Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / HUD transparency?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 04:15
Hi all!
I've tried a few draw and converter programs, but I can't get transparency to work. One of the programs I tried was Paint Shop Pro 9 (Trial). I created a .TGA with a transparent background but PSP9 told me it saved it as a merged file because of limitations of the trial version. The transparency didn't work in the resultant file.

Could someone tell me how to create a transparent background for my HUD displays preferrably with free (or cheap) programs. Remember, I need to know how to do it as well as what to do it with.

Thanks in advance!
Chris D
Years of Service
User Offline
I use Photoshop but I guess other paint packages are similar...

Make your texture image & save it as a 32-bit RGB .TGA file

In your paint package there should be a way to see the "channels" ie:
Red, Green & Blue... There'll be another channel there too, this is the Alpha Channel & will probably be blank.

Make a greyscale image to determine the opaque & transparent areas & paste it into your alpha channel.

When you re-save it the image file will then contain transparency info hidden in the alpha channel.

Be sure to change the object's transparency setting in the properties editor in FSPC otherwise the transparency info will be ignored.

Hope this helps
Scottie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2005 01:25
Thanks Chris!

I'll let you kow how works out.
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 03:38
I use photo shop also.
Scottie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 03:35
I got transparency to work with Paint Shop Pro 9. I found the process documented here:http://www.sluniverse.com/kb/Article.aspx?id=10190 (It's actually meant for textures used in the game Second Life, but the process is the same.)

I also tried GIMP. You just tell it to create a transparent background when you create a new image. Then just paint over it and save as a TGA file and you're done.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:59:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:59:01