Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / X exporter for Maya

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2003 11:46
Does anyone know of a good x exporter for maya?
- Kjetil
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't know a GOOD one, but there's one in Microsoft's DirectX SDK Extras package ... i've been using it but my textures won't transfer, so i'm thinking about using 3DS instead in hopes it might work that way. I'll have to export from Maya as OBJ, then convert OBJ to 3DS ... blah ... why can't it be easy?

Galiem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2003 19:21
An easier way may be one of the thousands of freeware format converters on the net... Just run searches on Google... I won't link one because I'm not up to speed on the pros/ cons of each, but they are there.

Converters basically just eat, say, a .3ds file, and spit out the digested .x file... Nothing to do really, in most converters all this is automated.

Hope this vague answer helps lol

TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's the trick, getting a 3ds file out of Maya ...

Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2003 10:58
- Maya .x exporter -
I found it at www.highend3d.com (maya - plugins - Maya 4.5 X file Exporter v1.0)

- Maya to 3ds -
Use the kaydara plugin for maya, 3dsmax, xsi, lightwave etc.. download it from http://www.kaydara.com/

but thanks for the help anyway.

- Kjetil
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2003 14:07
Maya???

Do I feel poor or what.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
is the 3ds from Maya thing free? and does it take the texture info too?

AceDad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 04:29
You have Maya!!! And it doesn't export to 3ds or X!!! this I can't beleive did you try looking at the save tipes

Just in case some one doesn't know MAYA IS THE BEST 3D Animation and IMAGING SOFTWARE OUT THERE!!! (o and its really expecive too)

Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 10:23
Actarus; I don't have a license for maya myself, but as a 3d-design studen I have one this year because my school have licensed all the students.

TogaMario; The kaydara plugin is free, and yes, it take texture info as well (I'v just testet it a little bit). BUT you have to install the plugin into 3ds as well to import the new file, and then you can save it in 3ds.
I haven't tried the maya x. exporter, so I don't know if it works yet.

AceDAD; No, you can't save as either .x or .3dx (I think the only global savefile maya ships with would be .obj).

- Kjetil
monkee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 15:04
Btw the x exporter for maya 4.5 does not work. Still waiting for someone to recompile it. If you have max or maya 4.0 then your best bet is to go to microsofts directx site and download the directx8 sdk extras. (should be about 1.5meg). You get plugins for max 3,4(5) and maya 3/4.
This site has and exporter for max 4/5.

http://www.pandasoft.demon.co.uk/directxmax4.htm
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 17:36
the Microsoft exporter for Maya 4.5 does work - i should know i use the bugger.

but there are multiple reasons why it won't work ... certain plugins detect cracked versions, quite a few require Maya Complete or Unlimited RATHER than Builder.
Some need slight editing within MayaC of PLE and exported then recompiled for the native version of Maya (4.0 or 4.5)

so there are ALOT of reasons why it won't work for you

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 10:10
Where did you get the bugger raven.

I tried to download it from highend3d.com it didn't work, just asked for a dll that I didn't have.

any posibilities that you could mail it to me?

- Kjetil
monkee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 17:17
Thats what I was saying. The highend 3d version did not work. (read Kjetil above)
Is there any chance I could have that too? Or could you post it on the highend site please?
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, my new method of getting things from Maya to DBPro is exporting as an OBJ file, then opening that in Milkshape, reassigning the texture I had assigned in Maya, and animated in Milkshape. Export using one of their .X tools, and it's golden.

P.S. This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:28:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:28:56