Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / XIII style shader

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
will i beable to use a toon shader like in XIII by UBI Soft

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 09:13
That's a hard question to answer. While we have access to Pixel Shaders, we really don't have full control as far as I can tell. It's possible you could create the .fx files required to make it appear as toon shading, but not sure if it would look quite right. What you might want to try to get a toon look for your models is to create the Textures with a Bold Black Line around the outline. That might give a little bit what you want but wouldn't be the same as the toon shader.
Hopefully Lee or Rich can clear this up some more for us. Also, FPSCreator in it's current state doesn't run as fast. Heavy usage of shaders would cause it to slow down. Time will tell though.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2005 00:15
XIII doesn't really *USE* shaders, vertex or pixel, at ALL.

It actually renders each model several times. The outline is generated using the same trick I used to use (and still do) in DBC, where you essentially clone a model, invert the cloned copy, and colour it black.

Thanks to scaling it as a negative number, the Z-buffer places it behind any object that's inside the clone, resulting in the ''outline'' not actually obscuring the gun itself.

Mind you, I saw some code for a combined pixel & vertex shader on GameDev.net somewhere that made some pretty neat cel-shading..

How's my typing? Phone 0800-GO-TO-HELL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:59:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:59:30