Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Particles - More functionality available in the DLL?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 01:12
Question for Mike really....

I'm wondering if there is any more functionality in the DLL that can be made available. I'm think about 2 things specifically, which would be very useful...

1. Particle rotation. The emitter can be rotated (once the bug is fixed ), but can the particles be rotated too? Even if it's just on the Z-Axis.

2. Colliders. Is it possible to get feedback on whether a collider has been the subject of a collision? This would be fantastic functionality...Imagine putting a collider around an object, and knowing when it had been hit by a spray of emitter particles! Pass me my elephant gun....

BatVink
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 07:38
When we work on the next upgrade I will spend some time going through the source and figure out what's going on and see what extra functionality can be added in and maybe what functionality is already in that can be exposed to DB Pro.
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 12:48
Quote: "maybe what functionality is already in that can be exposed to DB Pro."

are u hiding somethign from us
is it like one of those commands that arent in the keywords and arent documented(at all)

also i would really like that little thingy in stringtables that will automatically generate help files or keyword.ini files(i forgot which one it was)

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 18:20
Offset, I think this is a third party DLL, which has been "enhanced" to make it interact with DB Pro. So it could be full of hidden goodies that haven't been found yet.

Of course, I could also be talking complete rubbish.

BatVink
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 20:26
Another programmer wrote this DLL for us and got things set up in the first place. All I've done with it are a few minor changes and prepare it for release. It's likely that there are extras available in the source that can be added in to enhance the pack. I'll know more when we work on the next upgrade.
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 01:41
hmmm (just curios) was he the same guy who wrote the editor for dbp

well isnt that cool
and u didnt even make it to where we could "crash test" commands by putting in stringtables for them did u

Eddie B
Years of Service
User Offline
No lol, Mike Johnson is the 3D Programmer of Dbpro. He works with lee

And the person wich made the Editor left dbpro , ( I think some one said becuase if Persopnal problems )...

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 04:41
Correct, but keywords are added via ini files and help is html, neither of which have anything to do with the core editor source code. BlueIDE use the same type of methods for keywords and help, but RobK has the source for BlueIDE. As BlueIDE is continuing to be developed and is less buggy than DBPro built-in editor I use it now.

P.S. In any great team there always conflicts. That's why so many software development companies split and reform with different team makers. Great minds don't think alike, that's what makes them great.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 05:24
No the programmer of the 3D Cloth & Particles pack has nothing to do with any of the editors. He's only created this pack for us.
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 07:13
hmmm
i got a question for u

how did u upgrade the editor if u dont have the source code to it
now i know u can disassemble and crap but to edit a disassembled editor using all those windows calls just sounds ridiculous

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 07:40
Any updates available for the editor were made by the programmer who created it and not us.
Zealous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 08:49
I second Bat's request. PLEASE let us control how particles are billboarded/rotated. Right now there is no way to create a rain effect because of the way all particles auto face the camera on all axis.

Couldnt be too difficult to add a

set emitter billboard emitterID, Xangle, Yangle

X and Y angle parms would be a bool, indicating if the particle will face the camera along that axis or not.

The rain Gods beg you! I know you can do it Mike!

PS - If you could also include a way to set the x/y dimensions of particles that would be great too. Then you wouldnt even need a texture for raindrops, you could just use a thin rectangular plain (or perhaps even a triangle) that only billboards along the camera y angle.

All you need is zeal

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 22:07:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 22:07:18