Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / nanopod v1.11 - the full shebang-

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 09:16 Edited at: 2nd May 2005 21:44
hello again, this is a little game i have made, it's a retro blaster called nanopod and it's faster than wing chun fighting, honest.

nab the file further down in the link provided by Rich!!

it needs a card better than a ge-force4 mx440 and plays best with a sidewinder pad. if you use a standard joypad then you have to press TAB on the title screen to change the setting for the control type (bottom left of screen). also pressing the number keys 1-9 will change the skin, q-o will change the backdrop and a-l will change the floor texture used. also if you want to skip the slagging at the end of the game just press space when the scroller starts. you can also play using the keys. cursor keys move you about and WASD fire the 4 way gun. oh and the levels have a time limit just to make it more interesting. pressing return on the title screen will resart the game at the highest reached level during the play session.

happy blasting!

geecee3.

tip. smash the firebuttons really fast when the nanopod is stationary, it fires as fast as you can. also the nanopod only fires when it reaches the center of a grid square, so basshing the buttons while moving is pretty pointless.
Hoopkid ups
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! This must be one of the most well-made DB games I've ever played! The game is so addictive, and the graphics are incredible! Great Job!
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 09:59
thanks m8. it's not bad for a moons worth of messing about.

regards, geecee3.
STALKER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 17:48
Says your page and the link doesnt exist

>>>>>>>>>>>MIRAGE STUDIOS<<<<<<<<<<<
>MEDIEVAL CARNIVAL<>GLADIATOR ARENA<
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 17:55
( DBSpot is down temporarily ).

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 19:25 Edited at: 29th Apr 2005 19:25
geecee3 - DBSpot is still down, if you want to upload the game to our FTP servers then we (TGC) will host it for you. Just upload to ftp.thegamecreators.com (login as anonymous) and place the file into the incoming directory. Mail me (or post here) when you're done and I'll move it somewhere live.

Cheers,

Rich

Two Worlds and in Between
Hot Metal and Methedrine
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 20:12 Edited at: 29th Apr 2005 20:24
thanks you guys, jimmy's having hosting probs.

cheers, geecee3.
i'm sending it now. thanks again.
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 07:32
ok rich, i must have blacked out and forgot to repost, very sorry.

it should be in that incoming thingie.

many thanks, grant.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 09:07 Edited at: 30th Apr 2005 09:07
No worries - did you get my email?

The file is now up at:

http://files.thegamecreators.com/showcase/dbpro/nanopod.zip

Cheers,

Rich

Two Worlds and in Between
Hot Metal and Methedrine
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 10:41
hi rich,

yeah i got your mail, but there ain't a smiley big enough in the emoties to show how happy i feel.

thanks again, grant.

PS. woot.
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 10:47
Too slow on my comp, but the graphics are awesome! Great job.

Digitalmodr
Coder_David
[Apolloed ]
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 11:11
hi apolloed,

sorry about it being too slow on your pc. the slowest machine i have tested it on is an athlonXP2500 on an NFORCE2-400 based system with 256 mb of ram and a GF4mx440. i also tested it with a GFX5200 in the same system but found that to have about half the performance of the mx440. it was written on an athlon64 with a hercules 3d prophet 9800XT classic with 256MB ram on board. the original design was far too intense even for a GFX5900 / ati9600XT.
it had a laser grid on the floor bigger explosions and much more detailed graphics. but very few people would actually be able to run it properly. seriously, the grafix are chucked together, and to tell the truth i'm a bit ashamed of them. same with the music, i can do far better media than that. as i'm sure you'll see in the near future. hehe.

cheers, geecee3.
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 20:40
This game is very very very good!! if you made this few years a go for the remake competition it definatly won! very nice graphics and sounds

changed my old name "jopie dopie" to my real name
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 23:53
I love programing retro stuff. must have something to do with my age LOL. I think when your 'addicted' to the technology and the things you can do with it, it helps retain more of the kid in you.
so you never truly grow up and become a run of the mill adult.

at 34 years of age, lots of people think i'm wasting my time with making demos and games on my computer. but i happen to know different. the DBP package has opened up a whole new vista of computing for me, allowing the art I make to become more than just a picture or a tune. DBP is that MAGIC GLUE that allows me to take other things i make and STICK them together. I love it. I have to admit that when i first bought PRO i was a bit dissapointed, but as I have gained more experience with it and learned how to work around some of the graphical issues (which now appear to be getting fixed and even further enhanced in some cases) i feel very comfortable and confident about what can be done with PRO, even with limited programming skills. DBP is coming of age.

regards, geecee3.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2005 05:52
Thanks for the inspiration man.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2005 06:11
Very nice game.

Even nicer that I spotted my name in scrolling credits!!

I've played it up to level 11 so far and it starts to get a bit manic by then.

The only downsides I have found so far are the lack of instructions as to what keys do what. Took me a while to work out even how to shoot, even though you exlained in top post. Maybe a controls screen and a readme file would be nice.

I also think the way the game slows down to a crawl if I hold fire button down is a bit offputting.

Can you also explain what the information panel at bottom right corner is supposed to tell you (something about fire,down,test??)

Nice to see your little demos turning into fully fledged games.

Boo!
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2005 07:19
hi spooky,
when i say the full shebang it's not quite the full shebang. nanopod is mainly an engine test. an experiment in mapping and stuff. it just sort of turned out as a game. I have a little trouble when it comes to explaining things like 'how to play this'
i may get someone to help me with things like instructions and stuff. the slowdown is strange. what is the spec of your system? if i get enough info on how it perform on various systems, i can make a much more efficient release without loosing too much of the graphics. further optomising the collision checking will also help.

that little panel down the left lets you know how your joypad fire buttons are going to behave before you play. the one on the other side effects the output on the one that says fire.....test, up down, left, right and null for no firing.

i think i know what the problem is! that little panel has to go, it's getting re-textured at to high a rate with a pretty big and inefficient texture. also the player fire trails could go as there are a few transparent objects overlapping there as well as the other transparent stuff. try it with a joypad if possible and let me know if theres any difference, telling me if your keyboard is USB or PS2 would also help. as for the control screen i'll make some control screen graphics explaining what does what.

once i rework some of it, i'll make a whole new set of levels to replace the ones it has at the moment. and i'm going to include a tune and skin option where you can place a skin texture (template provided) and an mp3 of your choice to be used as the in game tune, inside the game folder. so as you can personalise it a bit.

cheers m8, grant.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2005 07:52
PC Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
512MB
MSI GeForce4 Ti4600 (128MB)
XP Home SP2
PS2 Keyboard
MS Sidewinder gamepad (plugs into old style game port)

When I say game slows down to a crawl if you hold down fire button, I mean it slows down by about 50%. It does this using keyboard or joypad. If you play game properly by rapidly pressing fire button you won't see problem, it's just if you hold a fire button down.

Boo!
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2005 08:27 Edited at: 1st May 2005 08:37
thanks m8,

that tells me exactly whats wrong with teh codez. going to have a poke about now.

haha, what a donkey. i'm too embaraced to say what I had forgot.

cheerz.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2005 14:42
Excellent game geecee3, this is truly fantastic!

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 00:44
Hi geecee3,
Looks fantastic. The whole presentation is great as ever and the skinning idea is a nice touch (and something I recently added that to our "engine").

I don't want to comment too much on the gameplay just yet as I have the same problem as spooky (terrible slow down when holding down fire) and it's pretty much unplayable

Can't wait for the fixed version.

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 01:44
Hi FOG.
i'm testing a newer version at the moment. and the slowdown problem appears to have been resolved. but i still have to do a bit of further testing. I am cleaning up the look of the graphics a little as well. (it seems a bit to cluttered)

my webspace should be live later on today, so i'll get the new version uploaded later, along with working links to the other demos and stuff.

cheerz m8, geecee3.
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 21:51 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 00:13
ok guys, nanopod is evolving, it's looking a bit better now and the firing issues have been fixed(hopefully), i'm gonna continue with more graffix and stuff today and should have a newer (better) version for posting later tonight.

thanks for the interest in my wee game.

cheers, all. geecee3.

the autofire is going!!! i'm making it so you have to smash the keyboard or buttons on your pad to get the nanopod to fire. there is a strange happening taking place!. one of the values in my program keeps resetting to 0 but i can't find any other reference to it in the code or variable setup routines. so until i figure out what i have done wrong the autofire has to go. other than that the explosions are now a bit bigger and fill more of the screen with burst of colour. the grid now hides itself on the title screen and level complete and game over screens making it easier to read. the transparency on the sliding message plains has been removed, and the floor textures are now 4X the size. this may have an adverse effect on slower computers and weak graphics systems, so i'm going to make a graphically reduced version so those with lesser systems can play properly. i have also found a slight bug in the collision system which uses a pre-emptive collision check based on certain map conditions, it's possible to pass through some moving objects on occasion. i'll be looking into this as well. but it's a strange bug that often helps the player. very strange.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 06:46:57
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 06:46:57