Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / What Tutorials would you like to see

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 18:55
Could peeps post in this thread what areas of using FPSC you would like to see a tutorial on. Maybe something that you are finding difficult to do or areas you would like to try something but do not know how.

Cheers,

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 19:15
There is really not many tutorials on the fpi script.
I would REALLY like to see tutorials on it(The fpi script)

looking for Royalty free 3D objects?
then Check PanzerGames at this link : http://www.freewebs.com/panzergames
glyvin101
Years of Service
User Offline
i would like a good tutorial on trigger zones and how to use them
FernandoK
Years of Service
User Offline
Scripting would be my number one.
Opus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 21:53 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2005 21:55
jasuk70, I don't know what you have already come up with but from my reading of other threads it seems to be scripting issues in general and some specific things like importing models and getting them properly scaled, using textures, that sort of thing.

[Edit]: Just a thought, but you and Zone Chicken might compare notes on this subject, because ZC also seems to be producing something like tutorials now in certain threads. If you two could coordinate that might be awesome.

Eternal student in search of knowledge. But will settle for the occasional epiphany.
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 08:53
Jasuk70 I really need your help on how to set a key to open a locked door. I don't understand how to do that. Maybe you can help.

Thanks a lot

MaddA
jcleaver
Years of Service
User Offline
MaddA - that one is easier than it seems.

1. Use a door from Segments-Scenery that says Key beside/under it.
2. Add a Key to the world.
3. Right-Click on the Key in Entities mode and make sure that the box that says 'if used' is the name of the door you created earlier.

That's it.
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 11:44
Wow. That's easier than I thought. Thanks jcleaver.
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 21:55
Jasuk,

Tutorials would be great. Personally, I would find the following to be most beneficial:

1. Scripting (Explaination & Translation)
2. Scripting (Melee For AI)
3. Scripting (Melee For Player)
4. Importing & Using Original Models (Weapon)
5. Importing & Using Original Models (Entity)
6. Importing & Using Original Models (Segments)

This is just a wish list. Anything would be a huge help to me, and to the entire community in general. Your offer is a very generous one!

Thanks,

Seth Black

"...I'm sorry, could you repeat your question a little louder? I'm a trifle deaf in this ear."

- Willie Wonka
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 23:01
Hi,
I have plans for some video tutorials i.e. talking through doing stuff and showing you the same time within the editor/testing the game. And I'd like to get a list of what people would prefer to see first and generate a plan to work out an order to create them.

Currently I've seen that most people are interested in scripting and using within their games to create effects etc. Trigger zones has been mentioned. And some basic uses of entities within FPSC and how things link together.

Cheers,

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 23:50 Edited at: 5th Mar 2005 23:52
@Seth Black:

The Importing and using your own Entities and Segments (I guess it's also with Weapons too) is already on the forums:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=49738&b=21

@JAS
I will send you what I have written up for Scripting Tutorials here shortly. Just basic stuff like Auto Cannon Turrets, Better AI (Hunter/Hunter Killer/Afraid/Strong, etc), Keys, Dropped Items, etc.

-This...is my boomstick!
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 01:18 Edited at: 6th Mar 2005 02:59
I'd like to see some tutorials for the following:

1. How to apply custom textures to segment pieces.
2. A good, complete tutorial on general lighting. Not just how to place and operate, but also including some lighting principal stuff.
3. A complete 'basics' tutorial that covers each tool targeting the 3D/Game making noobie. I'm talking a video tutorial where each tool is disected and discussed.
4. I know the importing models has been "covered" on the boards in a couple of places, but it would be nice to have a complete video tutorial with a step-by-step visual+audio+text map...again targeting the 3D/Game Making noobies.

As a side note, jasuk, I sent you an email. If you have a second, please respond. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 02:35
The #1 tutorial id like to see is how to import your won models

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 03:30 Edited at: 6th Mar 2005 03:39
@FPS Creators:

I'm a little confused on your choice of words:

Quote: "3. A complete 'basics' tutorial that covers each tool targeting the 3D/Game making noobie. I'm talking a video tutorial where each tool is disected and discussed."

Are you talking using the FPSCreator program? If so, what tools are you referring to? The only "tool" that I know (that you have) is the "Game Level Editor".

If not, please explain.

Thanks!

-This...is my boomstick!
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 03:32
@FPS Creators, I'll repeat what I told you in another thread when you asked the same question... "...Anyone feel free to upload any of my stuff that I post to this forum to your sites..."

Jas

----
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 03:42
@jasuk70, ok, thanks.

@Cellbloc, yes, I'm talking about FPSC. I probably didn't explain myself well enough. My thoughts on a 'basics' tutorial was the manual+ in a video(s) format. Something that breaks it down step-by-step.

Here's an example of a topic covered: The Standard Toolbar. Then, cover the function of each tool in the toolbar.

With a 'basics' tutorial in video (Flash, QT) format that was broken down into small segments, then a person could click on a specific area they need help with and access that info quickly and visually.

Does that make more sense?

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 04:45 Edited at: 6th Mar 2005 05:00
@FPS Creators:

Yeap! A lot more sence. I was beginning to wonder if you wanted a video of ALL the tools that you could use to work with FPSCreator (which is somewhere in the 100's if not 1000's).

I'm not big on Videos *BUT* I do understand some people work better not only reading the material but also following along visually along with having sound (That's why Teachers "Teach" their class with their voice (Sound) and demonstrate with the whiteboards (Visual)). Do so is much better than telling the students to "Just read the book". I personally am just better reading the book, if I have questions research as much as I can, so I don't fall into that "I need instant gratification" syndrom, where I am able to locate answers all by myself. If I cannot find the answers after doing all my research, then ask the question. I have also learned that when a students hand goes up to ask a question, their brain seems to turn off (Sync Mode), for all they are thinking about is asking that question, and during that time, you could still be talking *AND* answer their question, but because their mind is set on asking the question (Should be set to ASync Mode), they don't hear the answer. Also by doing your own research, you retain more of the information insted of having the answer handed to you.

One of my concern would be the sizes of these things. If, going with the example you provided, using the Standard Toolbar. I could easily see that having a size of 50+ megs.

Of course, you would only download the tutorials you are insterested in, but I currently would shy away from the video ONLY until the actual V1 release of the FPSCreator program. You never know, TGC may get REALLY drunk and change the entire layout of the Application (realizing that it would be easier to use a Explorer type system, having hot dockable toolbars, etc as an example) and add a few more tabs to the bottom.

At least, that is why I haven't written a PDF and just used the Forums to write my tutorials.

So, to summarize your thoughts about the video, great idea, just don't know if FPSCreator is in a state to say "yes, go ahead, we are not making any changes to it except for code-behind".

That also may be something good to do when they actually send out the V1 edition. You can purchase a "CD Help" with hours of Tutorials and whatnots. I would have no problems making some on them.

-This...is my boomstick!
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2005 10:20
Cellbloc,

I think your point about EA vs V1 is a valid one when we're talking about my 'basics' tutorial idea/request. It's probably best to wait until after V1 for that. By that time, I won't need to request a 'basics' tutorial, I'll be putting one together myself.

Thanks.

FernandoK
Years of Service
User Offline
How about a tutorial on using FX's?
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2005 11:21
@ Cellbloc:

Greetings. There is a huge difference between getting a cube and an animated character to appear and function within FPSC. The link you referenced doesn't shed light on the latter. Thank you for the help, though.

Weapons (Guns) are a huge mystery. Cannabilizing existing models and scripts is fine, but trying to bring a brand new and unique model / weapon is quite a challenge flying blind.

I appreciate the attention to my posting. Any tutorials that Jasuk could offer would be a huge help.

Thanks,

Seth Black

"...I'm sorry, could you repeat your question a little louder? I'm a trifle deaf in this ear."

- Willie Wonka
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2005 23:30
@FPS Creators:

Not a problem. It's just the "video" thing I was concerned with. A write up would be fine.

@Seth Black:

Weapons are not that bad, *BUT* I do see where people can get confused. I will see what I can whip up on the matter.

-This...is my boomstick!
Logan 5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 11:00
Whoever creates tutorials, would you mind also posting them to the FPSCreators site?

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 04:10
@Logan5:

No. At this moment, please do not reproduce my tutorials on any other website except for TGC. This will change once V1 comes out as well as I reconstruct them in a PDF format and finalize them.

The problem is that if I make a modification on one of the post, I don't want to get a ton of email saying "On such and such site, you said blah and blah, but it didn't work." *BUT* I had already updated it in the forum.

Hope you understand.

-This...is my boomstick!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 13:25:04
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 13:25:04