Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Higher-order surfaces

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering if it's possible to implement ATI's N-Patch in DBP?

For more information about TruForm rendering technology check out this url:
http://www.ati.com/developer/truform_faq.html

From what it seems, and what they believe, it should be very easy to use this stuff.(there are a few sources)

So, is there any way for making a dll which allows us to use this stuff on special object for example: N_PATCH obj, lod or something like that?
It can have LOD from centain distances as well!

Anyone? with expriments, Interests, etc.

Thanks.
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
anyone?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2005 02:11 Edited at: 21st May 2005 02:12
It looks like the technique just replaces a single poly with multiple poly's with the positions of those vertices calculated by interpolating between the normals of the original poly.

So, yes you can probably reproduce this yourself, and no, I wouldn't be able to do it with my severly lacking maths knowledge.

This won't be too much use for the likes of us and our memblock meshes though. The real win as far as this technique is concerned is that it takes place within the drivers and GPU. If you were to do it at the mesh level, then it would probably be easier to include that level of detail in the first place when you create the model.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
@IanM:
Quote: "So, yes you can probably reproduce this yourself, and no, I wouldn't be able to do it with my severly lacking maths knowledge."

Really! but that's not a problem(I think). ATI has released some codes and functions. I'm just at the begining, but you've write many .DLLs
Here are two links for the sources...

This one has a viewer and a few models form quack, etc. and source codes.
http://www.ati.com/developer/sdk/NPatch/NPatchViewer.zip

It is a source for 3dsmax plugin, but it has lots of functions, classes, etc.
http://www.ati.com/developer/sdk/NPatch/NPatch5-11-01.zip

I'm more...hmm... something like artist! I'm really new to C/C++, and I'm not a very expert guy in DBP either!

So, can you help me, PLEASE! I don't mean to be rude or something! I'm just asking if you can help me

If you don't have the time or you think it's not very useful,(as you mentioned) etc. I can easily understand. But please, take a look at those functions and...I hope...well!

I think there is a .dll called Glut32.dll or something

btw, that shouldn't really be hard for C/C++ men At least it doesn't seem to be! what do you think is it possible, hard or easy, etc.

Thanks!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2005 21:34
Sorry - you'll need to find someone else to help you I'm afraid. I already have too many projects that I can't find enough time for.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
@IanM:
OK, IanM. Thank you anyway, And my apology! I really had to guess you're so bussy, sorry for that

I'll drop a post in the "Programming Talk" thread to see if someone can help

Thank you again, GOOD LUCK!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2005 22:11
Need any more topics about high order surfaces? j/k

Facts are meaningless.
You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
heh... sorry for that
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2005 05:37
It's possible to create the plug-in, personally I wouldn't do it via the ATI SDK but without DirectX 9.0c N-Patch Surfaces (mainly because it's easier heh)

The best thing about them is they take all the effort out, but the problem is getting them to cooperate with Dark Basic Professional.
Currently there's no way to access the internal data (atleast easily) of the object.. which makes this a pretty futile task for the moment.

Given that only ATI cards can use it, you might be better doing research on DirectX Optimised Mesh. As it is capable of doing the same thing, but for everyone.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:45:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:45:15