Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / The possibilities are endless...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 00:55
I was watching the walkthrough video for FPSC. I was just thinking about the bit at the end where it says "The possibilities are endless..."

That could be true. With many one-genre based game creators on the market today, they have all be known to create completely different styles of games altogether. I think if this community expanded a lot more then this could be possible.

What are your thoughts?

From MarkDark.

P.S Have anybody here seen my weblog?

- Check out my game designing blog! http://markdarksgamedesigningblog.blogspot.com/
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 13:07 Edited at: 15th Jun 2005 13:12
Unfortunately the FPSC possibilities for making differing types of games at least are not endless. At least not currently.

Dont quite know what you mean by expanded - if you simply mean more users then that will depend on how FPSC is developed and managed/marketed I guess. Thus far the forum community here overall seems to me to have shrunk away with just new members replacing those that seem to not stay around for very long. There are few that have been around for a very long time still here.

Many I presume have looked at FPSC and find it does not have the feature set to allow for instance that possibilty that you mention of creating games of various genere. Its a very restrictive engine. The many problem and bugs which make working with FPSC EA difficult and difficulties of adding your own content in the EA encountered by a wide range of users will obviously also have added to loss of members continuing to use the software. Thats also why you wont find many games around yet made with it.

Thats the way it seems to me anyway, you just need to look at the number of forum members online at any one time which is difficult to adjuge here though certainly there are much fewer posts per day now than there were some time back at the time of the EA release.

I still post - though currently and have stopped development with FPSC as it wont allow me to add any further content to levels and could not proceed even if I wished.

If you stick to using the default media and following the rules of making simple indoor type games then ease of use will make FPSC attractive to a certain section of game makers, those for whom it was desigend - normal folks who just want a bit of fun and try making a game but who dont want to invest in a lot of hard work so then move on to doing something else for fun.

For the many serious game makers who are prepared to invest a great deal of time - it may not offer enough flexibility or productivity.

Whats required is a stable V1 on whic TG can build - that at least may hold more of those who are at least prepared to look at FPSC as serious game making software and stick with it. Numbers may then increase as the product develops and fewer drop away.

There will always be a certain level of users made up from members of the general public who will see it as a novelty - by and large for whom the product was designed, numbers will always fluctuate and they wont publish many games with it.

The majority of members at this forum will be of the somwhat more dedicated game maker variety - though due to FPSC features and limitations the numbers will unlikely to be great - currently its simply does not offer enough choice to a wide enough number of game makers and its unstable. Completing and publishing a full game will be a long harduous task fraught with much difficulty and complication for those here. For those that want to make anything like approaching a professional commercial title you will have a long wait for those that are prepared to stay the pace working with restrictive and difficult software to complete a game they can publish - given even that the FPSC engine will allow that.

You are unlikely to see many users in the Commercial game category in the true sense of the description even consider using FPSC when considering publishing an AAA title.

Yes the community may expand and it may not - I do hope so as I personally support the endeavour of TG in making software easier to use for all.

Easy for me too I hope - even if the possibilities are not endless.

DarkMoon productions inc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 20:07
nice long awnser cool. I'll read it later when I have more time.

- Check out my game designing blog! http://markdarksgamedesigningblog.blogspot.com/
stormboy
Years of Service
User Offline
I had enough time to read it! Maybe with multiplayer and
physics it will be worth trying/possible to do a real cheap bargain bin type of fps, the main requirement for using this engine will
be for me at least a closer relationship with the software designers via these forums where we can get features updated, examples,
and some form of ongoing dialogue with the devs.

Without that, things will be pretty bleak.
Maybe after V1 there will be more
contack/feedback, things like camera control and so on
would make it possible to do cutscenes, a much more robust menu system where user/player can be offered alternative
settings and so on, load out screens,
just got to hope V1 is not the end of the story.

regards
DarkMoon productions inc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 17:18
I hope the online play does not require the server to be your PC. Otherwise my broadband connection will be eaten up like a triple chocolate donut served up on a plate in front of a weight watchers class while the teacher is not looking.

From Mark.

I am No one. And no one is perfect. SO I AM PERFECT!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 23:07
stormboy,

Yes FPSC may well be better suited to MP levels than anything else as MP does often not contain levels of great content complexity. e.g. lots of unecessary entities like tables, vehicles and so on - they are usually quite clutter free so that fast paced movement is relatively unrestricted and we are used to seeing them so.

So too levels are normally quite samll arena type - having many small, varied style MP levels can make for an interesting game compilation.

FPSC may well be very successful at this.

I may try making some MP levels when V1 is released - already having one that would be suitable put together. Hopefully MP levels in V1 may be made small enough to stop it from killing my large scale levels development - which currently leaves me with no development.

In the mean time I may have to consider relaunching my development in other engines previously used, which have my game at a further stage of development than FPSC does.

Not much choice for me currently.

Dory The Cable Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I hope the online play does not require the server to be your PC. Otherwise my broadband connection will be eaten up like a triple chocolate donut served up on a plate in front of a weight watchers class while the teacher is not looking."

hahahaha!!!!

Heven doesn't want me and Hell's afraid i'll take over
DataCat games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 19:23
Quote: "hahahaha!!!! "

Yeah, all the other users didnt get that joke. They have no sense of humor.

-----
From DataCat games!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:57:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:57:49