Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How To Question: Using a Mesh in .X Format

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 01:00
OK, so I have a mesh that is in .X format. I also have the texture file associated with it in BMP format. How do I get that into FPSC?

Thanks.

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 01:02 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2005 01:04
Please do a search. This exact question has been answered many times (also change the BMP to TGA)

I even wrote a tutorial on how to add your own objects (segments, entities, etc) in the models section.

-This...is my boomstick!
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 01:06
<---- bites tongue...hard.

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 01:10
Yeah, read this one:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=49570&b=21

-This...is my boomstick!
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 01:22
Can't bite tongue any longer...

1. The search function only looks at the topic titles, not the text. I just spent over 10 minutes following your advice. I tried who knows how many phrase/keyword combinations and came up with nothing. There goes 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

2. The 'tutorial' you spoke of is in fact buried in a thread entitled 'tutorial'. Not easy to find and not very specific...unless I'm missing something.

3. Ah, forget it. It's not worth it.

Anyway, thank you for posting the forum link to the info I needed.

SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 02:24
Next problem...

OK, I was able to, between cellbloc's tut and the manual, get my mesh with texture into FPSC. Two issue I now have:

1. Scale. The size of the mesh is tiny when I add it to my level. How do I change the scale? I looked in the FPE file and can't see anything there.

2. Since there is no "FPSC-Entities.exe" tool in the EA, how do we take a snapshot of the mesh for entity libray?

Thanks for the help.

LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 02:34
The scale I haven't figured out yet, but for the snapshot, this is what I am doing:

In Photoshop...resize the .tga file to 32 x 32 pixels, rotate the new image 45 degrees...create a new layer at 64 X 64 pixels filled with white...merge the linked layers, and save it as a .bmp. Works well and looks good in the library. Maybe there is an better way but this works great and is easy enough to do.

Sorry I can't help with the scale issue, I am interested in the answer to that one as well.

It's easy not to get lost when you have no idea where you are going
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 02:36
Thanks, LostSoul. Do you put the new BMP file in the same folder as the rest of the mesh pieces? And if so, does putting there automatically generate the thumbnail image in the library?

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 03:02
One of the reasons I didn't create a PDF of the scale issues and how to import is because I don't want to spend all this time on it if they are going to release the Segment Editor.

I may just create a click by click tutorial for people until they release the editor.

The other problem with scale is that there are SO many different modelers out there that it would be very hard to give a scale for each modeler. I only use Max so that is all I can give it to you.

Yes, the "images" that you see on the Entity and Segment tabs are basically 64 x 64 BMP's. Really easy to make a screen shot (which is what they do). I personally don't spend the time making them, I just have lots of "brain in a jar" icons, which is the default.

I have written/working on 2 additional packs for FPSCreator (Dark Age Fantasy and Additional Sci-Fi) that I may release later, so I have been all over creating entities and segments so let me know if you need any help understanding them and I will see what I can do.

The other suggestion I have is load up a segment or a character into your modeler and use your ruler tool to get the size.

As for the "Search" feature, I hate it too, BUT I did a search for "Import" and it came back with 7 results. Maybe the search wasn't working correctly when you tried.

Hope this helps some.

-This...is my boomstick!
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 03:41
Cellbloc,

So, if I understand you correctly, the actual scale of the object is set inside the modeller and cannot be adjust inside FPSC via the FPE script or anywhere else?

LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 04:19
I put mine in texturebank\user, but I think you put them anywhere as long as the .fps file is pointing to the texture

It's easy not to get lost when you have no idea where you are going
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 04:50
@FPS Creators:

Partly. That is how I do it BUT I believe there is a "scale" method/property that you can set in the scripts. I would have to look through the manual to find it again.

-This...is my boomstick!
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 05:12
OK, I'll see if I can find it.

I'm trying to use Bryce 5 to create and export some things. It does export in .x, and I can set the polygon count and I have a few size choices, but when I changed the size it didn't seem to matter once I got it into FPSC.

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 05:21
Post the script you are using to load the object.

-This...is my boomstick!
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 05:36
Here is the .FPE

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 05:48
There are indeed FPSC script commands to allow scaling of your object. However remember that when you adjust the scale in your script - you may have to delete the entities .DBO and .Bin files as otherwsise changes to your object sometimes do not show up in the editor and test level. You may get an update just by closing FPS programe, retsart and reload the scene but the other method is a sure method.

Again in deleting any files - never delete the original default files - always use backup files/copies.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 14:28:07
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 14:28:07