Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Coming soon - tutorials (step by step) on how to bring in entities and more

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I will be creating tutorials on how to bring in models, graphics, etc (in plain english) - step by step - so stay tuned. In the meantime, below are some programs I will be using:
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Most people may not be able to afford 3D Max (by Kinetics), Lightwave, Maya, etc. You may want to find a really inexpensive (or free) tool that can save in .x ascii format.

One tool I use that CAN save in Ascii .x format and can import TONS of file types is MILKSHAPE 3D located here:

http://www.milkshape3d.com

It will allow you to create, convert and texture models (that can then be used as entities, segments, etc).

To edit graphics, I have found an exquisite and FREE program that has (it seems) just about every feature you could ask for. It's called the GIMP and is a carry over from the LINUX world.

Get it here:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

Now, before you go downloading it, keep in mind there are three important downloads. The first is called GTK+2.6.2 and it is the language that GIMP uses. You MUST download and SUCCESSFULLY install this program before you can proceed. If it fails or gives you a failed message, look in the following folder to delete an old copy you have:

(use MY COMPUTER or WINDOWS EXPLORER to find this path):
c:\ stands for the 'C' drive
\program files\ is the common program directory found on the 'c' drive in most cases
\common files\ is a directory located within \program files\

so the path you are looking for looks like this:

c:\program files\common files\GTK

Delete the entire GTK folder. Now install GTK+2.6.2 from the above URL.

Next install GIMP installer and finally install the HELP file.

The files downloads are about a total of 27 MB in three files - so a fast connection is a plus.

Install all of these programs and I will begin creating the tutorials. If I can find a freeware program as good as Milkshape for 3D objects and conversions I will post it here later tonight. The price of Milkshape is a pittance compared to what it can do.

By the way, Sourceforge is a pain in the butt when it comes to downloading because they do not make it clear HOW to download.

When you click the link to download gtk+2.6.2 you will see a webpage describing the three or four downloads available (CHOOSE TO DOWNLOAD THE STABLE RELEASE - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR YOUR OWN PEACE OF MIND). Click the link that says HTTP DOWNLOAD. Next you will be asked to choose a location close to you (ie. North America for me) - now here's the undocumented tricky part. To the very right is a DOWNLOAD COLUMN - and here you will find the file sizes. CLICK THE LITTLE RED AND WHITE ICON TO DOWNLOAD. You will be whipped to another screen - the download SHOULD start automatically, so have patience, as this can take a minute or so in some cases. If it does NOT start automatically, then click the link at the top of the screen that says to do so in case of the auto download not working.

I assume everyone knows how to download a file, unzip it, save it to hard disk and then run it. If I am wrong and you need a tutorial on this, feel free to ask and I will type one in as fast as I can.

After you have downloaded, unzipped and ran the setup program, gtk+2.6.2 should now be installed correctly.

Now go back a few screens and choose the GIMP for windows download and do the same as above - install it after unzipping it.

Finally, go back and grab the HELP file and download it, unzip and install.

There ya go. Let me get to work now.

Mike Felker
Opus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 22:12 Edited at: 10th Mar 2005 22:22
Thanks for the detailed information on GIMP, Mike. I was intending to install GIMP in the near future. I am saving your instructions for that time.

Opus

[Edit] For what it's worth, the following is a quote from Deadly Shadows on a free importor/exporter, and his information was confirmed by the program developer:

Quote: "Ok people got a sweet model and you want to use it in darkbasicpro?

Get deled1.1 it has 3ds importer and then guess what.....A .X EXPORTER BABY! Also you dont need pro just get the lite and wala all your problems solved. Also change your OBJ to .x files!!!!

It also has a OBJ importer and a .x importer.

Thanks would be nice though.... Heres the link.

http://www.delgine.com/

Have fun!
"

Eternal student in search of knowledge. But will settle for the occasional epiphany.
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
I appreciate the heads up on DeleD - which I downloaded and tried to use a while ago (about a month ago) and found it to be a bit difficult. Also, it is more of a level editor and less of a converter whereas Milkshape, while not free, is the least expensive solution for 3D modelling and conversions I have yet to find.

Mike Felker
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 23:21
Music Man,

So, you're step-by-step tutorials will have at the core MilkShape? I'm just curious becuase I want to prepare.

Does MilkShape open native .max files?

Thanks for your work on this. If you can pull it off, you may just become my new hero

Opus
Years of Service
User Offline
That's helpful information on deled per it's relative utility. Thanks.

Eternal student in search of knowledge. But will settle for the occasional epiphany.
Jeffrey Morris
Years of Service
User Offline
What about 3D Canvas?
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
FPS Creators: Yes, Milkshape imports and exports to tons of formats, among them is .3ds files which will natively import into 3D Studio Max with no problems.

Jeffery: 3D Canvas by Amabilis is good - but the FREE version is useless, as it imports almost nothing and only saves to its own format and POVRay, which does not help us. You would have to spend $50 or more to get the import / export capabilities of Milkshape (which costs $25 to register). I have tried to use 3D Canvas and it's good, but not great. Many other modellers are better. One I am looking at is called Silo, an AWESOME (and in some cases FREE) modeller, but it does not export to .x files (.3ds and .obj), so it makes an unecessary extra step which I am trying to avoid. The bang for the buck definitely goes to Milkshape so far. Although not the most easy modeller, for conversions and texturing it cannot be beat. Combine it with Ultimate Unwrap and you have some serious (and inexpensive) 3D tools to get the job done.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:57:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:57:31