Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Physics Engine - Any clue or a guess to what one it is?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 03:17
Anyone care to guess what it might be. I am thinking that it is Havok since it has been referred as a top notch or excellent. Of course I would imagine it not to be but one can wonder, right?
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 03:56 Edited at: 13th May 2005 03:56
It was said to be a secret earlier on. I have not heard since any specific name quoted for which Physics engine it might be. Sorry

SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2005 03:15
Wow,
We have a lot of excited people in here. Thought I would have gotten more of a response. Is it just me or do people like the flame war posts. I thought this one would have at least gotten the attention of a few bodies out there. Maybe not. We shall see.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2005 09:44
I was gonna post something yesterday but i didn't. Well I will say what I wanted to say...

I thought tgc was making thier own physics system. I think they said that somewhere in the forums. Anyone remember?
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2005 00:25 Edited at: 15th May 2005 00:35
There arn't many bodies around here. No one can answer your question anyway. I told you its a secret.

MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2005 04:01
I heard that too.
Dory The Cable Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
a physics engine is what makes the game go round (no, litrily!! ) it controls the movement of everything, bullets comming in contac with player and objects, it makes the ground solid, it makes the entities not solid-oops!!! i shouldnt have said that!!! has anybody noticed that the enimie entities arnt solid? its realy anoing

i don't siggy my message
Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2005 07:04 Edited at: 22nd May 2005 07:09
I belive you have physics mixed up with collision,
physics controls such things as

gravity
velocity
buoyancy
density

the reason why the camera passes through a enemy in fps creator is because the collision detection is turned off between the camera and the enemies, this was probablly because of enemies animations not reacting the way they should have durning collision or the ai with the camera in the EA.

I think i read that in v1 collision will be on the enemies, don't really see how it can't be though since v1 is said to support multiplayer, i would guess that instead of just a camera there would have to be a character controled along with the camera, since it wouldn't make much sense to have a death match with only cameras and guns. As to the physics engine who know's maybe they wrote there own, awhile back i thought i remember reading that it would be a 3rd party engine but only tgc know's.

Your signature has been erased by a mod -- please resize to under 600x120...
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2005 05:36 Edited at: 1st Jun 2005 05:38
Collision is a basic element of "physics". Traditional collision is usually just to stop a sphere or point from going through a wall, and give it a nice slidey motion when it hits the wall. More advanced physics on the other hand uses collision to bounce and twist stuff off of walls and other bodies, with the correct momentum, impulses and crap. And for that reason "real" physics takes up a lot more processing power than simple collision. You can't separate collision and physics, what use is a fully simulated ragdoll chicken if you can't make it collide with a wall ?

And TGC are not making their own "real" physics engine. A full physics engine would be a whole other full time project by itself, and that isn't what TGC are aiming to do in the long run. They are using one of the other big commercial physics engines and integrating it with DBPro (and hence FPSC). Not sure if they'll keep their simple collision system for the characters though .

More tea Vicar?
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2005 22:55
Quote: "Great...the creativity is flowing out of the world and into nothing. Not make your own engine? Man...talk about push offs. Besides if Lee does make his own engine...there won't be any way to blame someone else for the problems...then again, mabey he will merge."

Well, if you ask him kindly, I'm sure Lee will have no problem taking a couple of years out of the FPSC development time to create his own physics engine .

More tea Vicar?
Dory The Cable Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
i'd kill him for that (lol, lol, lol)

Heven doesn't want me and Hell's afraid i'll take over
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 02:28
my guess is novodex, based on the info from the dev diaries.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:02:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:02:35