Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Newton - objects dropping through the floor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 08:51
I have a .dbo file for my terrain, collision tree is created and a Newton Body created from the tree. The terrain is about 7,000 polygons.

Now I add half a dozen boxes, in mid-air. Box collisions made, Newton bodies created, attached to DB objects, blah de blah.

When I start the simulation, sometimes the boxes drop and bounce a bit, other times they fall through the floor. I can even get them to fall down as a column, topple and then fall through the floor.

I can "stabilise" the system by decreasing the mass of the boxes, but surely there should be no need to do this?

I've also got the magic debug running to ensure the Newton bodies are made, and in sync with the DB objects.

BatVink
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 13:04
Thats wierd, usually that happens when an object is moving too fast to collide with anything and it passes right through, but more advanced collision systems have ways of counteracting this. Do the objects fall slowly or quickly, and which version of NB do you have?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 20:34 Edited at: 12th Feb 2005 20:34
I'm using DB Pro 5.7, Newton 1.31 with Walaber's wrapper, and Gile[s] to export the dbo file.

The Newton rigid bodies are BOXes, falling on to a body created by a collision tree.

I've moved the boxes around the teraain, and they fall through everywhere.

The image shows the boxes about to fall on the terrain, with the debug object displayed. 2 or 3 will fall through, the rest will do what they are supposed to.

BatVink

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 19:30
I seem to have fixed the problem, I think it was a scale thing.

The boxes had a size of 1.0, so maybe Ionstream's comment was along the right lines. Once I scale everything by 10, the exact same test works fine.

BatVink

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 03:53:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 03:53:09