Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Seperate objects within a .x object

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 14:11
The models which came with DB are all divided into lots of object within an object (i.e. with a tank the gun is a seperate object so you can rotate it within DB). I was wondering if anyone new of a program (free or cheap) that allows you to seperate a model into sub-objects and save it.(its kind out hard to explain, hope you understood) Thanks!!!
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 14:16
P.S. I make create my models in Metasequoia which doesn't export "sub-objects".
Thanks
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 16:41
try the program milkshape its $20 and has features that will help break down a mesh to be converted into keyframe limbs or seperate objects.

the feature is called a group in Milkshape.
You assign polys and vertices to groups then name them accordingly.

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

Nazgul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 18:44
well..

Best is to buy Milkshape, yes. I am a Metasequoia lover and so I made a test, (I usually don't make these kind of linked objects) .You have the Object Panel in Mqle, version which seems that you use. Work with it for this. It displays a list of objects. Typically just one. If you hit "new" you make a new object. Every face, vertex, primitive you add will be added to an object depending on which one u have highlighted on the list.

Ok, then I exported to Ultimate Unwrap (must say I have purchased this one, as well as Milkshape) as COB file (not x file). This mqle export makes it open there each object as a group. maybe easier for you as now you'd export as OBJ which Milkshape can import very well. There it detects as group, just in select mode set to select by groups. I made a very simple test with a bone with those two groups. It worked perfect. Anyway, I don't use to create bones there, even I use milkshape only as a helper tool. But you have it all there. I post this just in case you like Mqle as much as I do,(or did) for modelling.

But as you see it needs having Ultimate Unwrap also, or any other application to support cob (Truespace 1.0 given free in internet, ts3 give free by a Mag (much better), or some othe rocnverters) and export to something Milkshape can open. If you're not so in love with mqle, go buy Milkshape and stop suffering

My workflows are a bit crazy, I know.
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 18:55
Thanks, i'm downloading the demo of milkshape now!
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 19:01
I exported it to .cob from Metasequoia and converted it from .cob to .x with 3D Exploration... It worked!!!, Thanks!!!
Nazgul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 22:35
cool
Nazgul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 22:42
just one more tip...cob is the way if you wanna preserve quads (for example if making high count models for avi renders, not for games. Many Poser guys shout at you when you give them a model without quads, hehe ) instead of triangulating models. DXF (the dxf export that metasequoia gives is an interesting one) can do too, but dxf do not preserve UV info and some other stuff.

I did all the exports with x and cob.

Just a tip for any Metasequoia users around here Only dropping some additional info, I mean.
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 22:40
Just one last question - do i have to create limbs to be able to rotate a certain part of the object (i hate limbs)
Thanks!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:10:06
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:10:06