Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Character/Entity information request

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a few questions strewn through out a couple threads so I thought I would out right ask them here, these should be helpful for anybody who is trying to develope added content for their FPSC game.

1. What is the average poly count for the human models provided with FPSC?

2. What sort of bone/skeleton limit are there on characters? Would an ideal character have 16, 24, etc bones? And what if somebody had a very complex skeleton, like 100 bones, would this degrade performance severly or would it hardly be noticeable.

3. Also when rigging, how do you designate the head, body, arms(L/R) and legs(L/R)? Does each of these have a frame limit?

I suppose I have asked enough for now, don't want to be too nosey.
eek
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure...dunno how to find out either. Sorry.

Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
1. = I think it is about 1000 polys.

2. = dunno might get tricky with so meny bones. But
i can't even imagine a Character with that meny bones when
it's only about 1000 polys..

3. = I don't think they have an indevidual frame limit. you just
specify your animation frames in the FPE file after you made the model.
Simon
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Polycount for characters is between 1500 and 2000 for an average human guy - we plan to implement LOD's in Version 1 (models are done), 50% and 25% of the highest LOD.
HUD Weapons vary from 300 to 3000 for the Commando For instance.

I can't say how bones will affect perfomance, all our skeletons have the same number, all I can suggest is try it and see. Note that the models are of the mesh deform variety and not hierarchial, so the bones are never visible. We use the DirectX9 version of X files for this.
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Simon..

do you have a tutorial or something for us to create characters for FPSC.

what was the process... im new to directx modelling, and there has been talk of you compressing the model file, how can we uncompress etc...

would be great to use your work as a basis to getting started.. if that was possible..

any help appreciated.

maxd
PudBawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2005 04:06 Edited at: 27th Feb 2005 04:25
@Simon: Thank you for the answers Simon, I think you guys do good work and I am going to TRY to do so as well by following your example. As soon as I have the texture map finished for it I am going to be releasing another "character", kind of like an ED209(from Robocop) walker thing, as an experiment to see how a very complicated skeleton with lots of bones will affect performance. Keep an eye out if you would like to see how the FPSC system does with this crazy skeleton rig.

@Maxd: I have downloaded the demo of FPSC, their .x files for the characters are indeed small, smaller than my file converter has managed to make them, but I was still able to convert them to a format my 3D app supported and look at them. I used the MeshView utility included with the DirectX SDK and Deep Exploration to do this, but it seems like one of the free apps out there must be able to open a .x file.

@Simon (again): I am also curious as to what you used to get the .x file for your character so small. You had over 1000 frames of animation and your file size was half that of mine which didn't even have 500 frames.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:12:33
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:12:33