Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Creating heightmaps..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2005 09:59
What is the best way to create a heightmap for the advanced terrain plugin? I can't seem to figure out how to accomplish this in Photoshop, does anyone know how? Or any programs to create heightmaps for you?

Thanks!

AMD Athlon XP 3000+, S3 Deltachrome s8, 512 PC3200 RAM, 160 GB HD
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2005 17:45
I was looking for a program called TexGen for you, but found this on my travels through Google...

http://www.toymaker.info/html/texgen.html

BatVink
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 09:36
Yes, I know Texgen, but that doesnt create heightmaps for you. I'll look at the toymaker. Thanks!

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 18:22
I've seen my bro make nice heightmaps in Photoshop in a matter of seconds. You can make one in gray scale or red scale. Only the r values of the pixel matter. He just makes a solid black image and uses a tool to lighten areas to different lightnesses.

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2005 13:28
Check out my program Strata Works. Not only can you create heightmaps with it, but you can test them in Strata Works using the Advanced Terrain Plugin (the pretest was made using it). Creating a heightmap in Strata Works (currently) is like using Paint Shop, but creating the textures for your topography is far more natural using layer systems and masks. Currently the full version of Strata Works isn't being sold as it needs finishing, however there is a lite version with much of the benefits of the full version (just some limmitations, but there is unlimited usage and you can save your projects and export your maps just the same).

http://www.wendigosoft.com/projects.html[href]

Home of DOOP, Strata Works, and Height
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Or you can go to www.delgine.com, download DeleD, and then download the plugin for creating heightmaps. You can then export that as a .x, or just copy the heightmap.

www.war3forums.net

A.K.A Death Stalker
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2005 06:27
wow!

Wendingo, that is a very cool program!

I normally don't buy that many 3d programs other than DB.. but I am seriously considering getting this when it comes out.

By the way, in PSP, which brushes did you use to create the heightmap?

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2005 13:22
thanks .

Many of the heightmaps can easily be created in Strata Works, itself. All the brushes in Strata Works (and some of the maps) used the simple round brush. I just used multiple sizes and opacities. I tried to get Strata Works to emulate a PSP style heightmap system. The newer Strata Works, when it comes out, will utilize at the very least, new modifications to the heightmap system for added precision. As of when Strata Works will be available for purchase, it may be a bit I'm sorry to say. I'm working on it though!

Home of DOOP, Strata Works, and Height
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2005 04:52
MS3D can also do height maps and texture them ...
its not perfect though. But, it does permit previewing.

Just wondering if anyone here has played with that option much..
I still haven't done much with terrains yet.
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
I havent tried this my self yet but as per what I read on "Game Design" thread. You can use "Total Terrain" wich creates and save's as a heigt map then use Milkshape to save as .x if needed.
Total Terrain 2 http://www.robinking.com/allseeingi/totalterrain.htm

Milkshape http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

No clue how to texture the heightmap though.

x1b

- This message is made of 100% recycled bits and bytes

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:46:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:46:32