Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Helios Rise, graphics demonstration (the faster the better)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 07:37 Edited at: 2nd May 2005 09:00
very sorry everyone, this has been moved to another thread.

sorry for the inconvenience, geecee3.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 07:55
That is beeeautiful!

I take it you have a whole heap of shader action going on in that demo?

BatVink
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 07:59
not a single shader, i'm more of an artist than a programmer and see DBP as a great way of animating your images

glad you like it, thanks.

regards, geecee3.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 08:23
I love it. Makes you feel really relaxed.

The mist effect and particles in the rings are really well done.

Having a snout around your exe shows demo is made up of simple .x files and well drawn graphics, but the clever red overemphasized lighting really makes the demo stand out.

Even on my fairly run of the mill pc, it runs silky smooth.

The only thing I did notice which spoils things if you REALLY look hard, is the ground texture does not tile exactly, so every now and again you see a vertical seam.

If TGC ever do an old style rolling demo competition you would win hands down.

Boo!
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 08:33
thanks m8, if you just take a bit of time and put a bit of effort in. you can make great graphical demos very easily. I really need some pointers on event sequencing within a program, like a sound tracker but controlling the spawning of scenes and objects instead of sounds. I think you'll like the game i'm about to upload as well!!

it'll be here on this board within an hour.

regards, geecee3.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 08:36
Absolutely beautiful - let's just hope the game plays as well as your intro

Two Worlds and in Between
Hot Metal and Methedrine
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 08:38
thanks rich, you guys have made my day!!

regards, geecee3.
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 09:29
can't download...dbspot is down

Digitalmodr
Coder_David
[Apolloed ]
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 10:05
i think you'll find it's a bit intermittent at the moment. i think jimmy is the process of updating the site.

but it does work, i just been there.

regards, geecee3.
STALKER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 16:34
Any chance of getting Rich to host this and fujiboinks as well?

>>>>>>>>>>>MIRAGE STUDIOS<<<<<<<<<<<
>MEDIEVAL CARNIVAL<>GLADIATOR ARENA<
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 23:22
good news Ojaveda, rich has offered some space on a TGC server for me to put my games and demos for you guys to see. hopefully everything should be up and running before too long. I have quite a few thing the massive may find of interest, not just proggies and demos, but media and tutorials describing the processes and methods used to make the demos and games. the media i have to offer includes loads of cubic maps, seamless sky textures, bitmap fonts, music and models. I want to share as much as i can with you guys.
and the kind folks at TGC are making that possible. for this, I am truly grateful.

regards, geecee3.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2005 05:45
Can't wait to see pics of this, I've heard good things

Facts are meaningless.
You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2005 06:30
thanks david,
all i was trying to do really was get a good looking wraparound landscape for a defender clone. the code itself is nothing special, it's all in the media. I spend quite a lot of time thinking about what i want to achieve. and what's the EASIEST way for me to achieve it.(but it's got to be efficient) shaders slightly confuse me, so i don't use them yet. i'm going to rewrite the source in a more sensible manner and post it together with the media once i get set up. All this positive feedback for something that very few people have seen has gotten me all exited. I don't want to protect the stuff i'm making in the way a lot of other programmers do. For me it's more of a love of the scene and the technology. Sure someday i'd like to work for a games company in a 'just make us stuff' capacity, but i'm realistic thinking and know the chances of that are pretty slim.(dreams are always pretty unatainable, that's why they're dreams.) The thing is, I do a lot of other creative things with my computer. Up until now I have ever only had the opinions or comments about the things that I do from a few friends and family. I do get feedback on things like the 20 line challenge which i love and never want to see stopped. But feedback on bigger things like demos and games (blastroids excluded) was almost impossible due to hosting difficulties. As a result of this I have trashed untold amounts code and media because i didn't care that much about it. sure helios rise looks nice, even I have to say that. but watching a black hole tear a star apart in realtime at 1600x1200 resolution 60fps was something way nicer than helios.(BBC SPACE with sam neil episode 3, better than that in realtime.) I trashed it during a lapse when re-formatting, along with countless other bits of code and experiments. some of which included a simple system i used for volumetric galaxies and explosions. but because i thought about these things a great deal, i still remember how to do them. which is a blessing. I hope you like helios when i get it sorted, it's nice but it's really nothing special.

it's you guys that make it special.

thanks all, grant.
STALKER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2005 12:14 Edited at: 1st May 2005 12:19
Man, that was DEEP. Keep it up. If we had more people like you, using TGC Products the world would be a better place.

Cant wait to try some of your stuff

Edit:I tried Nanopod 1.1 but couldnt figure out how to shoot lol

>>>>>>>>>>>MIRAGE STUDIOS<<<<<<<<<<<
>MEDIEVAL CARNIVAL<>GLADIATOR ARENA<

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 09:59:53
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 09:59:53