Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How good is DBP?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2002 20:29
I've been waiting for DBP for a long time. But when I downloaded and tried the demos and trial, it doesn't give me that special feeling anymore. Here're some of the things that worries me:
1) Users complains of crashes
2) The demos crawls on my computer
3) The file size
4) The speed isn't as I expected.
5) Users complains of bugs

Maybe it's just my comp, which I plan to change by the end of this year. But I really want to know, is DBP THAT good? Feature and usability wise? Plus, how well does DBP and DBP's compiled progs support different comps with different specs? Are the games created mainly for HIGH-END comps(32/64MB GF3/4, 256MB Ram, PIII/IV 880-2.2GHZ)? Or any computer at all(say, 64 ram, 16mb TNT/ATI/Voodoo, PII 550)?

I really need to know what you think of it, before deciding if it's the perfect tool for me.

Thanks
Btw, my comp specs are:
TNT2 32 MB
PIII 650 MHZ
128 MB Ram

P.s. Does DBP still uses:

load object "filename.3ds",1
or
load object "filename.3ds",anytext
??
Game resurrected Imagination and Creativity.
Pikapooh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 04:41
still uses integer values
Pikapooh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 04:41
btw i cant comment on the program as i dont have it either, just a demo user like urself
joshualimm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 05:51
I would have like it more if I could name my object with texts instead of int.

My questions above could easily earn myself a hit in the head with a reply "Patches will come", but I would also want to know, exactly how MANY more patches till DBP being cleaned up from most of the big bugs.

DB alone took 8 patches before it was starting to look steady. Now DBP, a new product that I was told being created from scratch(or isn't it?) with more features......how much more patches?

cYanide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 08:22
i wouldnt bother with it mate, just take a look at the amount of problems, just shows how much dbs care about first impressions, a total mess basically. pitty.

denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 14:12
If you are happy with DBV1, just wait until DBP is more stable (a couple more patches).

But, I own it and would fully recommend it, don't use it to make old code faster, create something new (It is a NEW language after all) and you'll be fine.
It does have its bugs, but most programs do when are first released, especially something as feature-full as this
If you want the new features, get DBP. If you're ok for now, wait a patch or two...

denki
Kousen DPB RPG latest - Working on a demo to release to get some interest and team members
Wanna join? See the Team section.
joshualimm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 14:34
I'm delighted by DBP's features. In fact, everyone is. the main flaw is, the bugs. Next that I'm worried about is, compatibility issue. I'm trying not to be bias, so all I want is facts. I will eventually buy DBP, that's a sure thing. The only thing left is, when shall I buy it. I'm really tired of buying some buggy software, and have to WAIT for numerous patches that finally solve some major bugs, and behind the new features trails a long list of new bugs again.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 15:28
Here is the easy way to make DBP run great:

1. Get WindowsXP
2. Buy a GeForce 3 Ti200
3. Buy an AMD 1400+ Chip

Not to expensive but effective.

If Lee slapped his wrist once for every bug in DBP he would be in hospital with both arms missing by now.

what is a signature?
joshualimm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2002 15:13
DBP runs poorly on my WinXP.

If I recreate Tomb Raider III (Which runs on my other PII 400MHZ) with DBP, what will the min specs to run it(DBP cloned version)?

xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2002 21:35
You might be able to get a game like Tomb Raider to run fairly well with a PII400 in DBPro but it all depends on how much you have going on and how well it's coded. At the very least I would take a wild guess at a PIII800 giving an equal performance considering Tomb Raider is profesionaly made game. It's hard to say though.
Dazzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 00:01
very good but hampered at the moment! give it a month and it will should be exceptional.

Dazzy
travbrad
Years of Service
User Offline
You know by the time anyone finishes a FULL game with DBPRO those "High-End" computers will be the "Low-end"

TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
What new capabilities does DBP have compared to DB? Should a newbie such if myself start out with DBP or DB? Why is DBP better than DB?

Seph
Years of Service
User Offline
I sorta want DBPro for the sprite capabilities everyone keeps muttering about.

joshualimm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 11:15
High end or low end, I prefer to keep anything I create playable by a computer which is around PII 500, 64 MB Ram and a 16 MB 3D Card(Ati, TNT...). At the moment, I find it rather hard to achieve with DBP or DB. But still, I'm tuning in until the end of this year before making up my mind.

TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
what is better...C++ or DB-DBP? I think DB can do ANYTHING (can it print on paper?) with just using simple commands...you can use sinmple to make complex...but which is better?!

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 23:53
C++ is harder to use (and may run quicker than DBPro), and it also allows almost total control over a machine.

DBPro wont without external DLL's

Yes, I really am THAT good...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:36:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:36:34