Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / GAME INDUSTRY vs. FILM INDUSTRY vs. MUSIC INDUSTRY

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 17:00
I don't really know which industry is getting more money now! take these randomly selected examples:

Game Industry
GTA:vice city sold 1.4 million copies in 3 days and at $50 per disc, thats about $70 million!

Film Industry
"Darkness falls" beat the almight "Lord of the rings II" by accumilating a weekend gross of $12 million approx. although Lord of the rings is still number 1 at $308 million approx cumilative gross for 6 weeks for

Music Industry
choosing a random group, "backstreet boys" whent 14*platinum (platinum = 500,000 albums sold) with their first album back in 1997, at say $30 an album, that's $210 million cumilative gross!

summary
- gta:vice city gained $70 million in 3 days!
- darkness falls gained $12 million in i weekend!
- backstreet boys album gained $210 million total!

so, after looking at these figures above, over the internet and hear-say, which industry do you guys think is getting the lions share? which industry would be the most profitable if you joined?
your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 18:23
film it is stable,
music second,
games third

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 21:16
The films industry actually puts in almost as much as they get in return now - and is a fairly stable.
With exceptions of LOTR, StarWars & Harry Potter not many others make money on anything other than the films.

The same can be said about the Games industry .. althought there is alot made, against costs really there isn't much in it there after all the profits divied up and creation costs.

Music is the ONLY industry where its cheap to produce what is i used ... and although not guarenteed hits, they almost always turn over a profit on all ventures.

so i'd go with Music

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 22:24
I agree with Raven - especially when you consider all the merchandise, live gigs, tv appearances, sponsoring etc involved, along with very low production costs

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 01:01
I wouldn't go for the music industry these days.

Due to the fact that (especially) the big record companies have ignored new technologies and haven't even tried to seek new ways to distribute their products for the last couple of years, the whole industry isn't as rock steady as it was in the eighties or in the seventies. You might have noticed that the big deals are signed with big acts only since developing a new artist/band is very expensive indeed (adverising, bribery etc).

Since I'm in it, there has always been a huge, growing gap between those who actually produce, compose and perform music and those who are responsible for the financial aspects- and the latter get more and more influence. Some oldbies say that this was different until the mid-seventies.
You should keep in mind that the creative parts of the music industry need far less manpower than those of the game industry- and jobs in that sector are extremely rare.

Ogres have layers.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 01:38
i think he asked who was actually ripping us off more
ya know those who are having thier cake and eating it too...

you've just backed up what we've said. Profit isn't being earnt by anyone cept the big artists - and they're actually only getting a fraction of what the big companies are getting

Games development is cost <-> sales and you'll find what is actually giving Mr.Carmack his lovely $4.8million per year salary is selling the ID Software technologies to other companies, rather than actual games sales.

Just in the same way public appearances and concerts give celebraties more cash than the actual record sales

From what i see it will always be

Music
Movie
Games

simply because Music has the most minimal of cost yet screws you at every turn for newer and newer songs.
And really when your talking about the Music industry ignoring new media - think about it...
the newest Media is MP3 ... the quality at higher Volumes IS NOT the same as CD just as CDs are NOT the same as LPs

a CD is simple to scratch and costs almost nothing to produce... whereas a MemoryStick costs ALOT to produce and unless you get it near a DAMN strong magnet the music will remain the same as when you put it on.

But the point is the media has been ignored because of price, not only to the industry but the consumer as well.
why use such new technology which the user won't be able to afford to use?

CD's were never really mainstream until the price of the players came down ... but having said that you can still purchase tapes - because they break and warp easily as well as still being cheap ... because they're cheap to the end user and the companies make a profit per copy you see how they're screwing you there

very few artists do becomes the massive multi-millionaires with big ass mansions because its the industry taking it all.
Movies the industry pour all the money they have into the next block buster hoping it does well.
and the Games Industry is pretty much the same.

The Music on the other hand only recently has been about giving out the most stupid contracts ever to artists who shouldn't really get it. (ie Robbie Williams £80million)
all of EMI's eggs in one basket really.

But then again to the Music industry who don't live by each artist they do ... well think about its just a drop in the bucket to them.
Robbie Williams is now worth around the same as what Activision is worth!!

That's just Bonkers!

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 02:24
Quote: "
i think he asked who was actually ripping us off more
"

He asked: "which industry would be the most profitable if you joined?"

and they're actually only getting a fraction of what the big companies are getting
"

Sure, but the companies at least used to invest a lot of money in new artists.

And really when your talking about the Music industry ignoring new media - think about it...
the newest Media is MP3 ... the quality at higher Volumes IS NOT the same as CD just as CDs are NOT the same as LPs
"

MP3 was not invented nor in anyway supported by the music industry. MP3 compression can't be the same as CD as it reduces information (not hearable with higher bitrates, though).
The worldwide CD sales drop since 1999, and third party companies offer alternative distribution methods; still, the record companies set on conventional selling. That's what I mean by ingoring new technologies (eg. internet). Or they signally fail like BMG.

But the point is the media has been ignored because of price, not only to the industry but the consumer as well.
"

Ever heard of filesharing?

The Music on the other hand only recently has been about giving out the most stupid contracts ever to artists who shouldn't really get it. (ie Robbie Williams £80million)
all of EMI's eggs in one basket really.
"

Recently? In the 80's: Michael Jackson, Prince, Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones... The contracts weren`t that big but there were more competetors as well (companies and artists)
BTW: EMI/Virgin is well known for silly contracts like this.

Ogres have layers.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 03:08
yeah silly perhaps, but that seems insane to me
LPs, Tapes and CDs weren't invented by the Music Industry either, they've just been utilied.

LPs were and update on Gammerphone Discs, Tapes were used for Computers first, and to that end CDs were created for enhanced data access for what medium again - oh yeah computers

As for FileSharing, i've never heard anything so ridiculous... You want to stop the Piracy by side traking the use of a medium - with no medium costs other than that for a site to keep the tracks on they'll be making more than ever. AND THEY ALREADY USE IT!
However the Media is simply downloaded and shoved on a FileSharer suchas KaZaA where it could've been bought from immediatly anything and BOOM! Pirated again, sometimes without even realising it.

The trick for the music companies is to design a media which has not public sector ability to be copied ... And as for investing alot withing new Artists - they only signed you up if you already had soemthing they pictured as a guarenteed hit. The money was already the artists, and even after all the deva demands and stuff for keeping the artists happy and "developing" them they still have ALOT of money left over for thier own pockets.

And if you don't know that the Media used for Internet Sharing and usage is WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MP3 (Media Portable Graphic Layer-3) then really i think you should bury your head in the sand about it

even so... the music industry is STILL the place to make the most money the fastest. And its more Hollywood than, well Hollywood. As atleast there you have to actually have talent rather than just a pretty face ... Musically you have a pretty face and some sorta attitude willing to be altered for an image, BOOM! you cna have a record contract because they can sell on your pretty face and ramp up the reverbs with audio sampling to pretty up your terrible singing voice - or even have someone else sing it for you!

I still stand on what i've said, because even Minimal Artists and Actors earn more than what you will on basic pay in the Games Industry.

Hell I don't exactly earn top dollar compared to ALOT of people within the LA parts who sing and act ... i'm pretty freaking high in the actual development team status.

Where's my $1million contract?? and of course complimentary weapon so i can get arrested in a few hours

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 15:10
LPs, Tapes and CDs weren't invented by the Music Industry either, they've just been utilied.
LPs were and update on Gammerphone Discs, Tapes were used for Computers first, and to that end CDs were created for enhanced data access for what medium again - oh yeah computers
"

Shellac records were invented by Emil Berliner (1887). In WW2 the USA used vinyl for the records. The LP standards were set by RCA and Columbia (both also record companies) in 1929 (mono) and I think 1931 (stereo). Tapes were invented by Peter von Braunmuehl and Walter Weber in the 40's (and not as a computer mass storage system). 1981 Sony and Philips presented the CD (Sony is also a record company).

And as for investing alot withing new Artists - they only signed you up if you already had soemthing they pictured as a guarenteed hit.
"

This is happening now. It was quite different for example in 1995 (something I know very well).

As for FileSharing, i've never heard anything so ridiculous... You want to stop the Piracy by side traking the use of a medium - with no medium costs other than that for a site to keep the tracks on they'll be making more than ever. AND THEY ALREADY USE IT!
"

Oh yeah and so successfully and every one is trying to push their very own system.

And if you don't know that the Media used for Internet Sharing and usage is WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MP3 (Media Portable Graphic Layer-3) then really i think you should bury your head in the sand about it
"

???

I still stand on what i've said, because even Minimal Artists and Actors earn more than what you will on basic pay in the Games Industry.
"

Don't know for actors but for music artists: No, that is not the case.

Ogres have layers.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 16:47
can we keep em short please us penguins cannot read well.

only thing with music is you can be working for a great company one day then the studio's can go bankroup the next.

Putting loads of money into a one hit wonder can be a big problem.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 16:54
Yeah but theres a new reality TV show on the way from the same makers of PopStars, PopIdol and PopRivals where 1 hit wonders are given another chance to get a contract! lol I wonder if Heresay'll get a run in?

The Music industry is not as profitable as it used to be in CD sales because of the whole MP3 internet piracy thing but as I said, they make more money from the established "celebrity" behind the music, so its still strong business if you're in2 cheesey Pop or Nu Mini Metal

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 18:37
Heresay were crap!

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 18:44
does anyone have any idea how much the money the producers of the sims gained? or the producers of half-life (money wise)?

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 21:07
EA and a Sierra ...

EA made in the region of $97billion on the Sims franchise to date ... Sierra made around $120million on Half-Life
Half-Life was a single Title thought and the Sim franchise has been around for almost 14years

Maxis is what has made EA the largest Publisher in the world

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 22:42
Re Heresay: I know thats why I winked! I find it funny how the reality TV shows build em up, get a guarenteed number 1 then instantly ppl move on. heresay were "the biggest band in the industry" and 6 months later dropped by their record company. Its so mass production hype its laughable

Raven surely you mean the "Sim" franchise? I think he meant the Sims and its add on packs only - still must be a ridiculous ammount of money tho. The actual Sim franchise has had some real Gems, and also some horrid turkeys The Sims games are probably the most successful because people can relate to them, and it kinda caught the voyeur fever launched by the popularity on the net and reality TV shows at the time. Many people who play the Sims would think Sim City was boring, and Vice Versa, so to class them together, whilst accurate from a devlopment point of view is kinda unfair. It would be like ID releasing a side scrolling platform game where Bunnies shoot each other and people adding the sales to the Quake franchise

However Maxis constantly releases fresh and interesting ideas, even if not all of them worked. They deserve the success they've got - but there's only so many basic add on packs they can do for the Sims before people notice the basic flaws in the game. Why some1 hasn't released a similar but superior game is beyond me...

Half-Life was revolutionary at the time, and Counterstrike is even more popular. If Sierra had added a wa to liscence and take a cut on the mods / addons they would have made much more. Plus its one of the most pirated games I've seen! Still they are prolly very happy with $120 million - especially considering the relatively small development team

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 01:07
The game industry makes more than the movie and music combined. Bet ya didna know that
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 01:19
Actually I did know that - but its not as evenly spread as you would hope. Many people who develop or design great games don't make any money at all - Oh wait that happens in the music and film industries too! 'Doh!

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 02:12
wait! i don't understand what you meant by "the people who develop great games don't make much money"? and i never knew the game industry makes that much money! I guess it's right to say that it takes a lot more people to create a high budget movie than it does to create a great game, in terms of music (createing the albums) all you need is someone to drop the vocals, write the lyrics, compose the music and publish the album.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Games industry? Games industry!

Some of us are! Not me pehaps, but few people have sold few games sucessfuly.

Specs: Dual Amd Athlon 2Ghz(1Ghz x 2), 40GB 15000 Rpm SCSI Hard Drive, 640 Mb 266Mhz DDR, 12x8x32 CDRW, ATI Rage Fury Pro 32Mb SD Video, 17' Monitor
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 03:14
Games Industry - No
Software Industry - Yes

Software Industry includes Games, as a whole the computer software industry is worth close to $600billion per year.
Which is more than the movies and music combined

But when that all wittles down its only the larger software companies that produce this, because i mean you could look at EA making around $6billion/year however they are the HIGHEST earners for publishing the games software.

And you can't include Nintendo or Sony within this catagory which both make alot because they're biggest profit is on the hardware and licences FOR the hardware
quite interesting at how messy the industry as a whole is eh

but unlike the Movie or Music industry, you can't come in make a one hit wonder, make a million and retire.
Because quite frankly doesn't work like that...
Development houses only pay you what your worth, and Publishing houses try to get your game for as little as possible.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 08:00
who cares your not exactly movers and shakers of the industries u dribble on about.

godzilla will beat pickachu so ner.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 17:13

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 17:31
i dunno... that little lellow rodent has a pretty powerful jolt - Godzilla gets him stuck between his toes it'd be like being shocked with a cattle prod

Zilla would mess himself all over Tokyo and pikachu would scratch his eyes out
then just find a tasty area to tuck in.

OR could hunt in like a pack, like Raptors... lil yellow and red tails between the cars - the BOOM!
KFG

the point wasn't about being a mover or shaker of the industry (though i'm getting there hehee) the point was hex wanted to know really which he'd make the most getting into or something like that.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 19:54
"i don't understand what you meant by "the people who develop great games don't make much money"?"
- Most videogames make comparitively low profits because there is no guarantee of sales. Most games get adverage reviews and don't sell. Even good games aren't guarnteed sales if they don't capture the general public's imagination through large advertising budgets or expensive film/tv liscences. Even when a game does sell well, the people who make the most profit are the publishers, and the the large development teams get comparitively small, if any cut. They usually just get paid a one off small fee for their work

"And you can't include Nintendo or Sony within this catagory which both make alot because they're biggest profit is on the hardware and licences FOR the hardware"
- You're right about the liscenes, but all 3 console manufacturers sell consoles at a LOSS hoping to make it back on hardware sales.

A pack of hunting Pikachus would b terrifying lol

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 20:19
but unlike the Movie or Music industry, you can't come in make a one hit wonder, make a million and retire.
"

One Hit Wonders don't make millions. They are casted boy- / girl- / teen-groups theses days. The producer and the composer (mostly one and the same person) make the money and have usually more than one hit (with different artists, though).

Ogres have layers.
bugsquish
Years of Service
User Offline
kangeroo dont you mean they "sell consoles at a LOSS hoping to make it back on SOFTWARE sales"?

i got these figures in PC Zone, but there in so source cited so I don't know how accurate they are:

takings for 2002
Film Industry: $8.35B
Games Industry: $9.4B

what i want to know is... is coding games gonna feed my kids??
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2003 01:28
that's indirectly the same question i'm asking! any hopes of gettin rich out of coding games? which position/job in the games industry has the money flowing in a constant large amount?

bugsquish
Years of Service
User Offline
i think the idea hex is that the suits get rich of our blood and sweat while we eat rice in the alleyway
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2003 02:17
lol so, your indirectly saying that your best bet of getting rich from the game industry is to start your own (producing + publishing) company and a lot of luck!

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2003 03:32
found this site that breaks down the salary of members of the game industry:

http://www.zehnerbrainer.com/news/articles/salarysurvey.html

bugsquish
Years of Service
User Offline
no, i think were just out of luck full stop cos that markets slightly saturated looks i'm in this for love rather than money

however, that URL u posted looks pretty good for us starting out with darkbasic. programmers, modellers, animators etc get the biggest pay: max $120,000! C++ is looking more attractive by the second

i saw an industry calculator here http://www.makegames.com/royaltycalc.html that reckons everyone on the team of an average game will average at $16173 in royalties. Do these people make 2-3 games a year?
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2003 15:32
Lol yes thats exactly what I meant bugsquish sorry, no edit button

"your indirectly saying that your best bet of getting rich from the game industry is to start your own (producing + publishing) company and a lot of luck!" - Well thats what I intend to do... if I make my millions I'm sure I'll come back and tell you about it... lol

bugsquish
Years of Service
User Offline
well i tried running my own business once and just got into loads of debt... now i dont want any more responsibility than whats on my monitor! especially with the investments you'd need for that kind of venture. spend £50000 on a project that bombs and ur in trouble. at least if u have a job programming on a project that bombs u should still get a basic hourly rate right?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2003 20:40
$120,000 being the biggest pay ... lets hope that don't get back to those who pay my wages

that aside, the games industy does take in more than the movies - however unlike the movies, if you look at it we'll have say 10-12 blockbusters a years (which are really the only ones you can count because most of the other just break even) ... compaire that with the 100-150games which are retailed a year.

So you know immediately you can see the major difference...
And perhaps the producer/composer makes the most out of boy/girl/band acts which are manufactured (which they've been doing for years)
Even the least sucessful of these still get in the region of a million for what?

Turning up, singing a few songs, making a few appearances.
Not to mention you get put on the B/C list of celeraties for a year and then bumped down to like the D/E list which means you're called upon whenever someone else isn't available.

and incase anyones interesting...
C++ Software Programmer Std Rate - £45/hr -> £80/hr
C++ Games Programmer Std Rate - £35/hr -> £50/hr
VB Software Programmer Std Rate - £30/hr -> £60/hr
3D Graphics Artist Std Rate - £20/hr -> £60/hr
2D Graphics Artist Std Rate - £20/hr -> £50/hr

I mean that sounds alot but the actual take home as you know is slightly different
Usually your contracted to 35-45hr weeks ... however you can expect to do overtime whenever is nessary for Time and a 1/3 expanding your weeks up around 70hrs.

So really when your looking at it all depends on what you believe is more worth it ... taking jobs within games or software isn't exactly glamourous, and is something you have to work damn'd hard for ON TOP of your talents.

Roughly as standard you can expect take homes of around £60-70k ($120-140k)
but this is just standardly - when you become a higher demand person who does posses greater talents than the normal people within the industry your contracts become more like a footballers ... with signing over fee's, shipping bonus's, higher than adverage wage packet.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2003 22:02
Even the least sucessful of these still get in the region of a million for what?
"

No. A casted guy/girl gets apprx $5,000 to $10,000 for a project. This project is likely to be a single at first. If the single flops -> that's it. If it charts somehow, great, another single and then maybe an album. If it's mega hit and they sell 5,000,000 copies of that single the payment is still $5,000 to $10,000. No royalties- nothing.

Ogres have layers.
bugsquish
Years of Service
User Offline
well i choose the hard work of a programmer over the instant riches of a celebrity any day. at least i will still have a marketable skill when im 50+
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2003 20:36
damn'd straight bugsquish

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2003 20:45
lol I agree. Although when I was a "popstar" it was short term fun

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2003 21:09
i second that! a toast to all the hardworking prorgammers of the world that never recieve the recognition they so rightly deserve <ching>.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 00:27
Ok, i know this is kinda off-topic but i just found out that metal gear solid was originally made on the NES before being recreated in 3D on the plastation! did anybody else know this?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 00:33
yup... you have Metal Gear on the NES
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake on the SNES
(both of which resemble what made it to the GBC/GBA)

then was later taken up on the Playstation when it was set to become the next Generation of SNES - guess they felt it was easier to program in C than Assembly C

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 01:42
Yeah Metal Gear on the NES was pretty cool! While Solid snake was present in 2d games I always took "Metal Gear Solid" as meaning like it had gone to 3d and was therefore more realistic or 'solid'. I may be wrong tho

Many programmers went from SNES to PSX for many reasons - one of which would be the coding language, another being Nintenods reluctance to use CD-ROM for storage. The fact that Square, Konami (appart from some small cartoony games) and Core all shunned Nintendo's hardware because of this was a good factro in the downfall of the N64. Imagine if Final Fantasy VII, TombRaider and Metal Gear Solid had been released on N64 - It would ave been a different story. Namco couldn't have kept PSX afloat themselves for long

samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 02:09
pissy thing was that when a CdRom was released for the N64 it was yanked because no one used it ... which was stupid.

Could you image what could have been done having 650Mb instead of 32Mb??
I mean damn'd just imagine how large they could've made Zelda and such games - i kinda was sad that no one used it, i mean made it perfect to compete and wasn't exactly expensive either, like £25-30

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 10:59
I know, there was so much potential Still think it was inadvised of Nintendo to use Mini DVDs for Gamecube as well. Admittedly they can hold around 1.5 gig which is more than enough, but its still significantly less than the competition, and innexperienced Zealots pick on it. Obviously it also meant it wasn't compatble with DVD videos

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 11:15
Well Nintendo's setup was strickly to give the gamers a games system not a multimedia system.

The Mini-DvD's cost less to produce, and the Rom speed is almost as fast as the Cartridges within the N64 - holding a buffer of around 8Mb, and running at 15Mbit/sec which although not super fast ... just takes the piss out of the PS2 and XBox's loading times.

However there is a purchaseable Panasonic BetaCube
it runs full size DvD's and all countries games.

Lik Sang ... these are the guys i get alot of imports from
they used to have N64DDs here too but i've lost where they are when they changed the look of the site

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 11:50
I had Metal Gear on my Sony "HitBit" MSX computer well before it came out on the NES. Bloody great it was too!

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 11:56
hehee... well my memory isn't grand for that far back, i'd of been what a few years old
i think thats one of the few computers my dad never got, i mean we had most of the others - i remember this cool game on the Acorn which was similar ... called "Ambre's" or something. Was a simple western game but in similar style.
lol man i wish i could remember alot more about the earli years

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
bugsquish
Years of Service
User Offline
noones ever gonna top DIZZY for my trusty CPC464
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 23:02
Elité on the Acorn Electron - best game ever in the history or games imho

i actually have a pong set in the loft too which was the first electronical machine my dad worked on ... still works after 25years
its not an original one, just a remake - but still impressive for when he made it as he never had a real one to base it on.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2003 00:00
Bugsquish - "noones ever gonna top DIZZY for my trusty CPC464" Aha so you'll have liked my Dizzy 3d primatives demo

Its included in this Zip with Bounce

http://www.mywestsomerset.com/bounce.zip

Mmmm Elite

"impressive for when he made it as he never had a real one to base it on." - Yeah thats really cool, my Dad did similar stuff, he used to work for commodore designing hardware and later moved into software for them, mostly pong type games with Ascii

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:04:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:04:32