Asus told me i had a duff processor, but i got a new SiS board and low and behold, no problems speed wise ... it has a 6326 builtin thou, so you can imagine the problem i did have with it

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:18:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:18:54