Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Editor issuses

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just downloaded your trial version to see how the product was like but have so far been unable to use the editor. When it first started up the library screen was empty and gave me no access to premade objects.
Also all the buttons like save, open, segment mode, ect. Were all unresponsive and did nothing.

So I shut it down and restarted the program. It's loaded and gave me the box that displays how much time I have left in the demo. Now the library screen seemed to work correctly and now displayed objects that I could select. how ever when I try to place rooms or anything in the editing screen nothing happens. The display remains black regardless of wat I do. Loading maps doesn't display anything either and pressing the test level button locks the program up and suspends my mouse in the center of my screen.

I'm using a Pentium Centrino M 1.5 ghz
1 gig ram
80 gig hd
128 mb ATI x300
Direct X 9.0c

Anyone encountered this issue and or know how to solve it? I'd really like to buy the software but I have to know it will work first.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2005 00:16
Not sure those things are the problem - at least not the root problem which may be inherant in FPSC.

Having said that though you should try doing what Merranvo suggests first before anything else. If you have not a lot of system resources some of that may help. Try eliminating one thing at a time.

It sounds like the unistall option is your best bet as FPSC seesm to be a little confused. Make sure you install to any default settings/location for FPSC and dont change anything. Make sure initilly that you install following a clean reboot - then after installation re-boot before launching FPSC. Hopefully it will find everything correctly which may help at least eliminate the install.

Not sure if you get the demo game with the trial - if you do - then after installation before lunching FPSC try running the demo game - Does that run OK?

Other than the uninstall and re-installation of FPSC - the other things suggested are by and large basic requirements a mosern system could or should be able to run all at once and indeed in some intances are needed for security reasons.

No modern programme should require you to shut down "ALL" other programmes or system operations so that it can run itself (or its poorly designed or has bugs in it). Though it may be just be one thing that affects FPSC operation - hence elimination is the best bet - that way you may find the exact cause.

In reality though much software does not work like that in not conflicting with something else.

If your system has been working hard all day with a lot of programs operating of course Windows itself may may run out of memeory but just a reboot should fix that.

brushswinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2005 01:51
I installed and ran FPSC straight after I downloaded it (EA Edition) much to my surprise. It is the first program I have downloaded and istalled, of this type, that has ever worked properly. Except of course for the known bugs.

512 megs ram
160 gig Hard drive
P4 2.4 something or other
Nvidia grapics card, know not wich one 5200fx rings a bell
cache etc, oooer, dont know. It just works
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2005 10:12 Edited at: 26th Jun 2005 10:12
Quote: ""You shouldn't have any high resource programs running while running FPSC""

If thats the case and I agree with you that it is in many users particluar cases - then thats just because FPSC is over agressive and unduely memory intensive across the board. This is what causes the poor performance, slow speeds and FPS, lagg and other well documented memory issues that FPSC has.

Its largely not an individual system problem but an FPSC one on all machines - they all suffer to a lesser or greater degree. If its greater one - on some systems you will get major problems with the programme or you wont run it at all.

There is no other high end, memory hungry programme of any kind including your 3D rendering or moedelling apps or game engines that I know of that comes close to FPSC in this respect.

This is a programme that the makers say is designed for the average non professional user with a computer system to match (not even forum types leave alone your HOLLYWOOD film producers studios with the highest of spec systems.) and it should therefore be designed to run on them perfectly adequately without the user requireing a degree in computer science. After all the majority of the market specifically said to be aimed at by TGC themselves as potential purchasers and users of FPSC would not even know what "going to sleep is" and they should not be expected to know.

I have not had any serious problem re installation - though I am subject of course to FPSC mem problems as is anyone else. It seems that ever since the release of EA it has been very erratic in its behaviour across a wide range of differing users machines.

Hopefully as has been suggested some of these speed and memory issues will be addressed with the release of V1.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 08:04:49
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 08:04:49