Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Whats the speed of SDk

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 08:29
has any of you run a test with huge number of polygons, for example 500 000.Do you have your frame rate.I am interested because i want to make huge battles in my game so i am thinking is it worth learning C
Antdizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 09:25
That would really depend on the end user's computer. However, a game made with DGSDK would be faster than the exact same thing made in Darkbasic Pro.
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 09:39
Yes i realize that but can someone give me an estimate, like 10% 50% 100% faster because lerning c++ takes a lot of time.
shiny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 14:56
I got 4 frames per second with 500,000 lit/shaded/ untextured & unanimated pollygons on screen. I'm running an Athlon 64 3500+ with a geforce 6800 ultra. Didn't get to comfortable playing speeds untill about 100,000 when I was getting arround 15fps. DBSDK isn't the best engine for massive number of pollygons.....

scooby bloke
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "because lerning c++ takes a lot of time"

Actually, you don't need to learn c++. It will work just fine with normal C, (i.e. you don't need to learn the OO concepts of c++ to get started with the sdk). It's not difficult to learn, and the benefits are great, especially when mixed with the other open source / free libraries out there (e.g. scripting engines etc).

It's worth the initial pain imo.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 19:01 Edited at: 27th May 2005 19:02
An estimate over DBPro would be a 150-200% speed increase, you are looking at a serious FPS increase. If the graphics engine was optimised a bit, it could get even faster.

This does mean that movement should really be linked to the computer speed, and got capped to, say 60 FPS. Its a bit of extra work, but then you can do a lot more per frame...

My AtomZ game (see below), can animate all the atomz on the board and various other things with no slowdown.

Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 19:16
I thought for my game to make TBS part in DBPro and RTS part because of speed in SDK.Is this possible?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 20:00
No you wont be able to do a part DBPro/DarkSDK, as they both compile as executables only.

You could, of course write a DLL which is access from the DBPro program, although using the DBPro internal functions would be tricky, but not impossible.

Alberto
Years of Service
User Offline
"because lerning c++ takes a lot of time"

It is not a big problem in my opinion.
A basic C++ knowledge is sufficient.
A lot of C++ stuff have nothing to do with game programming , so simply skip them.
Some advanced features are of use for huge programs ,only
Not to mention that the game engine wraps some of C++ issues( I\O for example)

Alberto
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 03:49
Thank you i will think about that
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 07:27
The speed of rendering can vary on many factors. While Shinys test ended up being slow that may be down to the way the scene is set up. If you were to have many thousands of objects with low polygon counts that can cause a slowdown as it's not so efficient to be drawing small batches of polygons. However, if you were to merge those objects this would allow the graphics card to draw bigger batches of polygons at a time and this would result in faster frame rates.
Alberto
Years of Service
User Offline
A lot of people are keen about speed.
However, in my opinion, the big advantage of C++\SDK over DarkBasic Pro ,is flexibility.

Alberto
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 01:42
I dont understand why is SDK more flexible then DBP if they use similar
commands?
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 02:31
because with c/c++ command sets come in .lib files (library files) and, with a strech of the imagination, it would be kind of acceptable for someone new to c/c++ to think of dgsdk as a plugin for c/c++.

Yes, it has the darkbasic command set. BUT you can also use the directX .libs manually and generally just go around including any of the hundreads of thousands of librarys you find online - there will generally -always- be a command set to do a task you want to do already out there somewhere. Sure, somethings can be a pain to intergrate with the darkbasic api, but for example for my sound engine i use an lgpl api called Audiere which supports every format under the sun. I am also able to used the LUA api which is a VERY powerful scripting language which I can then use in my games.

c/c++ is infinatly expandable and generally portable (even though darksdk isnt) and its just overall far more flexiable because of it.

[07:16:59-pm] « Sephnroth » you were dreaming about lee...
[07:17:13-pm] « Mouse » stfu
[07:17:22-pm] « Mouse » he was hanging himself lol
Alberto
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont understand why is SDK more flexible then DBP if they use similar commands?

I have been trying to implement a rather sophisticated AI for my game, after reading "Programming game AI by example" by Mat Buckland, a great book , by the way.
Using a poorly structured programming language , such as Blitz3d or DarkBasicPro ,it is a nightmare.

Alberto
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 06:01
um, I just wrote a post trying to explain it ^^ Its important to remember that darksdk is NOT a programming language, its a set of functions/routines which you can use in c/c++ - c/c++ is more flexiable than dbp.

[07:16:59-pm] « Sephnroth » you were dreaming about lee...
[07:17:13-pm] « Mouse » stfu
[07:17:22-pm] « Mouse » he was hanging himself lol
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 06:10
Ok that helped a lot to clear myth about DGSDK
Alberto
Years of Service
User Offline
that darksdk is NOT a programming language

Right,anyway Perokreco is not completely wrong , saying that DarkBasicPro and DarkSDK\C++ are about the same stuff as far as graphic and sound programming is concerned.

you can also use the directX .libs manually .... -

You are also right but it is not what I meant for flexibility.
DarkbasicPro supplies about 1000 comands, very seldom an amateur is in the need to create his own comand( In the "real" need I mean)
If so DarkSDK makes a little sense for 99 % of DarkBasic users

The main benefits are for the game design, in my opinion.
In C++ you can incapsulate data and functions, rather declaring a lot of global variable , for example.
You can create superb graphics using DarkBasicPro, but you are in trouble in case of medium size projects

Alberto

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:29:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:29:35