Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / Unable to MAKE MESH FROM OBJECT after display mode change...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 10:35 Edited at: 30th May 2005 10:36
Simple code to illustrate. Problem occurs in both fullscreen exclusive and windowed modes. Problem also occurs using any display mode change. Program crashes back to Windows rather than waiting for the space bar to be pressed like it should. Also, after the display mode change, the LOAD MESH command also fails (basically anything to do with loading/creating meshes).

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 15:00
I get the same results with your code. Odd though that it works fine in my game

SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
After a screen resolution change? That is wierd. It fails on everything I've tried it on.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 15:20
Ah I have just found out why. In my game there are no objects loaded between resolution changes. You can change res all day long and it will work afterwards but you cannot load any media between res changes or it will crash.

SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
So even after deleting all media before a resolution change, the mesh commands will still cause a crash? Bummer. Definately a bug then.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 15:48
Yeah definately a bug. You can however load images between res changes.

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 09:37
Isn't this because the set display mode command basically removes all loaded media? If so, this isn't a DBPro bug. Its a stupid limitation written into DirectX by the happy funsters at Microsoft.

[rejected] surely?

Philip

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 09:50
Even if DBP does remove the media surely you should be able to reload it after the res change

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 17:01
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 05:15 Edited at: 15th Jun 2005 05:15
Quote: "Its a stupid limitation written into DirectX by the happy funsters at Microsoft.

[rejected] surely?"

This isn't a limitation in-set by DX. You can change the screen mode (while using DX normally) as many times as you like without erasing all your media....

Its a 'DBP thing' as such (not negative/moaning; its just a fact)

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 06:43
Aha. So its a Lee thing eh?

Naughty Lee.

Philip

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 22:25
Ok.. turns out DX does have a 'surface' limitation on screen-modes;
so if DBP loads using this, then it is a DBP limitation.

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, any mesh data loaded into memory blocks work just fine in DBC (even after display mode changes, as it's not video memory), but DBPro prevents the use of meshes in just about any form after a display mode change.

Not being able to retain mesh data in memory (which isn't even video memory), not being able to create new meshes, and not being able to load new meshes are all pretty major flaws.
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 03:29
Yeah, I had this issue in my program and I just added boolean flags to all my media to check what was there and what wasn't. I was a pain, but I can change resolution modes now.

Breaking Stuff=Fun!,Bug Testing<>Fun!, Bug Testing=Breaking Stuff, so...
Bug Testing=Fun! Hmmmm....
DOES NOT COMPUTE! SYSTEM MALFUNTION!
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 23:18
This isn't a bug but due to the way things work. After the display mode has changed you can check if the device is invalid or changed and then it is your responsibility to recreate objects which no longer exist. Ideally this is something we need to do automatically and I will look into it after upgrade 5.9.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 00:23 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2005 00:28
Yet you list it as rejected, which is my feeling about DBPro at this time for any future projects of mine. Refer to: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=60026&b=15

Recreating objects is precisely what doesn't work.

Again, if you refuse to fix such flaws, then you need to explain in the help documentation why such commands WILL fail to work correctly under such basic conditions as changing the screen mode.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 00:26
This is a feature request. It is something I will look into but not for 5.9 as we are concentrating on bug fixes and not feature requests.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 00:31 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2005 00:46
You're still missing the point. This is a function bug, not a feature. This is what you tell us to do:

Quote: "After the display mode has changed you can check if the device is invalid or changed and then it is your responsibility to recreate objects which no longer exist."

Yet recreating objects that no longer exist is precisely what doesn't work. My sample code attempts to do exactly what you describe, recreate an object. And it's even deleted before the screen mode change. You can't do anything with meshes after a screen mode change. And you're telling me that's how it's supposed to work and such a thing is an added feature?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 00:35
I must admit I have seen objects refusing to allow them to be reloaded after a program has been switched out and then in again - I took it that the offending item was only partially deleted on the switch out, so when the program is switched back in, DBPro thinks its still present, but the rendering system can find nothing to display.

Come to the third DarkBasic Pro Sci Fi Con - Be there and be square
Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 00:56
Sorry I didn't realise the problem was with the actual meshes. I thought it was a case of objects just not being there. The problem with the meshes is now fixed.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you, that purple 'Fixed' label in the thread title is very encouraging

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 21:08:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 21:08:07