Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / When will SDK 1.1 (or 1.2) be available to VC6 users ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 06:07
I am in the same position as some others (Sephnroth, not to name him): I am trying to go on with my game using SDK 1.0 but I cannot go further with some parts due to bugs or "non-functionning functions".
I cannot upgrade to SDK 1.1 because the terrain lib is not compatible with VC6. Mike told me by email about 1 month ago that an update was likely to be released in the next days, but there are still no news from it.

It would really help if a functionnal release would be avaiblable VERY SOON, because I feel quite abandonned to my poor fate by TGC.
I have bought the DarkGame SDK on the basis of the system requirements that can still be found at http://darkgamesdk.thegamecreators.com/?f=system_requirements
Quote: " Locally installed copy of Microsoft Visual C++ 6 (SP5+) or Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003
Locally installed DirectX 9.0b (or higher) SDK"

Could we please have some feedback on the status of the next update ?

Thanks in advance.
zao420
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 11:12
Its not TGC fault that it is not compatible with vc6. Microsoft has stoped supporting vc6 with direct x. Soon you will start seeing lots of game engine not supporting vc6 because the latest features don't work in it. and you know TGC loves to add the latest features to the engine. I myself have went to a open source engine, it's a little bit harder to use then dgsdk but it will be better and it support other operation systems besides windows. but it reqiures a better video card then you can get away with dgsdk.

http://cavesoft.no-ip.com
WIP Version of my site. Usally it is offline.
http://dev-cavesoft.no-ip.com
Artus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 18:14 Edited at: 30th May 2005 18:15
I am not that sure that it is a problem with DirectX. For DGSDK1.1, the problem is that the terrain.lib released in the VC6 folder is not for VC6. The other libs link without problem. Moreover, applications that do not use Advanced Terrains compile without problem, so there is no problem with linking DirectX libs.

I think that TGC should rather fix the bugs in the SDK (activate or fix broken functions) and update documentation on EXISTING features rather than continuously adding new (mis- or non-documented and eventually buggy) features that most of the darkSDK users won't use anyway and that high-profile coders can get directly through the DirectX SDK. As far as I know, DirectX runtime is backward compatible, so if you program a game with the DirectX9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) it should work with Directx9.0c(4.09.0000.0905)...

When a software or a SDK is sold as compatible with VC6 it should be compatible with VC6. If, because of major system requirement evolutions, this compatibility could not be maintained, I think DarkSDK should be sold and advertised as a new version, not an update.

Anyway, in his email Mike Johnson seemed to say that the compatibility problem could be solved easily and that the new release would take a few days no because of this fix but because of a list of other problems.

Quote: "
To: "Artus"
Subject: RE: problem linking Terrain.lib with SDK 1.1 and VC6
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 08:52:48 +0100

This along with other issues will be resolved in a new upgrade which is likely to be released this week.

Regards,
Mike

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 28 April 2005 08:39
To: mike@thegamecreators.com
Subject: problem linking Terrain.lib with SDK 1.1 and VC6

Hi,

"Bouncy Brick" as suggested me to email you about the problem I have
described in the forum (thread "Dark SDK 1.1 - problems linking Terrain.lib").
Could you please check that the VS6Terrain.lib supplied with the 1.1
update is correct ?

Thanks,
Artus."

I understand that VC6 is old (1998 ?) but VC7 also (2002 ?) and I will be ready to buy a new development suite when VC8 will be out (2005 ?). Doesn't it make sense ?

With kind regards,
Artus.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 21:04
Unfortunately Mike seems to be doing the physics thing at the moment, for FPSC

Artus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 21:38 Edited at: 30th May 2005 22:31
Looks like Mike has too many things to do at the same time. Shouldn't TGC hire a team to help him ? While he's doing physics on the next version of fpsc, I am doing acrobatics to work around bugs and limitations of the current sdk ; the good thing is that it forces me to improve my programming skills, but...
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2005 18:02
The terrain and collision problems are fixed along with a few other issues. Instead of waiting longer for me to test things, update help and demos would it be preferable if we released a beta version that you could download and use?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2005 23:03
hell yeah
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 00:00 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2005 00:11
Mike:

No, I would rather wait until it is as close as 100% as you think it could be. If it takes a year or two, don't worry. We know you are a very busy person and that you will deliver a good product in the end. It is not like we have any projects we are working on that need attention anytime soon. We all can wait for you to deliver a quality product.

-This...is my boomstick!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 01:01
A few people would like object collision to be at least fixed, so the SDK can be used for the puzzle competition, so a year or two wait would n't be ideal...

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 01:31
Sorry BB, I will try to drip it with more sarcasm next time. I mean really, if you had a chance to have X number of people test a beta, knowing it is a beta and each have their own projects that they are working on *OR* you can test it by yourself and a close net of friends to solve issues, what would you do?

Release the beta.

I actually needed this stuff 2 months ago.

Cheers!

-This...is my boomstick!
Artus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 06:42
Well, I totally approve Mike's policy to fully test new sdk versions and improve help and examples. However, there are major problems with the current sdk and even a beta release of the new one would certainly be better. I thus also suggest to release the beta. While we will be testing it, Mike will have some days to complete the help (really needed also).
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 06:44
Indeed - the more people who use it, the greater the chance of finding any problems.

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 08:09

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:20:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:20:21