Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Tutorials?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 18:53
Any tutorials and examples planned for DarkSDK? I noticed the help only includes a command reference. There's no embedded examples like are included with DBPRO.
Smithy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 21:21
Yeah
And also, the command reference is incomplete and has spelling failures.

I noted that if you search for something, there will pop up items called "unnamed" (or something similar)

These are mostly tutorials from DBPro but you can only access the page that you were linked to. You can't go to say page 2 of the tutorial.
So, the DBPro tuts are hidden inside the *.chm file somehow.

I was hoping to get some more informations than only the (incomplete) command references, I mean, I buyed the SDK to use it, and for that I need a good description/tutorials.

I only buyed Freeware edition of the SDK but...
It was enough money to expect that a good "manual" would be shipped.
( Or so I thought )

You will have to learn a lot from the DBPro forums and from the help of others.

//Pentium IV 3200E/Prescott; 800Mhz FSB; Hyperthreading; WinXP Pro (!XP2); ATI R9700PRO; 1024MB RAM (2x 512MB "DualChanneled"; VC++ 6.0; Delphi; ADSL;
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 21:30
Those of us with DBPro too don't have a problem - we already have most of the experience needed to use the SDK despite the lack of examples. It would be nice though if the DBPro examples were converted to C++

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Smithy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 21:38 Edited at: 13th May 2005 21:39
Well, not all of us have background in DBPro... like... ME

//Pentium IV 3200E/Prescott; 800Mhz FSB; Hyperthreading; WinXP Pro (!XP2); ATI R9700PRO; 1024MB RAM (2x 512MB "DualChanneled"; VC++ 6.0; Delphi; ADSL;
Tiggster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2005 00:55
I have quite a bit of experience with DBPro myself, but am still somewhat new to C++ even though I have a pretty good handle on the language. I don't expect them to include tutorials covering the C++ language in general because there are obviously countless textbooks covering every aspect of the language, but there is nothing available to assist in learning to utilize the DarkSDK library. I don't think the DBPro tutorials count.

The product looks to still be evolving, so I'm sure they will put professional quality documentation and tutorials together as the product matures. I just hope it happens very soon!
dwilson32
Years of Service
User Offline
I think what would really be of tremendous help here would be a guide on how to interface with the Dark SDK for those more inexperienced C++ programmers. It would also help if someone wrote a searchable database that included all of the classes and objects and what not in the SDK. Information like, what arguments to pass and all of that.

Derik Wilson
Bernard
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2005 02:44
For people who know the Dutch language; here you can find a free C book: http://cage.ugent.be/~gvernaev/ccursus/
It's very nice to read, and not too difficult. You can also use it als a reference manual, since most of the commands (which are listed at the end of the book) are explained and illustrated with small examples. Since it's a C book and not C++, there's no introduction to object oriented programming, but that's something you could learn after mastering the other techniques.
I think it's a huge advantage if you have deeper knowledge of C++ when you want to use the Dark Game SDK (allthough you can also just use it the way you used to program in DB classic or pro).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:19:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:19:29