Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Madame Guillotine - When you just got to chop a head!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2005 16:51
I just finished my first, full-fledged game written in DarkBasicPro. It's called Madame Guillotine, and, if I may be so humble, it's quite entertaining -- especially the custom animated heads... hillarious!

You can download a demo and see some screenshots here: http://www.pankratzcreations.com/software. Let me know what you think.

Also, I'm not 100% sure of the minimum system requirements, so if you can get the demo to run well on less, let me know!

Thanks!
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2005 09:24
You should get a gallery of some sort up on your site to post some screenshots.

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
Pankratz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2005 13:36
There should be some screenshots on the right side of the page. Do I need to post more and larger ones?
Pankratz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2005 15:48
I updated my screenshots on my website so you can enlarge them. Here are some of the thumbnails:

Main Menu:

English Word Gameplay:
[img]
http://www.pankratzcreations.com/software/images/ScreenShots/MmeG/Game-Guillotine-5a.gif[/img]

Making a Custom Head:
[img]
http://www.pankratzcreations.com/software/images/ScreenShots/MmeG/Game-Guillotine-8a.gif[/img]

I would really appreciate anyone's feedback be it positive or negative.
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 09:53 Edited at: 29th Jun 2005 10:00
Ouais! Un jeu francais! Avec des tĂȘtes! J'adore ce jeu! (I hope you speak french, and if you do, I hope that I didn't make any mistakes )

Une autre chose, les mots sont pas mal facile. On devrait avoir des gros mots, comme "Lugubre", et "ZĂ©zayer"(je trouve qu'ils sont gros).

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 14:07
no offence...but has anyone actually even bought this yet?

Don't look at me like that!
jlb1987
Years of Service
User Offline
it looks entertaining for a hangman clone. So where's your game, leys?

"We dads have a saying- You can't fix it 'til you've broken it." Brian Johnson.
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 22:37
We don't need to buy it, the demo's cool enough. It's good to see some francophone games(although all the menus are in this odd scary language(english)).

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 01:53
Quote: "So where's your game, leys?"

I don't have one for sale. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great game, im just saying that most games that come out commercially, are way more involved.

Don't look at me like that!
Pankratz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 04:39
Quote: "no offence...but has anyone actually even bought this yet?... most games that come out commercially, are way more involved"

None taken. I figured it was a longshot to make some money off of it. But I actually did sell one copy. I'll probably put the full-version up for freeware when I'm finished with my next game (which is much more involved).
Pankratz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 05:08
Manticore Night:

Thanks for the encouragement ! I was beginning to wonder if francophone games would be worth my while. I'll definitely keep them coming -- hopefully more marketable ones.

As for the scary menu language and the easy words -- my main target audience is beginning French students, so I kept things simple. I was going to add a French version of the menu and options, but I wanted to focus my time on my next games.

Like I said in my earlier post, the full-version will probably become freeware in the near future, so keep your eyes open -- the custom heads feature is what really makes the game entertaining.
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2005 03:49
Quote: "Note: Pankratz Creations does not condone the actual guillotining of heads."

That just cracks me up

Nice game

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
dj chainz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2005 05:07
Nooooooooooooooooooooo......

No more BankGothic please please please!!!

That fontface gets everywhere - it started with Hitman : codename 47, then it got on movie posters, books, logos, websites....
That fontface should be eradicated from the internet its got so far...

But I think your game is very good and I hope you do sell a few copies to at least pay for your dev tools. It looks really constant throughout, and the gameplay is real good fun. It has more depth than an internet game like this could ever have, so is not one of those games people don't buy because there are free versions available. I would be tempted to buy it, especially if I were going to study french in the future (just finished my GCSE and I think I'll stop now).

However the game failed to launch fullscreen and lacks sound and I believe that you are not loading the images correctly - they are blurred/mipmapped:
load image "filename.png",number,1
will sort your problems out by making the image pixel perfect. Oh, and if you use better compression somewhere to make the whole thing smaller, it will be accessible to modem users (4Mb is a max really). Use PNGs instead of bitmaps is a good start.

The installer failed to add start menu shortcuts (use NSIS for best results), and placed the files in "C:\panzkraft creations\" instead of in the program files as it should. Neither did it add itself into the registry so could not be removed from the computer using "add/remove programs" in the control panel - this is the way M$ now reccomend you add your programs to a target system.

But the game is good - its just the distribution that has problems. Hope you get some good sales - promoting your game on other forums will help.

I am the lead programmer at red spark studios
http://www.redsparkstudios.co.uk
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 01:47
Hangman ? how nice
THat's nostalgy, because Hangman was my very first game. (BASIC, not DarkBASIC)

- Mind the gap -
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 07:10
Well that makes it official for me.

Every game I make from now on is going to be up for sale.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:46:57
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:46:57