Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Stress caused by programming

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2003 22:10
Although it helps on the mental power, I think when things go wrong on VB/DB/DBpro/RPGDTE, it causes 20% - 35% of all my stress.
What do you think?
Join FWMB @ aimoo
I'm one BIG nasty lizard.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2003 22:42
lmao You obviously don't have children or a wife or bills or debts or... hold on a minute, I WANTED PIXEL PERFECT SPRITE COLLISION, NOT BOXED! ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Drazo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2003 23:08
BTW - if you want to see some sreen shots of what I've done so far then try out my web-site and have a look around.

Join FWMB @ aimoo
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 05:08
I'll take KG's wife, children, bill and debts ... replace the wife with a mom who constantly nags about things i didn't even know existed, a brother who keeps borrowing money i don't have, a female friend who's PMS has lasted almost 2months, plus everysingle DB/C++ newbie who can't be bothered to read the manuals ask you the most stupid of questions

for example, how do you move and object...
ya know i was working on my little quickie game, getting IM'd left right and bloody centre - i ended up missing half of bloody Angel and then i fell asleep.
i'm so not a happy bunni right now, i wanna know when Angel and Scrubs will be repeated ... cause if i wait until the series finish and repeated that way i'll be back in the states.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 21:38
O_O Angle is over isn't it???

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 22:46
yeah its finished in the states, but i missed most of it there too cause i had to work so much
bloody new fangled Tivo unit i couldn't get working kept recording some strange pakistan music channel.

:: grumbles "bloody us sat boxes, easi to operate my ass!" ::

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 01:26
Mines pretty easy to operate =)...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 07:39
lol... i've had two in the past year, and old cable which was so slow i could make a Tea before the channel page flipped and this one with a "Visual" controller

i swear i'd give anything for Sky in the states

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 21:53
Mmmmmm tea.... O_O I have DirectTV and DirectPC

Drazo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 22:33
This thread is going beautifully of topic.

Tea? Tea doesn't cause stress, or does it?

Join FWMB @ aimoo
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 23:56
no but the cable box does
i have something called Digimation Sat, or something stupid like that - was on Atlantic before then, was happy when Sky setup a T1 connection ... problem is i can't watch TV and go on the net (which sucks)

and its not really off topic, because i watch TV to unwind after a stressful programming (and DB user whineing) day

gbuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 00:02
This is an important subject for programmers.. Stress has a number of sources for programmers. It's essentially caused by 'Pressure' put on Oneself. Pressure can be handled by 'Attitude'. One's Attitude to how we go about programming determines what sort of Stress levels we develop. For example, the size of a Goal. It's repeatedly sugggested on these and other programming Forums to keep the size of projects small and aim to complete them. That way, if obstacles occur, the whole thing doesn't become too daunting.
One of the main aspects of programming is 'Problem Solving'. The solving of one small problem can be very rewarding and the 'Self Esteem' can rocket, giving much needed impetus to achieve the final Goal.

Apart from Attitude there are Mental Tools available to help Programmers deal with Stress. Meditation, with it's multitude of variations can help quiet the Mind and release Anxiety and Stress. TM for Example can produce the equivalant of Four hours sleep in just 20 minutes.
Disciplining Oneself to stop and relax rather than take it to the max, is also part of 'Attitude'.
The sharing of problems and pooling of knowledge is a great Stress Reliever and why Forums can be so useful..

gbuilder.

AMD900mhz, 256mb Ram, 64mb GForce2 MX400 Graphics card, Windows 98se.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 00:04
Well said Gbuilder, I could learn from that

samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 00:04
Yup... O_O I don't get stressed out... or angry that often...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 00:12
puffy live a day in my world ... stress takes on a whole new meaning

just thank god your still a teen in school, god hands up everyone who'd love to go back (^_^)

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 00:55
*throws hand up and waves it wildly* (And I tht I hated it whilst I was there...)

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 01:28
Raven, I know how you feel. Im trying to work and those stupid IMs pop up saying "what would be the best way to have a guy move around?" I tell them to make a matrix first and all the sudden "How do you do that?"

READ THE BLOODY MANUAL!!

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 01:28
Oh btw- yea programming can be stressful. I suggest when you get a little stressed, try doing something else. When I was stressed, I worked on some planning for my game, made some models etc

RPGamer

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 03:15
Oh god... your telling me I'm in my prime... O_O I was being sarcastic... I'm always depressed/angry/worried/stressed... o_O damnit...

Killer Sponge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 15:11
I wish i woz bak in skool, even if i h8ed it, i ddn't have to worry about anything!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 15:24
lmao @ RPGamer ... well i constantly take breaks, i mean thats why i pop in the forums so much - i'm just giving my work a rest for a min usually whilst i'm making a tea

its fun jittering back and forth, always have music on (quite loudly too, most have to like the same kinda music to work with me ) ... that helps me relax.
quite funny actually we all like Papa Roach, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, A, etc... so someone will come into our room and hear kinda faint music with the door closed - come in and are instantly deafend

i mean i'm happy at home here and in irvine i've got some seriously powerful speakers, Warfdales XP2's - i know they're an old line but still the best imho

and there is nothing funnier than someone animating so they're standing up to do the action to try and get it right ... and like you have some tune on, i mean sometime you end up dancing (until one of the girls laugh at you and you think you best sit down )
god sometimes i have so much fun developing

Drazo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 17:55
I get stressed when everything don't work, I'm still learning from DBpro though I'm more advance at Visual BASIC then DB....

Join FWMB @ aimoo
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 03:10
I swear- if everyone just read the danged manual, this forum wouldnt be half as active!!!

RPGamer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:41:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:41:18