Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Apollo Forums - Likes/DisLikes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2002 03:03
Hi

Just thought it would be nice to gather up what people like and what people dont about these forums. Here is my little list, mostly nit picking but the first I really dont like.

Dislikes...
1. No way of staying logged in. Its annoying having to re-enter details everytime I close forum windows by mistake.
2. No next 25 posts button at bottom of page.
3. Limit on screen name size
4. Having to highlight text to get bold, italic to work ? Why not just put in the tags ??
5. No last post info or whos online info and even worse NO EDIT BUTTON

Likes...
1. I love the colour scheme and layout of the forums
2. Easy to use and read
3. FAST !!!
4. Rich made them
5. Great forums though, theres no errors or problems like that this end
VapourNET.com
Web Technology Experts
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2002 10:33
well you dont have to highlight the itallic and bold stuff... just type it in. i love these forums and new features are being added all the time.

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2002 13:16
Dislikes:
1. The colour scheme is bad for your eyes (darker the better; read the ergonomic stuff), and runs out laptop batteries faster. Colour options/skins would be great
2. All navigational buttons should be at the top and the bottom (or in a frame so always there). Annoying to have to scroll all the time.
3. No easy way to go back to forum after looking/replying to thread. Back button works, but then obviously doesn't refresh until you tell it, which is annoying
4. Once into a specific forum it doesn't say who posted the last post against a topic

Everything else is pretty much as mentioned above.

Still, coming along nicely.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
bug: clicking on the "formatting" buttons at the top of the reply window cause an error like this:

A runtime error has occured.
Do you wish to Debug?

Line: 39
Error: 'document.PostForm.msgBody' is not an object

also would be nice to be able to change the colors and stay logged on

how about no, ya frickin' dutch bastard!
LoKiDeCaT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2002 05:28
Ya, formatting buttons don't work for me on ie5.0 (I hate 5.5 and 6.0).

The lack of "always logged in" is kinda a biggie. (as mentioned)

Don't ask me why, the whole setup seems a tad restrictive. Mebbe i'm just not used to it.

Loki D'Cat - Modeller, Composer, Animator
Nerdsoft Creations
Machine Specs: Athlon XP1800+, ATi Radeon 8500 64mb, 1GB RAM, Windows 2000 AdvSvr
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2002 05:52
"1. No way of staying logged in. Its annoying having to re-enter details everytime I close forum windows by mistake."

The session persists for 1 hour, closing the browser window shouldn't end it as it's cookie based. However I have increased the time-out to 24 hours now. I will modify this so you can specify the timeout yourself eventually but 24 hours should help matters for now.

"2. No next 25 posts button at bottom of page."

Done

"3. Limit on screen name size"

40 characters, yes. I might consider increasing this if someone can give me a good reason why that's not enough

"4. Having to highlight text to get bold, italic to work ? Why not just put in the tags ??"

You can type in the tags if you want! Just makes it faster to highlight sometimes.

"5. No last post info or whos online info and even worse NO EDIT BUTTON"

Heh. Edit is coming, but first on my hit list is the indicator to show which threads are un-read/hot/etc. Who's online I'll do once the session timing is sorted out and yeah I need to copy across the "last post" author to the board page.

"1. The colour scheme is bad for your eyes (darker the better; read the ergonomic stuff), and runs out laptop batteries faster. Colour options/skins would be great"

It's copied from XP.. so, erm.. yeah The ability to let you choose the colour scheme is built-in, just not active. Will get around to it but it's quite low on my list to be honest.

"3. No easy way to go back to forum after looking/replying to thread. Back button works, but then obviously doesn't refresh until you tell it, which is annoying"

Use the new navigational buttons (go to top, forum list, etc).

The JavaScript issues for the mod buttons is something I'll look into soon, it's annoying. IE5.0 is such a can of worms re: bugs anyone using it really ought to consider 5.5. I'll see about NS7 and Opera.

Cheers,

Rich

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:16:17
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:16:17