Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Cloth - I want a taut banner

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2005 02:31
Any ideas on this one? I want a banner that is anchored at the corners, and doesn't move around too much.

The cloth is 10 x 1, my anchor points are spaced to be in the exact positions of the cloth corners. Gravity is 1, weight is 5. Anything lighter at the moment causes problems - it just disappears. Elasticity is 0.5, for same reasons as weight.

When I start, the damn thing acts like a trampoline, bouncing around all over the place. I've tried to Relax Cloth after setting the fixing points, but it doesn't change anything.

BatVink
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2005 03:00
When you first run your program wait till the cloth has entered a relaxed state which it will do after a short while and then save it's state using the "save cloth state" command.

Now add in a new line to your program calling "load cloth state" and pass in the filename of the saved cloth state.

Your cloth will now use the state from when it was relaxed and behave as you want right from the start.

Alternatively run a loop calling "update physics" for a period of time before entering your main loop. This will move the physics timer on by a certain amount and in doing so help to relax the state of any existing cloth and other objects.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2005 05:27
Thanks for the info Mike. I'm trying hard to resolve this without the need for a delay, or an extra file.

Been playing, as I do, and struggled to do exactly what I want. I added a damping effector, which stopped the bounce but won't give me a "banner" effect without playing with it's effect over time.

It did show something though. The problem seems to be caused initially by the fact that the starting angle is how the object was created. Is it possible to reposition it? I tried XROTATE'ing, but it didn't seem to work. Compared with the Rope bridge example, I'm at 90 degrees.

here's my current code (it will run as is), with the damping. I've attached extra points to clamp the damn thing down.

BatVink
JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2005 09:39
BatVink, what they did with the original cloth examples was to let
the physics settle down, before getting to the display section. Seemed to work pretty good.

-JerBil

Ad Astra Per Asper

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:30:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:30:37