Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Could Lee or someone help with invisibility?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 07:45 Edited at: 6th Mar 2005 08:07
I was making a fps game and decided that ,to get the desired effect, I would have to find a way to make a tottaly tranparent "segment" that you could see through but still walk on. I had a post similar to this earlier but this is more complicated now and might require Lee. I went and got the DDS plugin for photoshop, as said on another post, and copied one of the segments into a new area were I could work without disturbing the original. I edited so it was all transparent/blank (checkered boxes in photoshop) and saved as new files. I then changed the fps file so that it pointed to my new textures and saved. I then opened FPSC and made the new segment which is white looking.(as in attached picture) My intent, as you might see, was to find out if it could be transparent with other non transparent items on the screen. The result was similar to waht I wanted but there was still much too wrong. At certain points I could not see thw place that was visible when I was behind a "wall" that was invisible. It would instead show the skymap. Is this a bug or am I not doing something right? Also, Lee wherever you are, I think in version 1 you should put in ghosting the objects(just like in DB, which means I know you can do it technically because FPSC was made with DBP)or make transparent without editing the actual files, aka checkbox. All of this you can see for yourself in my game sample I uploaded at:
http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3O87YGIBI05PQ26HVRKX46F3X0

[edit] Here is an edited pic to explain more. The red arrow shows where you can't see and the green where you can for some reason.

[edit2]I have a ATI Radeon 7000 incase anyone wants to know.

1% done... [href]www.x-streamsystems.tk[/href]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 08:14 Edited at: 6th Mar 2005 08:18
Not sure from your pic exactly if you just want a transparent floor or if you want the whole building/room to be transparent -

If you cant do it any other way - no matter you can do it like this.

Use .x file models for your transparent walls or floor. I see no reason why you cannot copy an original rooms .x files, copy them to a new folder, rename them. (Personally I have made new model .x files and have them transparent successfully). You may need to place them as world entities as I have done if you cant get them to show transparency as segments.

In Photoshop or your favourite Paint prog (as long as it supports alpha and DDS) open your model texture files (dont overite any originals) Add an alpha channel - 100% black if you want 100% invisibility. Also I guess you would make all the CMYK channels 100% black also or you wont have a completely invisible object but a percentage of any graduated continuous tone image the texure uses. Save as DDS with explicit alpha channel.

Apply your new texture (Black) to your .x file objects in your script - place your wall or floor entity and walla - your object should invisible.

Hope that helps

White Mail Revived
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll try that.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 08:27
I am using .x file model entities to make glass so know it works with me - of course my glass is only semi transparent as I dont have a 100% black set of colour channels.

Certainly .x file models placed as entities using DDS with alpha channel show as transparent in level as I am doing it.

If you look for a default script for segment window glass then you can use a copy of that script and see how the transparency is assigned in the script. Thats what I did and amended my copy script accordingly to apply to my new glass entity.

Dont forget to make sure that your script says that your new object is to be indestructable (setting strength = 0) unless you want to break your invisible floor/wall by walking or shooting it - a useful idea some potential there
White Mail Revived
Years of Service
User Offline
Didn't work. Maybe I didn't do it right, but I got a black texture on my walls instead. Also, I tried using the TGA format with empty (checkered boxes) in photoshop but it was white in the game. I opened it back up and it was white and not the "boxes" meaning it is empty. what's wrong? Was it there was no alpha or something. If you want to look at what I had, download my game from the link, get WinRAR at http://www.rarlabs.com and open my file in WinRAR. Look in the files/texturebank/scifi/walls/metal and get w_k_all_01_d22.dds and all the others ending with "d22". Maybe that will help you understand. Also, if Lee is back from "vacation", I would like him to look at this to get an "official" opinion. Also, much forum thread response is MUCH wanted. Thanks!

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 12:11 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2006 05:12
I tried this out and it works fine for me.
I uploaded the files that i used here if you want them, it is for a floor segment and a wall segment fps scripts and a texture.

http://dbgamezone.com/fpscreator/demos/TransFloorWallSegments.rar

Put the TransFloorSeg and TransWallSeg folders in your Segment folder, and the TransTex folder in your Texture folder. It works fine for me here is a example game i built out of just a maze type level with wall segments, trans wall segments, grass segments trans floor segments, i walked around for about 10 mins and didn't see the strange clipping that occured in your game.

http://dbgamezone.com/fpscreator/demos/transtester.rar

Your signature has been erased by a mod -- please resize to under 600x120...
White Mail Revived
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great! I'll try that and come tell you when I've done that. Hope it turns out!

p.s. Do i need to include you, Zone Chicken, in my "credits"?

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 00:33
Quote: "p.s. Do i need to include you, Zone Chicken, in my "credits"?"

Anything that i post in the tgc fourms, i posted for the community to use if they wish to use them, and i do not expect or need to be credited for them.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 16:34:36
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 16:34:36