Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Windows Temp Directory

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2005 03:28
Has anyone noticed that FSPC creates folders in the windows temp directory but does not delete them? It does so every time you test a level. I found nearly 2 gigs of folders there.
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2005 00:17
Isn't that the installer or something?

How's my typing? Phone 0800-GO-TO-HELL
brushswinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2005 03:57
No. They re-appear after testing levels. Some people using XP may not notice because the temp directory is no longer "C:\Windows\Temp"

In Xp it is
"C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\Local Settings\Temp"

Have a look. Empty the folder, then test a level. A folder will appear in your xp temp directory called DBPRO1, DBPRO2 .....incrementing each time you test a level. Well this happens to me anyhow. If no one else has this problem I would like to know why I have.
Dory The Cable Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
i think thats why FPSC wont work for me, i'll check

i don't siggy my message
Dory The Cable Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
darnit!! thats not why

i don't siggy my message
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2005 07:40 Edited at: 8th Jun 2005 07:41
brushswinger,

FPSC does indeed create files in the specified temp directory, though I guess it must delete them at some time as I have been using FPSC since day 1 and my hard disk would probably be full by now. The Temp directory only has 383mb files in total in there. Thats not a problem for my system though I could do without them.

Anyone tried deleting the FPSC temp files manually? to see how it affects FPSC if at all. Would it speed FPSC up or Crash it?

I will try backing them up to CD sometime and deleting them, then if FPSC fails to run I can put them back hopefully.

Chris D
Years of Service
User Offline
I deleted them & it screwed the game I was working on, it made the map edit window go blank when I reloaded the FPSC file. The game tested okay but couldn't be edited in the map window.
Nevermind!
It's okay now ( it was only a feature tryout thing not a proper project )
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 19:57
Actually all apps that store files in the temp folder are responsible to clear it after use. This way a program can store data between two sessions; that wouldn't be possbile if the OS took care of it. A few (device driver) installers make use of this technique.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Version 1.073
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 22:41
empty,

Quite correct - its a well known factor in Windows not enough memory error messages - that some programs dont release memory back to Windows when they should - its a sign of either badly written programs or often simply that adding such code is left out due to cost or other factors in wanting to rush a product out of the door. After all who need lots of available temp space where programs can work in? (joke)

At present it does not seem to affect me - since a second level of mine which I have been working on for six months is now also refusing to let me add anything further to the level (2 out of 3 levels) I have noticed that FPSC never has anything in the Temp directory - which is probably why it is being naughty and shut down my development. Its totally confused - and gets me the same

brushswinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 15:08
"C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\Local Settings\Temp"

The folders are called Dbpdata, Dbpdata2, Dbpdata3 and so on, incrementing each time you test a level.

Deleting them after closing down Fpsc has no effect on the level editor.
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 23:50
FPSC was actually made and written (almost) entirely in DarkBASIC Professional.

The problem with the TEMP folder data, is one that stands with DBP.

The way it works, is that DBP unloads required DLL's from it's exe into these directories and reads them back into memory from there. Why, I don't know, but it's known throughout the DBP community.

Deleting the folder will not effect anything to do with FPSC ( as long as FPSC isn't open when you try to delete them ).

Save, do back-ups of the saves, then delete.
I'm not taking any responsibility if you lose anything, though

Jess.

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 05:03
Quote: "A program puts information in the REGISTRY if it needs to run after reboot, not temp."

So these device driver installers are susposed to store several mb of files in the registry?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:04:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:04:11