Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC V1 License Dropped - Sell your games!

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 03:02
Hi all,

After much discussion on the topic we have decided that Version 1 of FPS Creator will allow you to SELL any game you make, royalty free. You will not owe us a penny (beyond the cost of the software purchase).

Just as important - there will be NO SPLASH SCREEN at the end of games made with Version 1 either. Infact there will be no sign at all that your game was created with FPSC.

For more details about what else is new, see this months newsletter (April) on the main TGC web site.

Cheers,

Rich

Two Worlds and in Between
Hot Metal and Methedrine
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 05:11
Completely unexpected and very good news.

With all the features plus a royalty free license for V1 you guys are awesome.

Thank you
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 06:18 Edited at: 27th Apr 2005 06:58
I read the announcement and the newsletter article, but I guess I'm still wondering why? I'm not complaining, but I would like to hear the reasoning behind the decision--if you all wouldn't mind sharing that info with us. It just seems like that's a big hit to you guys financially. I guess I just don't want to see FPSC go the way of T3DGM as in no profit = no support/enhancement/bug fix.

--formally FPSCreators--

"Trust no one" --Deepthroat (X-Files)
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 06:54
My concern too as said elsewhere. Personally I would not want to see FSC suffer - I would rather bear the cost of R and D and see FPSC improved but maybe thats not in tune with TGC thinking?

Is there any change in TGC policy towards further developing FPSC beyond V1?
Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 07:36 Edited at: 27th Apr 2005 07:41
Quote: "My concern too as said elsewhere. Personally I would not want to see FSC suffer - I would rather bear the cost of R and D and see FPSC improved but maybe thats not in tune with TGC thinking?

Is there any change in TGC policy towards further developing FPSC beyond V1?"

I was also thinking the same thing, or is the unexpected drop of the license fee cause of possible lack of sale's in the EA, even though this is not really any of my buissness, i am just curious. I would also rather pay to ensure continued development on your product although i am pleased with your decision it's just shocking.

Your signature has been erased by a mod -- please resize to under 600x120...
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 07:49
Personally the "no splash screen / no license" is something I have been campaigning for internally for some time now. The reasoning is simple - it's an outdated concept and simply does not apply to FPSC or the market we're aiming at today. Having those barriers up actually harms sales and confuses potential customers. On a purely financial front I'm quite sure that the lack of these restrictions will over time result in more revenue than the sale of a handful of licenses. It's about not removing the dream - if the consumer really believes they are going to make Halo 3 with FPSC then we don't want to slap a massive sign in their faces saying "well, no you're not without paying us hundreds of dollars first" - instead we're saying "if you can, go for it".

Sales of the EA version have been far higher than expected, hundreds and hundreds of copies and that's just EA! So fear not for the future of FPSC, it is a core product and we already know what is going to be included in V1.5 and beyond, we just need to get V1 released first

We want to make FPSC a mass-market product, not the niche that it is now, to do this you make it as accessible as possible - this is just part of moving towards doing that.

Cheers,

Rich

Hot Metal and Methedrine
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 08:04
Richard Davey,

Thank you for the most generous insight into the future of FPSC.

Hopefully once V1 is released we can improve the games we are all making with FPSC and help realise that future for FPSC.

Thanks again for the response.

Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow this is an interesting development! I'm certainly elated to hear that TGC has taken this "modern thinking" stance for FPSC and hope that it will boost sales and help solidfy the future of the product.

I do have some questions though and the issue of no longer needing a license -

Originally the intent of the license was to help TGC cover their investment in the core media of the product - the models, the sounds, the music, etc. etc.

What if someone wants to take the FPSC media and say use it in thier DBPro first person game? What if I want to make "Mutant Monopoly" and I use armory floor textures for the board and renders of Colonel X & Zombies for the pieces?

What I'm asking is where does the no license barrier extend? Are we able to ONLY create products within FPSC without a license or if we are registered users we also have royalty free rights to the included media as well?

(O.k. now that I opened that can of worms...)
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 09:07
Quote: "What I'm asking is where does the no license barrier extend?"

It starts and ends with FPS Creator.

While as a company we would most likely tolerate the use of FPSC media in (free) DBPro games, the license does not permit this and if you wish to sell those games you're in very grey waters indeed.

Hot Metal and Methedrine
Swivel Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 09:43
No Way!!!!! THIS IS GREAT!!! Now the only things i have been woundering are 1. when is the estamated time of release. and 2. how much is the estimated price?

Thanks,
alien

Politics:
Poly= Many
Ticks= blood sucking parasites
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 10:42 Edited at: 27th Apr 2005 10:44
@Alien ite

Estimated price of what? If you bought the FPSC EA version, all you have to pay is a shipping charge.

@TGC

Sorry, but I have to ask this. Is there anyway we can "donate" funds to TGC? I mean, you have done a lot of work and I would feel like a fool if I didn't send you $50 US or something.

Just a personal thing.

-This...is my boomstick!
Swivel Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 10:48
REALLY?!?!? i heard that just because you owned EA, did'nt mean you were able to get any discount on v.1 . guess i heard wrong! THATS GTEAT! now all i need to know is when you guys are thinking about releasing it(you cant hold a beast from its prey for to long ya know .[ I'am truely sorry for that comment...I will slap my self now.])

Politics:
Poly= Many
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 10:50
My guess of a release date (and note I said guess) in after August 2005.

-This...is my boomstick!
Swivel Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 11:02 Edited at: 27th Apr 2005 11:03
Quote: "if the consumer really believes they are going to make Halo 3 with FPSC then we don't want to slap a massive sign in their faces saying "well, no you're not without paying us hundreds of dollars first" "

WOW! thats halarious! w00t

Politics:
Poly= Many
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 14:58
"if the consumer really believes they are going to make Halo 3 with FPSC then we don't want to slap a massive sign in their faces saying "well, no you're not without paying us hundreds of dollars first" - instead we're saying "if you can, go for it"

I dont think anyones going to make anything quite like Halo 3 with FPSC, but given a little help (TGC)in achieving improved FPS performance in FPSC in the case of game content of some complexity and some kind of terrain support, then I would suggest that it is possible to make a "surprisingly" good diverse game with it if enough time and effort is invested.

I must admit that overall I am quite impressed by the potential of FPSC.

ngin
Years of Service
User Offline
So we who have paid for the FPSC Early Adopter release, should we pay once again for v1??

Cheers
rjpa

BTW: Great new license concept = no license.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 21:44
Quote: "So we who have paid for the FPSC Early Adopter release, should we pay once again for v1??"

This has been discussed many many times. The answer can be found here:

http://www.fpscreator.com/ea.php

See the section "Will EA users receive Version 1 automatically?"

Hot Metal and Methedrine
ngin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Richard, d*mn that was a fast answer.

Cheers
rjpa
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 23:58
Quote: "Completely unexpected and very good news.

With all the features plus a royalty free license for V1 you guys are awesome."

Agreed. Thanks I will feel alot better telling others to buy FPSC as well.

Swivel Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 04:42 Edited at: 28th Apr 2005 04:43
Quote: "My guess of a release date (and note I said guess) in after August 2005."
SWEETTTTTTTTTTT

Alien-ite is now swivel Games.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 03:17
This is great news for everyone involved. I think that there will be more people buying FPSC because of this and there will also be a chance for people to (attempt to) make money from their games. It also means that unfortunately there will be some really crappy games that cost as much as commercial ones that will be clogging up a lot of internet space.

SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 03:52
HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!
This news hit me like a ton of bricks. I was waiting for V1 to get back to work on my games, but I figure, to heck with this now, I'm COMING BACK!!!!
From what it sounds like is that it's going to be better than ever with V1. Hey, since the restrictions are being removed, can I release my hack for getting rid of the splashscreen at the end?
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 04:01
Quote: "Hey, since the restrictions are being removed, can I release my hack for getting rid of the splashscreen at the end?"

Afraid not. The license still stands for the EA release and we won't tolerate circumventing it, sorry.

Hot Metal and Methedrine
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 05:18
I challenge anyone to list one, just one, legitimate reason for removing the splash screen. Good grief.

--formally FPSCreators--

"Trust no one" --Deepthroat (X-Files)
MasterChief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 06:24
As a Microsoft instructor, I treat (tease) my class with a demostration of the game I put together. They think it is a new game from Microsoft!
As a class, we visit both the GameCreator and FPS Creator Website to follow up on the progress
You should see 12 new owners of DarkBasic and FPS Creator!
Thanks for great products. Keep up the outstanding work.
Thank you all for your tips and support in the forums.
Doyle
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 11:45 Edited at: 1st May 2005 08:48
You guys from The Game Creators are ....... AWSOME! Thanx so much! BUt one question, in the V1 can we will open EA's maps? Because my big game will take a lot of time to make and i want to sell it.

PDAC 4 Ever! http://www.pdac-online.com
Current Projects: House Maker 1.0, The Killer 3D
[url=www.pdac-online.com][img]www.pdac-online.com/PDAC%20Logo.jpg[/img][/url]
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 16:33
DOH!
Ok, I won't release it. Just making sure.
SoulMan

MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 00:49
Thnx TGC. You have done a great job!
Soma
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats the best news ive heard on FPSC since release date. What will V 1.0 cost?
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 23:42
EA + Upgrade to V1 = V1 cost.
But no cost has been said for the Upgrade or the complete

PDAC 4 Ever! http://www.pdac-online.com
Current Projects: House Maker 1.0, The Killer 3D
[url=www.pdac-online.com][img]www.pdac-online.com/PDAC%20Logo.jpg[/img][/url]
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2005 02:12 Edited at: 1st May 2005 02:16
Will EA users receive Version 1 automatically?
Version 1 of FPS Creator will be a physically boxed product in DVD casing with a printed manual. We will offer all EA customers the option to upgrade to the Version 1 release for a nominal fee that covers shipping and handling charges. The total price you will pay (for the EA version + the Upgrade fee) will be exactly the same as if you had purchased Version 1 on its own. In other words there will be no financial penalty for being an Early Adopter at all. You just get to own the software sooner and drive development of it.

Upgrading to Version 1 will not be automatic. We will email you as soon as Version 1 is available and you can then make the decision if you wish to upgrade or not. It is your choice entirely.

Basically, you have to pay shipping and handling. That cannot cost that much. I would hazard to guess under $15.

@Soma: Look 13 posts up, you asked the same question.

-This...is my boomstick!
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 19:37
As Skalex asked, will we be able to open maps from EA in V1? I would imagine so, but what I am wondering is whether we can keep out physics for those EA maps - it sounds worthless but I dont want to have to assign weights to everything i previously made in my maps.

Last night I was looking up at the stars and said "Where the hell is my roof?!"
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 09:25
Jiffy,
I would imagine that you wouldn't have to, but that might not be the case. We will know more this month I hope.
SoulMan

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 12:16
Very nice! I hope FPSCreators user base triples because of this!

Metel Artz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 05:49
WOW! at first i wasnt going to buy it becuase it is VERY slow on my computer, but im getting a new one this summer and the first thing im getting besides my new comp. is fpsc but is there going to be any other changes in version 1 as opposed to EA?

MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2005 03:02
Not to be rude but... GO SEARCH THE FOURMS!!!!!!!!!
Average Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "if the consumer really believes they are going to make Halo 3 with FPSC then we don't want to slap a massive sign in their faces saying "well, no you're not without paying us hundreds of dollars first" - instead we're saying "if you can, go for it".
"

Quote: "This is great news for everyone involved. I think that there will be more people buying FPSC because of this and there will also be a chance for people to (attempt to) make money from their games."

Let me tell you, your decision worked. I have spent three years, off and on, trying to find the "perfect" (for me) game authoring system. "Perfect" includes not only functionality and reliability, but also price and liscense.
One product I looked at (Japanise) actually built something into your finished game that would notify them whenever someone PLAYED your game, so they could charge you a usage fee! The game would not run without internet access. (They are now out of business.)
Dropping the royalty fees sold me. I'm in. Thank you for a wonderful product and a common sence marketing stratagy.

=fred=

"Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly."
trtrainer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a couple stupid question, I was under the impression that I would have to buy version one and the early adopter version was basically just something to play with. I don't mind buying V.1 but where is it available? the link on the homepage took me to the early adopter version?
I am also curious if the work I have done will be transferable to version 1 or do I have to rebuild?
Thank you

Bruce
cardine
Years of Service
User Offline
V1 hasn't been released yet... (It's supposed to release in late summer).

My-Free-Coupons.com
CardineHosting.com
Evil Inside
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent, Rich!

That's very good news!

Oh and Rich? Can you import .avi files or .mpeg/mpg files in?

alex 1337
User Banned
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 05:11
yes u can, using the story zone
BIG computer geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 13:31
Quote: "Not to be rude but... GO SEARCH THE FOURMS!!!!!!!!!"

um, you dont even have to search the forums!

I may Be small, but im bloomin good on a computer!
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 01:04
Lol, no one does.

Formerly I was CDBGames, and formerly to that i was Duke Nukem, and even more formerly to that
I was Punk Rock 101. Got it?
BIG computer geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 00:31
sure dont!

BIG computer geek

Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 06:15
I can't wait to rip off my friends with my games!

MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 07:21
What's that supposed to mean?
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 07:56
nothing...
Programmer Dave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 08:01
lol

I'm the guy you love to hate.
BIG computer geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 21:32
BIG LOLS

BIG comp-uter geek

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-03 10:08:29
Your offset time is: 2024-07-03 10:08:29