Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Game Programming Contest!!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
in the new db newsletter, it says its gonna anounce a contest.

classic game programming contest.

wonder what the prize will be?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 17:30
a date with Lee
(hehee)

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 19:46
I hadn't realised you were that way inclined Raven. Looks like Randy & Rose will be the only entrants then.

Seriously though, the prize will probably be a copy of Cartography Shop or Infinity Textures.

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 20:13
I should enter, I've never entered a compo but I don't really stand a chance, plus I don't know what game I'd remake... I'm to young to remember most of the classics!

denki
Kousen DPB RPG latest - Working on editors!
http://dblow.co.uk
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 22:00
I would remake Thrust, a BBC micro-computer 32K game I played when I was about 8 or something.

No, it's not an adult game (of course one could change that in the remake), but a semi-space shooter.

You flew above the ground and you had 3 minutes to collect a power orb from somewhere on the map (it was scrolling 2D, if you went far enough you came back to the start) - a little round circle, pick it up and get out of the level. The good part was, the orb hung on a sort-of rope behind you and it was heavy so it would make moving quite difficult (because of the way it pushed and pulled you like a caravan on a car).

It was damn unforgiving too, once I was on level 15, I was just reaching the exit, I realised I was going to reverse, so I stopped but the orb swung straight over my ship and plunged me down into the depths.

The game was composed entirely of two colours, green and orange, and it took 5 minutes to load up off a tape.

Sigh... anyway enough of the old times... does anyone know roughly when this competition will be.

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 22:20
I already have hald finished almost identiacal conversions of Bubble Bobble, Galaga, Mortal Kombat 1 as well as the inevitable Space Invaders and Pacman... or are they after new 3d improvements? I could think about remaking Sonic 2 - that would be a project!

AsriCE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2003 04:18
I'd only enter if they put DBP as the prize. I wonder if we're suppose to program in DB(normal or enhanced) or DBPro(demo).

- Asri Crew

Anak Brunei!
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 00:29
Either both or judt dbpro ,as they are looking to promte it

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 14:11:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 14:11:51