Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Particles (expansion) - dodgy frame rate after pause

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2005 05:12
I have particles galore in my game. 16 emitters, 80 particles each, Physics rate of 60 FPS. It runs nicely at 45 FPS, constant.

Then the game ends. So I set the particle emissions to 0 on the emitters. This lets them fade out over the last few seconds. Then I freeze the emitters so there is no activity on them.
Now I'm back to the menu. No need to update Physics, so I don't. I start the second game of the session, unfreeze the emitters, set the rate back to 80 on each of them. In theory, I should be running at 45 FPS again. But I'm not, I'm now down to 23 FPS.

If I remove the emitters, I get a constant FPS every game, so it's definitely these that are the problem. I'm wondering if the Particle system is playing catch-up for the time it's being lying dormant.

I've used Set Physics Timer Bailout 1 to try and fix it, but it doesn't do anything. Anybosy have any ideas?

BatVink
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2005 06:08 Edited at: 5th Apr 2005 06:09
Are you talking about the "Cloth and Particles" expansion pack? If so, there are issues with it and we are to expect a new version coming out shortly (this week).

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=51471&b=15

-This...is my boomstick!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2005 08:01 Edited at: 5th Apr 2005 08:05
Yes, Cellbloc, that's the one. A bit sneaky, but I was helping Mike test some fixes, so I have the new version. Before you ask me to send it, the version I have is not compatible with U5.8 final.

I only got Cloth & Particles last Friday, so it's new to me. I wondered if I was using it incorrectly.

Since I posted, I implemented a new method, where I delete and recreate the emitters for every game. I get a slight improvement, i only drop about 8FPS now. So I obvioualy have some other "issues" to work out too.

Now that Enhancements is working, I get the FPS spoken to me using the voice commands - large!

BatVink
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2005 08:25
Nah, I will wait for the "Final" version of the Packs. The last think I want to do is clutter my system with "beta/test" files.

-This...is my boomstick!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2005 09:34
Been playing again. I can now see that Particles are only a very small part of my issue. I have ramped the refresh rate up to 80 FPS. The second game drops to 38 FPS, whether I have particles active or not.

Can't find the damn cause though! I'm thinking it must be caused by the intermediate screens - hi-scores, Game Over screen, something!

BatVink

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 04:00:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 04:00:05