Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / PENTAGO - 3d puzzle/logic full game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 09:49 Edited at: 25th Feb 2005 07:54
URL: http://alexrivaz.altervista.org/MyFreeware.html

A little 3d puzzle/logic full game similar to a Rubik's cube with pentagonal rotations! Are you smart enough to complete all 20 levels?
Awaiting comments
(Edit) Wow! Pentago in #26 newsletter! What a honour!

AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 16:55
huuuuu.. over 40 downloads and still no comments here
Even if you think it's bad I'd like to know!

please feedback!
KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 01:04 Edited at: 18th Apr 2005 01:06
That's harsh that no-one has replied! Especially after being featured in the newsletter. Well I shall!

I did like the look of the wierd shapey Pentago things. I thought the shading (is that right) looked good and worked well. The animated menu backing was a nice touch as well. I didn't like the appearance of the text, and the instructions were something of an eyesaw (however extremely necessary they were ). Plus I know it was necessary to make the different "legs" contrast, it appeared a little over kill; and just made it to look kinda odd. Plus I wasn't too keen on the "pentago" sign in the middle. The colourings made it look surreal, but the sign made it look like an emulation real toy/game thing. The theme should have been set. (Sorry...this is probably overkill.)
As a game I love that it's an innovative puzzle game. Fantastic, we need more! The instructions were well written, but that's really as far as helpfulness goes in the game mechanic. It was hard. Maybe I'm just bad at "looking at future moves), but the clockwise/anticlockwise arrow that went in the middle of the two didn't really help at all.
For a first time playing it was pretty harsh to jump into. Maybe an interactive tutorial, or even just a hints mode, or a better indicator of the movement of the Pentagos.
Plus during the game it was a little too static to me. There was no music, and nothing really of interest whilst playing. This is probably done on purpose so the person doesn't get distracted....but it's nice to be distraced everynow and then if what you're doing is very difficult (and not work related of course. )
The sounds that were there I liked (and appreciated in the otherwise deadening silence).
My game seemed to crash whenever I pressed space after the level. I heard the "randomizing" sound effect. As if I'd gone on....but I had to crash out for anything to happen.

There you go....probably too much opinion on something you don't care about any more.
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 02:40 Edited at: 18th Apr 2005 02:40
Nice game...

You'd better make this more difficult though

(see attached screenshots, view button ---> )

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 04:32
Thanks guys! Comments, at last!

@KamaKase: you're right about absence of music and lack of effects or "special stuff" things. This game is mostly based on a logical approach and I wanted to give it a surrealistic style.

@Emperor Baal: level 20 in only 4 rotations!?! Try again, because the game makes 20 almost-random rotations to prepare level 20 and it may happen that the pentagos rotate back on their path sometimes simplifying the play!
Anyway, congrats!
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 12:11
I liked the concept but I have a few suggestions.

1)I scoring system would be nice

2)My find on the limited solution set
I read the instructions briefly and believe that the idea is to solve the puzzle in N moves whereby N is equal to the level. If I am correct on this notion, I found your game more challenging; at least thought provoking on levels where N<12 or so. After that I found I was able to solve the puzzle with N rotations (again N being == to the level #) by a simple pattern without any actual thought.

for instance...
I choose one pentagon (for instance say the bottom right)
and I go around to the other 4 looking for a match. If, it doesn't work I rotate the staring one and then again rotate the other 4 until
I have a solution. I haven't bothered solving the permutations and combinations, but just by observation most levels were solved in under 10 rotations. Perhaps I was in a consistantly lucky state.

In other words, It is too simple to solve the puzzle with no thought that I found it hard to even try actually thinking about solving each level in the least amount of moves possible.

3)perhaps a countdown timer is in order. In which when it reaches 0 the pentago's automatically randomize.

4)Perhaps try different level layouts. Or add other surprises for instance you could have the colors on certain pentago's rotate every so often. (I don't mean that the actual pentago rotates but just's it's colors cycle), this would mean that the player may have to wait for a certain color cycle rotation to have a solvable puzzle.

5)I haven't tried working out other strategies of play but I'm sure with some imagination you can offer multiple level solutions. For instance perhaps the outer arms can be alligned to border colors for a variation on connecting the inner arms. ect Introduce a something like an upgrade where the player has a small amount of time to rotate only one pentago without affecting others.

6)Change up the rotation scheme. In other words possibly turning one pentago causes the pentago diagonally accross to rotate instead of just the one next to it

These are just a couple ideas. Hope they help.

Btw, I did enjoy the game. And with some more effects, and strategic level building, this very well could prove to be a very addictive puzzle game. Keep working on it!

~zen

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2005 01:16
You could add a "Flip pentago" feature, in which you can flip the order of the colors. This can make it a lot more difficult. Also, maybe you could add a pentago in the middle where all 5 colors must match.

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2005 03:04 Edited at: 19th Apr 2005 03:04
nice game

check this.. Am i good ?

changed my old name "jopie dopie" to my real name

Attachments

AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2005 12:13
Thanks zenassem for the intelligent and detailed feedback!
You got the concept, my main idea was to have the player choose his own way to solve the game, by a strategical way (your choice) or by a permutation/logical approach.
Now I'm working on another project, but if I'll make a better version of Pentago surely many of your ideas will go into it. (And the two suggests from Emperor Baal and the ones from KamaKase, too).
Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 02:01 Edited at: 20th Apr 2005 02:02
Yay I won, very nice game but i think the instructions page could do with a bit of work also what makes each level harder then the last?

The happenings of tommorow are behind us now

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:44:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:44:55