Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / TGC Update - June 27th

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 07:53 Edited at: 28th Jun 2005 07:59
Hi, yes it's true - we are still here working on FPS Creator. Only I went on holiday, Lee has continued to work week after week on Version 1 of FPSC.

Lee has been totally focused on the multiplayer code for the last 2 months and the results are very cool indeed. Last Friday there were four of us playing an arena that Lee had created. Lee simply hosted the game on his PC and we all joined his hosted game over the internet (no need for a dedicated server). The action was fast and furious and by the end of our 15 minute killing spree the level was totally covered in blood.

The multiplayer code is able to keep track of all player movements, targeted shots between players, health pick ups and door movements. Even with some lag the code is cleverly written to ensure you're experience is as smooth as possible.

The 3D engine has also increased in speed. Lee found some major slow downs that he did not catch when we released EA. The 3D sound had been causing a major slow down and he also found that objects that should have been disregarded from the frame rendering were still being processed.

I will use fraps this week to capture some in-game action from our next multiplayer test and we'll post this up on the site to show you what's happening. We'll also show you the physics engine from the single player section too.

Development continues and we should have a very good idea as to when V1 will be ready when we reach the end of July (by which time we hope to have dealt with all the extra functionality).

Thanks for being patient, we are working hard to bring you a game making tool that'll knock your socks off!

Commercial Director
TGC Team
[Read "The POWER of NOW by Eckhart Tolle". There is no past or future, only NOW!]
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 09:14
All Hail TGC team, cant wait to see the videos

MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 09:29
When you said "targeted shots between players" did you mean you can have text on the side say headshot or something like that?

http://files.filehosting.org/tt52074.jpg
Submit your stick figure animations or games
at http://www.geocities.com/thechurchedition
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 09:41
Thank you for the update. The more updates ... the happier the customer is while waiting As anxious as I am to play with the new FPSC, I am just as excited about the DBP packs and updates that will follow. I think this will make you guys alot of money and make game making easier for all.

MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 09:53
Ok. Didn't read it clearly.

"What is today but yesterdays tomorrow" -MaddA
Scottie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 11:38
Sounds great! Thanks for the exciting update!
glyvin101
Years of Service
User Offline
give TGCs a woot woot
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 14:39
Woot Woot!
lol

glyvin101
Years of Service
User Offline
very good
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 17:20
All I meant was that when someone shoots someone else on their client PC, this information is then passed to the server which then sends out a depletion of health to the player who was shot. Sorry, it was late for me last night and my eye sight and spelling was poor!

Also failed to mention that you can send text messages to other players by pressing T for talk.

Just got the latest arena file from Lee, so I'm off now for a play

Commercial Director
TGC Team
[Read "The POWER of NOW by Eckhart Tolle". There is no past or future, only NOW!]
Lumpy Pottybiscuits
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 00:05
Fantastic news. Kudos to all for your hard work.

Thanks also for having the foresight to greenlight the concept of FPS creator.
IMO, this product fills a much needed niche.

I have never had a desire to spend months of my time on a mod that simply enhances existing games.

It only enriches other studios by selling more copies of their game ("Dude, I created a b*tchin level, but you need a copy of BrandX to play it with me." Ka'ching goes the cash register, $50 goes to Mr. Software Publisher).
No wonder they all give away the SDK and development tools on the game disc.

I would also never be able to pull off financing to license Doom, Unreal engines ($350,000 and up)just to get my own studio started.

That said, I hope the final price for licensing FPS won't be too expensive, but still provide a satisfactory return for TGC.

I don't know about others, but I would be willing to enter into a subscription based service to ensure ongoing support for the product.

I currently subscribe to variety of sites based on this model. I pay a yearly premium for support, updates, content, etc. and when a new version is released I get it at a reduced rate.

I would be willing to do the same for FPS creator to maintain a viable product and sustainable revenues for TGC.

Thanks again for your efforts and for a cool product enabling many to realize their great game ideas.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 06:48
We had a blast this afternoon. Lee made a new level with up to 4 players. The code held together just great and so Lee is left just with a list of tweaks on the MP work now.

In MP mode you can use weapons that shoot, eg shot guns, lazers, mini guns, machine guns, the tavor lazer rifle etc. The cool thing about the tavor is that if you have it in zoom mode and you hit your target, then the player you hit goes down - it's risky though because you cannot scan around so well in zoom mode.

I think you'll all get a great deal of satisfaction from making your own MP levels and playing against your friends. Let me explain how i works:

* You choose the type of game you are to make, single player or MP arena.
* If you place say 2 Aiko characters into your arena then the MP game will offer only these characters for your MP game. Add 2 more Aikos and you'll have a 4 player MP game.
* If you have 4 different characters, say Aiko, Nazi Thug, Conker and Colonel X, then your game will offer one of these to each player. As each player joins, the characters grey out in the list. So first come, first served - of course the player who hosts the game has first choice.
* The host player will be the server, so his system does all the message work too, so it's best this is hosted by the player with the best PC.
* When you design the game you choose how many frags the game will play to, so you just keep blasting and respawning until the player with the most frags hits the target and wins.

I will make a video this week because text does not really tell you much!

Commercial Director
TGC Team
Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 08:53 Edited at: 29th Jun 2005 08:54
Sounds good and im glad to hear that the speed issue in the EA was just sound and rendering problems explains why huge areas caused so much slow down, just curious about one thing though

Quote: "I will use fraps this week to capture some in-game action from our next multiplayer test and we'll post this up on the site to show you what's happening. We'll also show you the physics engine from the single player section too."

Does this mean that the physics engine will be only avalible in single player mode and not in mp, not that i would expect you guys to have it running at the present time anyways but will it be in both types of games later on or even added in later?

Your signature has been erased by a mod -- please resize to under 600x120...
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 10:10
If anyone wants to know what is going on every other day from my development dungeon, just take a peek at my diary entries. They pretty much cover blow by blow accounts of which piece of code I am working on. Might spoil the mystique of the final product, but might be of interest to the budding programmers out there (maybe). Anyhoo, not my custom to stay long, so will disappear once again into the mist of mist-ery

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 11:34
Will there be any mic support to chat too? Or maybe sometime in an update?

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 18:09
That's right Zone Chicken, no physics in the MP - hopefully something we can add in a future version.

No Mic support in this first release.

Players now have shadow blobs under them which has made a big difference.

Commercial Director
TGC Team
MarkDark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 19:47
Hello.

When is V1 actually going to come out? Its my birthday soon!

And my sats results are being released as we speak so if i get good results, my dad will treat me to FPSCreator!

*FIRST POST*

From MarkDark.

I am MarkDark. The worlds #1 solo games developer.
The only thing is when i die, heaven dont want me and hells scared i'll take over!
Programmer Dave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 20:17
Cool.
Can't wait for the vid.

I'm the guy you love to hate.
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 00:11
Well I can wait for mic support. Shadows will make a big differance.

One question. Do you mis the physics when you play mulitplayer maps RickV? Are the physics the same as what we have now in the ea?(for multiplayer)

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 04:23
There is far too much shooting, killing and dieing in MP to worry about Physics!!! Trust me, the MP is way cool and you will just love making levels to play your friends against. Today's test was great, Lee has made some extra passage ways, so it was even trickier to know where the enemy was coming from. Mike is the best FPS player on our team and he was dominating the level by staying near the uzi and killing anyone who dare get near it.

Commercial Director
TGC Team
E D G E C R A F T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 07:29 Edited at: 30th Jun 2005 07:59
Lee Bamber,

where do I access your diary entries ?

EDIT, Apologies, found them through the frontpage, Community > Developer Network.

Regards

Looking forward to version 1!
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 08:30
Cool. Thanks RickV.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 09:31
I'm so glad to hear that Version 1 is so near completion! The multiplayer implementations and there explaination of use are excelent. One question, are these strictly multiplayer maps or can a multilevel/multiplayer game be made, such as co-op mode?Thanks for your time.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 13:18
Currently the only game mode is one on one death match. But you can certainly set up a game where you have say 2 Colonel X characters and 2 Conkers. Then you and your friends just have to team up.

We will add the ability to do co-op in a later version for sure.

Commercial Director
TGC Team
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 09:05
very cool. no rush , perfection takes time and you guys are doing a bangup job already.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 09:05
ya, i wanna know that too...i dont use any of the standard issue charecter models in my game...and i wanna put MP in my game..

also...will MP have different maps that you can chooe from one exe?

will there be a MP option in the menu...or its completely separate from SP?

I am really BULLSHOCK, but my profile got deleted...really, i'm telling the truth!
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 10:13
We need answers here mods

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 22:43
Your saved MP level will be the only level in your exe (for V1 anyway). You can add your own graphics and textures, you just need to make sure each player who wants to play your game has your exe.

Each MP game has a game ID, so when you host a game, other with that same game exe can only see a list of players hosting that specific exe (so you don't end up with a massive list of games all using different data).

Commercial Director
TGC Team
brushswinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 23:26
So. As I see it, you have to design a level, and give a copy of that level to your friends. You can then all play the same level.

Im stuffed then.

I dont have any friends!

Anyone want to be my friend???
E D G E C R A F T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 23:54
Hi,

We've heard a lot about the new items mostly relating to Multiplayer and Physics, which, not to knock anything, sound fantastic, and I'm looking forward to them, but, can you comment on the general engine related upgrades with regards to art and rendering ? Are we to get full support for a shader system ? Per-Pixel Lighting ? Will the sandbox 40x40 be made bigger ?, I'm mainly interested to hear what areas have been worked on / or are 'going' to be worked on with regards to art ?

Thanks
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 00:58
Are there menus to select a mp levels?

Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2005 07:41
Hey RickV,

I'm unsure about all this. So can we have scripting AT ALL in MP levels? Say switch pressing or elevators, can these be used in MP? I really really want online co-op in FPSC, can this be done in V1 or will it not?
xmgax
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2005 19:13
Hold on, i dont understand....If you go onto a server, what model are you, and the other non-AI Players?

MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2005 09:58
I think we all need help here so lets a cuddle up in a ball and wait for Rick or someone to respond. This stuff about player selecting and how to select a mp levels is driving me crazy!

@RickV we are all in need of a nice long warm update. Right guys?

Yah...I starting to not understand what I'm typing again.....huuuhhh

DA ChieF
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 03:01
Sounds like it's going to be the game creation program of the decade.
Too bad that there's no physics in MP mode, but what the hell, when you're blowing your friends up, you won't be missing that too much, right?
There's only one thing that's missing to make it perfect, bumpmapping.
The physics does apply to other objects than enemies, right? Like barrels, glass and stuff.

Two things to look forward to:
The day I get my "Leisure Suit Larry's Ultimate Pleasure Pack"
The day FPSC v 1 is released
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2005 21:45
EHEM!!! mods!!! please!! these people are hungry!!! ok, nevermind. i'll translate lee's diary (oh, sure. i'd like to see ANYONE do that)
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 09:47
Thanks for the translation Merranvo, it reads better than mine too I look forward to my next diary!

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 14:23 Edited at: 13th Jul 2005 14:26
Can you send me a link to Lee's diary please?
Ecoman68
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

@RickV:

...what's about the video? The week is over...

Thx a lot!

Cu,
Ecoman68
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 17:01 Edited at: 18th Jul 2005 03:24
New Update:

Last Known Multiplayer Bug Fixed. (YEAH)

"few arena related buttons, options and texts" --- unknown, more to follow

New FPI actions allowing items to be destroyed thus triggering other events. Items to be detected within a zone thus triggering other events.

"Lateral moving platforms" (YES... MOVING LIFTS, THE WORLD IS SAVED)

"BIG PRESENTATION" on friday... pray that it went all right.

"Until Then Me Thinks"

(From News Letters)
debris system

Players can pick-up objects (you assign the weight of objects directly in the editor) and throw / place them, which means you could force a player to construct a bridge across a lava stream by picking-up and laying down planks of wood.

whole set of superb new sound effects to replace the gun effects currently in FPSC EA

(Models From News Letters)
http://files.thegamecreators.com/newsletter/TGCChristmasPresentBIG.zip

Blasting, Shooting, and Maiming. Aspects of Modern Gamming.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2005 01:14
I will make the video, sorry other things just got in my way and then I got a death bug that made me vomit. yuck!

I will make the video and it will be part of the next Newsletter.

Commercial Director
TGC Team
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2005 09:28
awesome!
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2005 01:46
Very! May i put it on my web site when it comes?

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2005 23:50
The video is done. Rich has it and will release it tonight as part of the Newsletter!

Let me know what you think.

Commercial Director
TGC Team
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 00:13
WooWOOOOO!
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 02:45
Can'T WaiT!
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 03:49
I'm just back from my camp, lucky I am that it wasn't released a couble of days before, don't wanna miss it

Don't eat yellow snow!
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 07:12
HOLY **** THAT VID RULED!
Thanks guys for this, its just what i needed.
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 10:28 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2005 10:29
That was awesome Lee and devs!!!!
Thanks!

Here's the story. I was on the phone to my friend talking about mxpx([href]www.mxpx.com[/href]). I got a bit bored, so I went and sat on my throne(pc chair ) and checked my email remembering about tonights awesome newsletter. I logged in. There in front of my eyes it said "1 unread message"!!! I thought maybe It was another anoying email from Bravenet(web hoasting and stuff), But it wasen't...it was the TGC Newsletter! I went down to the part about FPSC and played the video. I watched in extreme shock . I could sort-of hear my friend in the background still talking to me. I wasn't listining...but I can't just hang up. So...I threw in a couple "ohhs" and "yahs". I couldn't believe what I was watching...Improved enemy AI!!!!! I started yelling and overexagerating! I couldn't help it. Whitnessing the multiplayer was awesome! But... sadley the video came to an end! That was when I new I needed to go over and thank my Lee statue(dirty socks). My heart rate is above normal as I right this. My hands are shakey. YAYYYYYYYYY!!!

No seriosely. Thanks Lee for all of your efforts from gardening to deving FPSC. THANK YOU!

forget my spelling ppl I can hardely stop my hands from shaking ,
DA ChieF
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 06:42
wasn't this stikyied?

Blasting, Shooting, and Maiming. Aspects of Modern Gamming.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:03:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:03:12