Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Sound scripting questions?!?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 04:47
I have tried everything I can think of to get this to work, and now I ask you all for some help

In my game I have a couple of crates that are on fire...I am using the medium fire decal, with a dynamic light using a custom script that flashes between red and orange. I made one of the crates a dynamic entity, and want a fire sound to play near the fire/crates.

This is what I have tried so far...using the repeatsound.fpi, you can hear the fire sound througout the entire level...using a Sound Zone, the sound plays one and not again...using a Sound Zone with a custom loopsound.fpi, play the sound throught the level...I tried the soundscale command, making it quieter so it's not heard throught the level, That makes it too quiet right next to it

Can you make a Sound Zone that plays a sound when in the zone, but stops after you leave it, and restarts again when you return? Or can you make a sound more 3D positioned so it's not heard all over the level?

Any help would be much appreciated

It's easy not to get lost when you have no idea where you are going
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 05:02 Edited at: 8th Mar 2005 05:27
Yeap. Let me eat first.

[EDIT]
What is happening is that the Sound Zone is on a one state trigger. Meaning, once the trigger is used, it turns itself off.

Now, like the Hurt Zone, in which each time you walk into it, it always does Damange, we need the sound zone to act like this.

I'm still eating (having to stop, run to Caja and check receipts every 5 min, so my meal cold, have to reheat.....) but in the meantime, take a look at how Hurt Zones work (which is what I am going to do once I woof down this pollo).

-This...is my boomstick!
LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 05:12 Edited at: 8th Mar 2005 05:30
Have a good meal. I'll wait

[Edit]

I'll be at work for about 2 hours yet, but I will look at it when I get home. Any additional pointers or advice would be great.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction so far

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 05:32 Edited at: 8th Mar 2005 05:47
Wait.

Aren't we going about this the wrong way? Why don't you attach the sound to the Crate entities?

Yeah, on page 36 of the Manual, I found "repeatsound.fpi". Try using that on the Main of the Create Entity. That would work. Else, let me finish eating...

[EDIT]
Yes, load up the "Scifi-1.fpm" (your gotta love the Manual and Examples provided) and take a look at the Generators when you go through the first "vent" You will see that they set the "AI Scipts: Init: repeatsound.fpi" which is what your are looking for. Also note to change the "Sound0" to be the sound of your fire.

Hope this helps!

P.S.
I also just thought about this, the WWII example has a fireplace... try taking a look at that entity also.

-This...is my boomstick!
LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 05:41
I did that with a repeatsound.fpi, loopsound=x.wav, and used the soundscale command all with less that spectacular results. I used all scripts with the one dynamic crate.

repeatsound can be heard three levels away, same thing with loopsound

soundscale=X can be used, but it has to so low that you can't hear it when you are supposed to.

I think it has to be a Sound Zone, I don't want the fire sound to heard in every room.

Do you have a better way?

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 05:47
Check my edit above.

-This...is my boomstick!
LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 06:07 Edited at: 8th Mar 2005 06:14
I start my level four rooms, four large rooms from the fire and it's sound. I can hear the sound like it's right there in the beginning. Everyone I have shown the game to, looks around for the fire. I have to tell them that it's coming up later. I will look at those examples when I get home, but been there done that.

I have read the manual so many times, since that is the stock reply, no help there. Soundscale=X isn't even in the manual, I guessed on that one. Must be how I use the script or my media, I guess

Thanks for your help, sorry to bug you while you were eating.

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 06:22
Sorry that I wasn't much help.

If you don't mind, send me your script file (basically your game level with the fire). Please don't upload the EXE for I am on a dialup and I don't have 8 hours to download a full game.

-This...is my boomstick!
LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 06:36 Edited at: 8th Mar 2005 11:02
I have an early revision with just three rooms that has the same fire/script setup. I will send you that so you can take a look at it.
It's just really frustrating, it's works...just not correctly

[Edit]

Well...I loaded up the scifi example, I get no sound from the generator, even when I use my fire sound. So in the example it plays nothing, and in my game it won't shut up, using the same exact script. I'm ready to give up with this program for awhile

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 16:35
@lostsoul54, Did you make the fire sound mono? A sound has to be mono to work as a 3d sound.

loopsound={mono soundfile}

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2005 01:07
Yeah, It's a 8-bit mono PCM wave file. Should it be another format? I had to use {soundscale=4} so you don't hear it anywhere else, but you also can barely hear it right next to it

FernandoK
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm having the same problem. Once you use "loopsound" there seems to be no way to turn it off.
LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2005 11:49
I got it

See my post in the scripting forum if interested in my findings

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 15:12:06
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 15:12:06