Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Post Questions About Segment Editor Here

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 09:06
Hello All:

Lee was nice enough to release the segment editor. Deal is, your not allowed to talk to him about it AT ALL.

Quote: "Hi Guys,

No NDA required. Here is the Segment Editor ripped from my hard drive:

http://files.thegamecreators.com/fpscreator/FPSCUndegroundTools090305.zip

Remember no support, no come back, whatever you do, how far you go, is
by your will alone. Enjoy!

You are welcome to share your experiences with this tool between you,
and tell anyone about this link

Best Regards,
Lee."

So I figure post your questions about it here please.

-This...is my boomstick!
jcleaver
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, when someone figures out where it should be installed, please let me know. I get a 'Path can't be found in Line 1841' in the segment editor. Another line number in the browser.

I've copied the directory to every logical place with same result. I think it may be looking for a directory on Lee's PC, but I could be wrong.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 09:59 Edited at: 10th Mar 2005 10:01
Hehe. Put it in your FPSCreator directory:

Example:
"Crogram FilesThe Game CreatorsFPS Creator"

Copy over
Files (Directory)
FPSC-Browser.exe
FPSC-Segments.exe
userdetails.ini

To the root of "C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\FPS Creator"

Say "Yes" that you want to overwrite "Files" directory

-This...is my boomstick!
jcleaver
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! That was easy enough! I was trying to leave it all in the folder it created.
Stevie
User Banned
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 10:22
Just checking out the segment tool now... It seems a very finished prorgam - i cant understand why it wasnt shipped with the fps creator?

Nice one Lee... for letting us have this - i really like the user interface on this
Stevie
User Banned
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 11:49
I added ny own textures into a folder, and for test purposes even simply duplicated one of the existing textures in the sci fi/moon folder and renamed it. When i tried to apply a new texture to one of my shapes, the texture did not show up in the browser - it was as if the tool was not reading my own textures.
Stevie
User Banned
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 12:55
My findings so far with the segment tool....

Getting textures to work is a mystery - its as though magic is at work here.....

lol

i cannot get my textures to load. Even if i duplicate a texture and put it in the same folder, it doesnt show.

I checked the build ini file and noticed that this contained all occurances of textures in fps. At first i thought this was a user list, so added my texture, but it didnt work.

Then i thought, it was a runtime list, that fps attaches all the stuff it finds onto this list. Anyway - i removed it to see what would happen - and nothing seem to change at all.

Something of interest. If i loaded the browser on its own, my texture would show...., but not from within the editor
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 14:25 Edited at: 10th Mar 2005 14:27
finally got it...

but im getting a runtime error 8003 and error in line 1737 with the segment editor and browser and the program just sits there..

any ideas..

i have them in my FPSC directory

thanks

edit.. seems sorted... didnt install languagebank properly..

im not good this time of day....
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 23:12
Actually, I used the Segment Editor for about 4 min and decided that Max was better for me. I still will play around with it thou and see what else.

-This...is my boomstick!
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
cellbloc:

Regardless of your use of Max, please feel free to answer some of our questions if you can - especially if you have the expertise and knowledge to do so.

One question I have is - have you tried to actually SAVE a finished segment. I loaded in a bunch of sci-fi parts and rotated / moved them together with zero problems (and a whole lot of patience) - but when I actually attemted to save my new segment with an obviously different name, it did not show up where I saved it. I tried saving it every way you can think of - with the extention, without the extention, pressing the SAVE button, pressing ENTER, etc. Nothing works. I looked in every folder and even did a search for any one of the segments I attemted to save - so if you know where / how / if the segment editor is actually SAVING something - let me know.

My only guess is that this tool was created for a specific server with a specific set of hard drives (say 'c' through 'h' for example) and since I do not have a 'g' drive, for example, it is not saving to the right drive because maybe the drive structures are hard wired into the program - and if that's the case, then we need the source code to UN-HARD-WIRE it. Just a guess - but a good guess in my opinion.

Mike Felker
Warfare Unlimited
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2005 00:03
A quick and dirty run at the segment editor this morning gave me a stone wall textured corrider with cobblestone floor and ceiling and works fine at this point. I saved it over to the segment folder in the common folder there and the FPS created bmp showed up in the segment selection and dropping the segment into my test area worked fine, I dropped in a prefab and eased a new segment up to it, presto, it worked.

If you make any changes to your new segment, be sure to delete that ??.Bin and ??.DBO file before doing a test run of the new segment.Same thing with the entity FPE files, delete the ??>bin for your added entity.

Uhu Berserker
Warfare Unlimited R&D
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2005 00:07
@Music Man:

I'm not so sure about that. I think that your model has to be "approved" before it can save. What approved is, I cannot say. I am about to fool around with it here in a few.

They would be a "fool" to hardcode the paths into the application. Programmers, as a rule, first thing they do is create a "cfg" file for all the settings of the application.

I mean, if Lee changed some code, and sent it to Mike to test, what happens if Mike has the program installed on the E: drive and Lee on C:?

Sorry, I don't think that is the issue.

-This...is my boomstick!
Jeffrey Morris
Years of Service
User Offline
How can I use the segment editor? I think that there are problems with the FPSC-Browser program.
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2005 12:01
like if I just want to have a strait with some textures like mabey a wood hallway how do I make it iv tride for hours and cant get one thing on the screen

Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps it is not hard coded (as you make a lot of sense), but I cannot save a darn thing. I have looked through all the config files and I cannot seem to find a save path location.

Yet, everytime I try to save anything it does not save a thing.

Anyone else have this problem?

Mike Felker
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
You can import meshes and textures pretty easily with the segment editor - although you will most likely need to create your objects in an external modeller first (as well as texture it) and then bring the new model into the segement editor.

Mike
Jeffrey Morris
Years of Service
User Offline
I loaded one of the rooms that came with FPSC into Segment Editor and I think that there are separate segments for interior and exterior. I think that the interior segments must fit inside one of the grid squares and that the exterior segments must touch the interior segments and be placed outside the grid square.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 02:09
@Music Man:

Sorry, I have yet to get it to save.....

-This...is my boomstick!
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
@Cellbloc

ive played abit with it, loading an existing segment, you can only save to the same name, i cannot get it to save with a different name.

not tried a new segment yet..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:57:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:57:02