Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Getting started

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 07:34
I just placed an order for the Dark Game SDK today but I don't have the download information yet. So, while I'm waiting for that, can anyone recommend some reading material to help me get started?

Mario
Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 20:59 Edited at: 16th Jun 2005 21:17
Do you know C++? If not, there are plenty of tutorials online.

If you do, then you could download the eval version of Dark basic Pro instead and start reading the documentation. I don't have my copy of the DGSDK yet but from what I read the commands are mostly identical, but with "db" stuck before them.

<edit> Doh! Downloaded it yesterday. Must be this cold I've got</edit>

T.
mperdue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 21:53
Quote: "Do you know C++? If not, there are plenty of tutorials online."

I'm very familier with C/C++. I've also done a bit of game programming in the past for Atari, Carousel International and Sony. (see my website's projects pages http://www.l4software.com/projects.html for a bit more information on some of that.)

Quote: "If you do, then you could download the eval version of Dark basic Pro instead and start reading the documentation. I don't have my copy of the DGSDK yet but from what I read the commands are mostly identical, but with "db" stuck before them."

I've been doing that.

Thanks for the reply,

Mario
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 00:16
If you want to make level editors and such then I recommend Sephnroth´s tutorial on how to get the win32 api intergrated with DGDK.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=54893&b=22
Failing that you could stare at the pretty DGDK samples.

¿Como estas you el dia de today?
mperdue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 04:35
MiR,

Thanks for the link. I'll wait a bit to read it as there seems to be some problem with my order. If they can't manage to get me the product reading about it would be moot.

Mario
mperdue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 05:50
Everything is sorted out now. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions as I dig deeper into this product.

Mario
mperdue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 12:33
It took awhile but I finally figured out what "blank win32" means and I've been able to put together my first spinning cube program.

I like this...

Mario

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:36:23
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:36:23